kirsty1128

New Member In Need Of Help!

Rate this topic

Hi,

I am new to this site so sorry if i am posting in the wrong place :)

I have invited friends round to my house for dinner in a week's time. They are both on a Gluten & Lactose free diet. One is also type 1 diabetic so needs a fairly healthy diet too. I am looking for some simple (i am not a master chef!!) but tasty healthy recipe ideas. Could someone help me please?

Many Thanks,

Kirsty

Hi,

I am new to this site so sorry if i am posting in the wrong place :)

I have invited friends round to my house for dinner in a week's time. They are both on a Gluten & Lactose free diet. One is also type 1 diabetic so needs a fairly healthy diet too. I am looking for some simple (i am not a master chef!!) but tasty healthy recipe ideas. Could someone help me please?

Many Thanks,

Kirsty

I would just keep it simple; A good quality steak (barbecued or pan seared), maybe with sauteed mushrooms; a baked potato with whatever toppings they want, a really crisp salad (lettuce, red onion, avocado with a gluten free dressing--a vinaigrette of some kind?), and fruit and cheese platter for dessert (with some gluten free crackers if desired). That way, no one will feel at all uncomfortable eating your food. Simple is usually the best way to go. For appetizers you can do olives and nuts, home-made guacamole and chips, that kind of thing. Just make it so that everyone is comfortable that there is no gluten in there.

I am gluten and dairy free as well as diabetic. I stick with very simply prepared fresh meats and vegetables and nuts and am happy to get a meal that is prepared this way. Sautee'd vegetables- non-starchy vegetables, like broccoli, zucchini, califlower, etc. and/ or salad. Broiled fish, chicken breast etc. I often season and roast bone-in chicken breasts or other simple roasted meats that are seasoned with just herbs and/or individual spices and salt and pepper. Mushroom's suggested menu would be great that way I could choose not to eat the starchy vegetable-potato and have the steak and salad with avacado, which fits into my management plan and additional restrictions. I would probably politely ask for plain oil and vinegar if the dressing contained dairy or too many sugars.

The steak or other could not be prepared on a grill that has been used for meats that have been cooked with sauces, marinades or seasonings that contain gluten or in a non-stick pan or cast iron pan. A simple metal pan that has been well cleaned would be the safest choice to avoid cross-contamination.

Here's an easy and yummy fish recipe (I make it with Tuna steaks, throw them on the bbq, and cook them rare) Just make sure to use Gluten free soy sauce (La Choy, San-J):

http://southernfood.about.com/od/freshsalm.../r/bl10630e.htm

Pair it with a spinach salad with a few mandarin oranges and this dressing:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Asian-Ginger-...ing/Detail.aspx

serve the fish with plain Jasmine rice, and make a little extra dressing for pouring a bit on the rice.

For dessert, I've served coconut sherbet with a few mandarin oranges on top, but I'm not sure if the sherbet is dairy free. Green Tea would be good to serve after dinner.

Good Luck!!