nmlove

Good "sick" Foods For Sick Kids

Rate this topic

We're starting on a gluten free diet and my one child is sick with the flu. It's making me realize what comfort foods to give my oldest who can't have gluten. I'm sure he'll be sick soon... He's getting *D* today which usually picks up just before he gets sick. So, for sick stomach or not wanting to eat much? He doesn't do jello, mashed potatoes. Soup is a maybe depending on how he feels. And he did like the Annie's rice mac n cheese we tried the other day. Any ideas? Right now, my sick child isn't eating anything, just gatorade (only thing he'll drink, ugh, I hate the stuff but find it handy for times like these!). The gluten-free kid is four. Thanks!

Healthy Choice chicken and rice soup

bananas

Glutino crackers

applesauce

pudding cups

Safeway/Kroger brand condensed chicken & rice soup

Rice Chex to munch on

jello

yoplait yogurt

popsicles

plain Lays Stax

Thanks for the ideas. Chicken and rice soup will probably go over well (he likes chicken and noodle). Popsicles - of course! Pudding maybe as well as the cereal. I think I drew a blank because of my own recent craving and couldn't get around it - a grilled cheese sandwich with tomato soup (and I can't have it because of the dairy!). And substitutes are not the same. :) And I just kept thinking the BRAT diet of which only rice he'd eat.

How about making some yogurt popsicles? That way he's getting more than just sugar water or juice. Of course, that is if he can handle the milk products if he's feeling off.

when I'm not feeling well, one pot dishes sit best with me. chicken and rice soup. beef stew.

but sometimes something cold - like a smoothie - feels better.

since he likes rice, a nice bowl of rice porridge: cook the rice past al dente, add some honey or brown sugar and almond milk. nice and comforting

;0

My son recently was sick and he wanted egg drop soup! It's so easy to make and when you think about it, it's rellly very similar to Campbell's chicken noodle soup, which is basically just broth and noodles. The egg just becomes the noodle.

My son recently was sick and he wanted egg drop soup! It's so easy to make and when you think about it, it's rellly very similar to Campbell's chicken noodle soup, which is basically just broth and noodles. The egg just becomes the noodle.

That's a great idea! I read somewhere a long time ago about how eggs are good for getting over colds/flu more quickly. I wonder? Thanks!

I usually do white rice with a little chopped cooked chicken breast and some broth mixed in.

HomeMade gluten-free Graham Crackers is what my kids like when they are sick. I'll attach the recipe. Also, gatorade, rice, gluten-free toast, homemade chicken soup. (I make a large batch of chicken soup and freeze in individual containers in the freezer so I have for lunches or when they are sick). But, my kids really like the Graham Crackers. THey are not hard to make. When the kids are well, they make great smores!

Heres the recipe. Good luck! This recipe is made with Pamelas Pancake and Baking Mix, but you can substitue your own gluten-free flour blend. I just really like the baking mix. I use it in a lot of my old recipes to replace the flour.

Gluten Free Graham Crackers

1/3 cup Crisco Shortening

2/3 cup packed brown sugar

3 Tablespoons Honey

HomeMade gluten-free Graham Crackers is what my kids like when they are sick. I'll attach the recipe. Also, gatorade, rice, gluten-free toast, homemade chicken soup. (I make a large batch of chicken soup and freeze in individual containers in the freezer so I have for lunches or when they are sick). But, my kids really like the Graham Crackers. THey are not hard to make. When the kids are well, they make great smores!

Heres the recipe. Good luck! This recipe is made with Pamelas Pancake and Baking Mix, but you can substitue your own gluten-free flour blend. I just really like the baking mix. I use it in a lot of my old recipes to replace the flour.

Thanks for the recipe! I'll try it. My kids love graham crackers and I was wondering if a replacement would be good. Graham crackers were the first thing my son ate after gatorade (he doesn't have to be gluten-free).