hilwacat

Lunch Help, Please.

Rate this topic

Hello all,

I am so BORED with my gluten-free lunches, I need some new ideas! I usually make a big dinner and then eat the leftovers all week for lunch. For the last year all I've made is:

rice noodle lasagna

Ricotta and spinach pie

rice crust pizza

I am not a big fan of gluten-free breads- very crumbly- but I would like some options. What are your favorites?

common dinners (that lead to leftovers for lunch) around here are:

chicken-rice soup

beef stew

chinese stir fry

lentil soup

salmon pasta salad

though, last night I made summer rolls (like spring rolls, but with rice paper wraps, and not fried, but served cold) - quite tasty, and make a good lunch too.

I like La Tortilla Factory Ivory Teff wraps. They are good with sandwich fillings and also good as a super thin crust pizza.

I also make more dinner than I should so I can have leftovers the next day. I make stuff like slow cooker chicken cordon blue, borscht, Shepard's pie, pizza soup, jambalaya... pretty much anything I can make with the local sale ads. But I keep the teff wraps on hand so I don't get bored.

Hello all,

I am so BORED with my gluten-free lunches, I need some new ideas! I usually make a big dinner and then eat the leftovers all week for lunch. For the last year all I've made is:

rice noodle lasagna

Ricotta and spinach pie

rice crust pizza

I am not a big fan of gluten-free breads- very crumbly- but I would like some options. What are your favorites?

Click on the link below then choose Gluten Free lunch in the Left Hand Column.

The Gluten Free Chef.Com

Best Regards,

David

Tuna salad, tuna on a rice cake, peanut bettuer and banana on a rice cake, anything on a rice cake haha...greek salad, veggies, fruits, cold turkey (on a rice cake!)...There are TONS of foods we can eat, no need to eat the same thing every single day!

I am very new to eating gluten-free and I love soups, but find most store-bought soups have gluten in them. :(

At a health food store I found gluten-free soups, so far I have tried Amy's Organic Soup (chunky vegetable) and really liked it.

And I like Crunchmaster's Multi-seeded crackers to go with it.

I love the corn tortilla wraps, warmed and filled with gluten free lunchmeat which I can eat, egg salad, tuna salad. Sometimes I just take the tuna or egg salad and fill and eat with a side of glutino crackers. Leftovers are best, oh and baked potatoes with brocolli and cheese, or sour cream.

Kiddo likes Pamela's bread mix for sandwiches.

If you get a loaf of gluten-free bread that you don't like, make it into french toast and freeze for easy breakfasts or P.B. and J french toast sandwiches OR use for grillled cheese sandwiches.

Healthy Choice chicken and rice soup or some of the Progresso soups are gluten-free. Dinty Moore Beef stew is gluten-free. I save scraps of meat or cook just a little extra to add to the soup or stew and sometimes add a little extra veg. to extend it and up the nutrition.

Grain salads are great for lunches-quinoa, wild rice blend, with nuts, fruit, veg and vinaigrette. There are quite a variety of recipes out there.

I put turkey thighs in the crock pot -- for 2 thighs, skin them, put in 1 8oz jar of tomato sauce, garlic, chopped onion, and spices (I use Penzey's Chicken Taco and Northwoods Fire), cook on High for 3 to 3.5 hours. Shred the turkey and it's a great base for corn tortilla wraps, or served over rice, or with black beans, rice, and cheese in enchiladas.

BTW ... if you haven't been introduced to Penzey's spices ... they rock (even if their ordering website is primitive by modern standards) http://www.penzeys.com/ -- and I haven't found any of their spices, spice mixes, salad dressing mixes (which are just spices, no fillers), or soup bases that aren't gluten-free, though their soup bases do have soy and corn (their modified food starch is corn based and they use soybean oil).

PB&J on pancakes

Tuna salad eaten with potato chips (like a dip)

Fried rice

scrambled eggs

Crepes with ham and cheese wrapped inside

Pulled pork (we eat it bunless)

Tortilla Chips and Green Goddess Veggie dip (http://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/lofiversion/index.php/t60204.html)

A leftover makeover - I roast a whole chicken with an apple stuffed in the cavity with Wal-Mart chicken broth poured in the bottom of the pan and Lawry's seasoning salt on the chicken. I make the chicken for dinner and serve with wild rice. After dinner I cut leftover chicken into small pieces. Then turn broth/drippings into a gravy by adding some corn starch mixed with cold water and cooking until thick. Then mix gravy with left over rice and chicken and you have lunch for the next day or two.

A second leftover makeover - pot roast/potatoes/carrots/green beans/mushrooms as the first meal. Then cut up left overs and do the same thing with the roast broth/juice as above to thicken it. Voila! Beef stew!