StacyA

Gastrointestinal Yeast Questions

Rate this topic

I'm new to gluten-free, and even had to go back on gluten for 3 weeks for my biopsy, so I know that it'll take time for my GI sxs to clear - however my villous damage was only 'mild' and I'm experiencing a lot of intestinal gurgling and mucous in my stool and I've started to wonder about yeast (I searched through old posts about my symptoms). I think an intestinal parasite 'woke up' my celiac's this summer. To get rid of the parasite I was on flagyll three months ago - and in response I developed thrush and a vaginal yeast infection. I got prescription lozenges for the thrush and OTC cream for the vaginal yeast infection - but I'm realizing those were both topical treatments - could I still be out of whack yeast-wise in my GI system or is it more stable than the other two areas? When I was diagnosed my GI gave me some probiotic samples, but I didn't buy any more, and I know the yogurts aren't very strong. Any input?

I've been on Cipro for 6 months now and I'm starting to believe I may have intestinal yeast issues.

I'm going to start taking Candex and I've already seen improvements with the probiotic PB8 . It's the first probiotic that has worked for me. Try those two things and let us know how you feel and I'll do the same.

When my youngest son was under 1 year old he had this problem. He was sick so much and on so many antibiotics that it completely wiped out the good bacteria in his intestines. I gave him probiotics in his sippy cup, but that was not enough. He took medicine for the overgrowth in the bowel and nystatin for thrush. He would pass mucus from his bowels without any stool. When he did stool it had a very "yeasty" odor and was pale. It has been a long road, but since 3 1/2 he has been healthy. The key was and is to keep him as healthy as possible, give him probiotics, and off of antibiotics. I even would ask for blood work to check to see if his illness was leaning toward viral or bacterial infections. He started seeing an allergist/immunologist when he was 14 months old. He is almost 5 and if the doctor gives us a clean bill on next visit ( he will be 6 months medication free) then he will be released! :)

I just bought a month's worth of Align (that was the sample my GI doc gave me) - so I'll try that. - Stacy

I tried Align and it didn't work for me but it did work for my Mom who also has Celiac. If it doesn't work just try another one. You should notice a difference in about a week. I noticed a difference with PB8 in 2 days.

what kind of changes should I see? I currently just started a pro/prebiotic yesterday

Depends on what kind of issues you have. I had a grumbly/rumbly stomach and a lot of gas. These problems resolved when I started taking PB8. I take two capsules in the morning and two before bed which is twice the daily ammount on the bottle. I also find I'm a lot more regular.

I have been taking antibiotics for months so I think it helped me more than the average joe because all my good bacteria was destroyed but I know it helps regular celiac folks as well. If you don't see a big difference try taking a little more. Like I said before you may need to try more than one before you find the one your body likes the most.