Rate this topic

I drink plenty of water throughout the day and I am not constantly going to the bathroom. I had a gluclose test done which came back fine. Last night I decided to have my last drink of water at 8:15 so I wouldn't have to get up early to go to the bathroom. That was a big mistake because I got a horrible headache as if I hadn't had water all day or had been out drinking. I don't drink anything else but water during the day and had at least 8 glasses yesterday. Food for the day was just oatmeal, apple w/p-nut butter for snack, salad for lunch and corn tacos with black beans and cheese and tomatos. So how can I feel so dehydrated? I drink at least 8 glasses everyday too!

I'm not sure exactly how or why, but I do have a similar issue. I've had my blood sugar tested repeatedly and it is usually low-normal. I play a lot of sports (hockey & soccer are my main sports) that are taxing on the body and cause me to lose a lot of fluid through sweat. I drink an entire nalgene (1 litre of water, I think) before the game, plus an entire Powerade and one more water bottle during the game. During the day I carry a water bottle around with me at all times and am constantly drinking, plus I usually have one juice box (apple or orange) at lunch (I'm a uni student).

I am peeing a lot though. It was so bad at one point that while I was reading in bed I had to get up every 10 minutes to pee and had a hard time getting to sleep because of always feeling like I had to go. One mistake I had made was discontinuing my B12 supplement. I take a multi-vitamin, an iron supplement, a Calcium-Vitamin D-Magnesium combined supplement, and now am back on my B12. At one DR visit I was told my B12 was in the low-normal range and I thought this meant I could stop taking it. My DR told me that because of my celiac disease I will always need to take supplements.

I have no idea if this is related or just a coincidence, but ever since I started taking my B12 again I don't pee as often and don't feel quite so thirsty. I still have to be very careful when playing sports to stay very hydrated (I get dehydrated so easily and get very weak and sometimes faint), but for some reason things have improved.

So perhaps it's a vitamin issue/deficiency? Or perhaps an electrolyte deficiency? You're drinking a lot of water, but are you drinking things that replace your salt and sugar too? If we sweat and/or pee a lot, we are also losing salt and sugar and those need to be replaced. I'm not sure if this is helpful, but I thought I'd share since we seem to have a similar affliction. :)

Jillian

8 glasses may not be enough for you. Are you on any medications? Check how much sodium is in your diet, too. Do you engage in labor activities during the day? As a rule of thumb, you should take your weight, divide it in half, and drink the same amount in oz. each day. Start your day by drinking 2 full glasses (12 oz glasses) before you have anything else. I drink 64 + oz a day and find when I don't I not only get headaches but I get cramps in my legs at night, too.

It's good you had your glucose checked, that was my first thought. The fact that you are NOT peeing a lot during the day,makes me think you need to be drinking more.

I have been using Hymalyan Salt Drink every morning to help combat dehydration. If you search the term on YouTube, you will find videos that explain it.

There is also a book: Water and Salt, The Essence of Life.

I am not smart about it, but I've been using it, and it has helped me very much.

Also, Hymalyan Salt on food is AMAZINGLY WONDERFUL. Really, really, really good.