This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Brand New Diagnosis

beks

beks Newbie

Hi everyone,

I am a 21 y/o female. Over Christmas, I started having severe abdominal pain. Recently (as in 2 hours ago) I found out that my bloodwok/biopsies show Celiac Disease. I am being referred to a dietician but I have to admit...I am lost.

Food has been such a big part of my life and I live in a culture that is very based around eating.

How does everyone handle this? First of all, I feel fine now. So should I still follow a strict gluten-free diet? I know that I have Celiac Disease but it isnt setting in because Im not "sick".

If anyone has any words of wisdom for me, I could really use it. I'm feeling a little alone here.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Well first..I hope you get a good dietitian who knows alot about celiac because some dietitians say spelt is ok and it is not it is a form of wheat.

Basically you have to be committed to this diet. If you ignore the diet you increase your chances by 40-100 times to get cancer, diabetes, liver/gallbladder/kidney/pancreas complications, osteoporosis, and other serious things. They say you can knock years off of your life and it is not worth your life.

You need to get rid of your toaster and get a new one, you need to check lipsticks(alot have wheat starch), shampoos, lotions, other cosmetics because they can easily cross contaminate and get into your mouth

This site has wonderful information and you will get the hang of things in no time. It does seem a bit overwhelming at first but it really isn't and it becomes a part of life. There are still some "normal" things we can have...and some of the gluten free products I find better then the gluten containing ones. As hard as it may seem you need to follow this diet...your family should be tested as well because this is a genetic autoimmune disorder.

Hang in there :D

Peaches503 Newbie

Hi,

I too am 21 and was diagnosed only a month ago, but was not getting severely sick. I can tell you that keeping yourself educated is the most important thing to do. Despite how you may feel, it is necessary to remain 100% gluten free for life. Any time it seems tempting for me to eat gluten, I think about how much I want children, or how much I want to have a long life with my fiancee and my family. This puts things in perspective and makes it easier to resist. Just hang in there, and most importantly, remember that you have a good support group here at celiac.com.

-Peaches

beks Newbie

Thanks everyone,

My main concern is going out. How does everyone handle it. i know that mcDonalds is probably out of the question but does it take a while to build up the courage to ask? I never want to eat out again!

tarnalberry Community Regular

Regardless of your current symptoms, if you have celiac disease (and tests don't give false positives), yes, you MUST be ABSOLUTELY gluten free. If you don't, you increase your risk for anemia, vitamin deficiences, osteoporsis, lots of other ailments, intestinal cancers, premature death because, regardless of the symptoms you feel, damage will be done to your intestines. (Most celiacs out there are "silent" - and most of those don't know it because they've never experienced GI symptoms.)

It is overwhelming at first, and if a few crying sessions help, don't feel bad for doing it, because this is a major lifestyle change. Realize, though, that once you get over the learning curve, and once you build your new habit, it is not nearly as bad as it sounds now. While I don't have a cultural background that revolves around food, I do love to cook - for myself, my husband, my friends, my coworkers, etc. This really hasn't changed any of that, aside from some of the ingredients I might choose to use. And if, like most cultures that do a lot around food, this particular one primarily relies on whole ingredients and frowns upon buying premade stuff, then you're in an even better position, because the vast majority of homemade items can be made gluten-free without too much trouble. And finally, let's not forget that the reason some cultures have an investment in food is that it's just a way to bring families together, and you can do that while opting out of the eating as well. (Tougher, but an option.)

Spend some time looking around this site, and take a look at the safe/unsafe list on the main celiac.com website. Feel free to come back and ask questions, of course, and take one day at a time. You'll make mistakes, but over time you'll get the hang of it. It's something that takes a bit of time to get a handle on, but we're all adaptable human beings, and the non-gluten-free food can be just as tasty. :-) (I personally recommend NOT relying on speciality gluten-free items, just eat whole foods that are naturally gluten-free. Requires some cooking, but tastes so good! :-) )

KaitiUSA Enthusiast
Thanks everyone,

My main concern is going out.  How does everyone handle it.  i know that mcDonalds is probably out of the question but does it take a while to build up the courage to ask?  I never want to eat out again!

https://www.celiac.com/st_main.html?p_catid=12

Here is a link to safe and not safe lists that Tiffany suggested you look at

As for McDonalds...their hashbrowns, fries, sundaes, M&M mcflurry, and a few other things are gluten free...if you go to their website it will tell you all of what is gluten free but do remember everywhere you eat out there is always a chance for cross contamination.

The Outback has a gluten free menu too...I have had no problem with them or McDonald's gluten free foods

Here are some brands where all you have to do is read the label...they will list wheat,rye, barley, oats on their label and will not hide gluten under anything questionable and if you do not see any of these ingredients then they are safe:

Aunt Nelly's

Balance

Baskin Robbins

Ben & Jerry

Betty Crocker

Blue Bunny

Breyers

Campbells

Cascadian Farms

Celestial Seasonings

Country Crock

Edy's

General Mills

Good Humor

Green Giant

Haagen Daz

Hellman's

Hershey

Hormel

Hungry Jack

Jiffy

Knorr

Kozy Shack

Kraft

Libby's

Lipton

Martha White

McCormick

Nabisco

Nestle

Old El Paso

Ortega

Pillsbury

Popsicle

Progresso

Russell Stover

Seneca Foods

Smucker

Stokely's

Sunny Delight

T Marzetti

Tyson

Unilever

Wishbone

Yoplait

Zatarain's

Utz has gluten free products-check out their website

Conagra and Frito Lay also have some gluten free products.

It really isn't hard once you learn the ins and outs of it.

I agree with Tiffany though as far whole foods like veggies, and fruits that are naturally gluten free. That is the best way to go and alot healthier...I eat a mixture of things but try to keep more towards the healthier side.

No question is too dumb for this board so anytime you have a question just ask :D

ianm Apprentice

As time goes on this lifestyle becomes a habit and you won't think much about it. All I can say is for me it was the most liberating experience of my life. I was in such poor health that I seriously did not think I would live to see 40. In the past 14 months or so I have completely turned my life around. I have found the gluten-free experience to be a challenge but one that is worth the effort. Keep at it because it is worth it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived