BethBBB

Testing Today - Question!

Rate this topic

My first post!

I was so surprised last week to find that there is a home kit available for testing. My mom had celiac disease, and my daughter has symptoms. I have asked her doctor to do a test, and he ended up ordering a full blood panel for $750.00. I put it on hold for a bit due to cost, and considered going gluten free without the test, but I know that is the wrong thing to do!

To make a long story short, I was even more excited to find that the kit is for sale at our local pharmacy. I have read the testing information and understand that it may have shortcomings, but I'm going to do it anyways.

My question is, she is currently fighting a strep infection, taking antibiotics, and hasn't eaten alot in the last 48 hours.

Will any of this affect the test results? My general understanding of celiac tells me no, it won't matter, but I wanted to see what others thought.

Open to all comments and info!

Beth

It's never a good idea to do any kind of testing while a person is ill or taking antibiotics. Just to be on the safe side, wait until she's well and off the antibiotics, and then do the testing.

The illness and antibiotics shouldn't make any difference IMHO. With a family history of celiac and your DD showing symptoms a trial of the diet is in order no matter what the test results. Just don't start the diet until all testing for celiac you choose to do is finished.