Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lynayah

Wal-mart Raw Chicken Leg & Thigh Pieces Gluten-free?

Hi,

Does anyone know if Wal-Mart's Raw Chicken Leg & Thigh Pieces are Gluten-Free -- the large bag they carry in the meat section? There are flavoring additives in the meat, and I saw on the web that the meat may not be gluten-free. Does anyone know for sure? Where did you get the information?

Which store brands of raw chicken are safe? Does anyone have a source for a list they might share?

I no longer have the packaging and plan to check the next time I'm at Wal-Mart. The family member who made the chicken for me said he checked the package it it seemed okay, but without my looking at it, I'm not sure.

I'm still learning where to go to research all this stuff on my own, so if anyone has links, etc., they'd be welcome.

Thank you so much!

Gluten Intolerant with double HLA-DQ6. Pre-diagnosis: Weight gain, swelling, diarrhea, mouth sores, back pain, body aches, fatigue, muscle weakness, BRAIN FOG, runny nose, recurrent sinus infections, bruising, low white cell count (whole life), and more. My feet were so bad, I could hardly walk. Toward the end: Chronic Vit. D deficiency (almost no D in my body despite a quality multi-vit. each day).

There is hope! Gluten-free since Sept. '09, and I have my life back - I feel better than in many, many years!

Favorite quotation: "You must do the thing you think you cannot do." - Eleanor Roosevelt

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

If you go to that thread meantioned I put a link there to the page put up by the USDA. If there are flavorings added the ingredients of those flavorings do not need to be disclosed. I usually call a company to make sure if a meat has broth or flavorings added.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

If it is a Wal-Mart brand, it will say gluten free on it.

1960s-had symptoms-could have been before but don't remember

1970s-told had colitis or nervous stomach-was given phenobarbital, felt great but still had symptoms

Me, dd and ds diagnosed with Lactose Intolerance

2000-osteopenia

2001-had stroke because of medications I was given

June 2003-saw Chiropractor who specialized in nutrition: Celiac Disease not Lactose Intolerance, went gluten free with once in awhile cheating, off soy and dairy for about 6 months

June 2003-found excellent doctor for fibromyalgia (who has found out she has Celiac Disease)

May 2006-went gluten free with NO cheating-excellent! Made all the difference in the world

If it is a Wal-Mart brand, it will say gluten free on it.

I need to check next time I am there. Thank you for the reminder.

Gluten Intolerant with double HLA-DQ6. Pre-diagnosis: Weight gain, swelling, diarrhea, mouth sores, back pain, body aches, fatigue, muscle weakness, BRAIN FOG, runny nose, recurrent sinus infections, bruising, low white cell count (whole life), and more. My feet were so bad, I could hardly walk. Toward the end: Chronic Vit. D deficiency (almost no D in my body despite a quality multi-vit. each day).

There is hope! Gluten-free since Sept. '09, and I have my life back - I feel better than in many, many years!

Favorite quotation: "You must do the thing you think you cannot do." - Eleanor Roosevelt

And as the USDA has told me numerous times, it doesn't matter what part of the additives to raw meat, ALL grains must be listed. Period. With meat, just read the ingredients. It's very easy.

richard