This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Could My 3 Month Old Have Celiac Disease?

alainagros

alainagros Newbie

I have a 3 month old son that was born at a normal weight and other than a bout of viral meningitis at 4 days old, is relatively healthy. He has severe reflux, he doesn't spit up, the pediatrician explained that the formula comes back up and just sits in his esophogaus, and it burns for him. He was on Nutramigen, which is gluten-free, for about 2 months, and was gaining weight at a steady pace and staying in the 50th percentile. 3 weeks ago, we switched him back to Enfamil Lipil (the Nutramigen was supposed to help the refulux and keep him off of medicine, but since he had to be on medicine anyway, we put him back on the Lipil). Well since he's been on the Lipil, he hasn't gained a single ounce and has fallen to the 10th percentile for his weight. His pediatrician suggested that it may be Celiac disease causing the failure to thrive. Does this sound right? Should I push for him to be tested? I'm not sure what the tests consists of, so I don't want to put him through unnecessary pain (if there is any) if this doesn't sound like Celiac disease. Help!!

**He also has eczema

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

KristaleeJane Contributor

Hi there,

It sounds like you are having a lot of issues already, you can find great information at the following website. Click on it, or copy and paste into your browser.

Good luck

Open Original Shared Link

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Your son's history mirrors my sons. He also had menigitis at under a month old. You could ask for a blood test but do be aware that at his age the likelyhood of a false negative is high. I would get the blood test done while he is still on the formula that seems linked to the issue and then unless you are going to put him through the endoscopy I would get back onto the gluten-free formula no matter what the test results.

alainagros Newbie

I really don't want to put him through the endoscopy, so I want to switch him back to the gluten-free formula to see if it makes a difference. But at the same time, I want to know NOW if gluten-free has to be his lifestyle or not, you know? I don't just want to guess about it right now, and as he gets older, if he eats anything with gluten, I don't want him to have problems. We go back to the gastrologist Tuesday for a weight check, I guess I'll have to see what he says.

nora-n Rookie

There was a mother with a small child that reacted very much to breast milk if hte mother was consuming gluten, and was fine when she ate gluten free. The older brother was celiac. But she did not manage to get a diagnosis (endoscopy). The baby did not thrive while she was eating gluten. Afterwards she thought she should have just kept the child off gluten, and not pursued a diagnosis.

It is not so easy to get a diagnosis under 8 months or 1 year.

In my opinion, just try to get a blood test and keep the baby off gluten afterwards.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online (within 30 mins)

Robert Noah
    Newest Member
    Robert Noah
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      1m

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A22):

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Upcoming Events

• Nacina
      Well, that's a big question. When he was seeing the nutrition response testing dr. that changed each time we went in. He hasn't been seeing him regularly for theist ten months. When he had a horribly week in March I started him back on the 4 that were suggested to keep him on. Those are: Standard Process Chlorophyll Complex gluten-free, SP A-F Betafood gluten-free, SP Tuna Omega-3 Oil gluten-free, And Advanced Amino Formula. He also takes a one a day from a company called Forvia (multivitamin and mineral) and Probiotic . Recently he had to start Vitamin D as well as he was deficient.  
    • Fluka66
      Thank you again for your reply and comments which I have read carefully as I appreciate any input at this stage. I'm tending to listen to what my body wants me to do, having been in agony for many years any respite has been welcome and avoiding all wheat and lactose has thankfully brought this.  When in pain before I was seen by a number of gynacologists as I had 22 fibroids and had an operation 13 years ago to shrink them . However the pain remained and intensified to the point over the years where I began passing out. I was in and out of a&e during covid when waiting rooms where empty. My present diet is the only thing that's given me any hope for the future. As I say I had never heard of celiac disease before starting so I guess had this not come up in a conversation I would just have carried on. It was the swollen lymph node that sent me to a boots pharmacist who immediately sent me to a&e where a Dr asked questions prescribed antibiotics and then back to my GP. I'm now waiting for my hospital appointment . Hope this answers your question. I found out more about the disease because I googled something I wouldn't normally do, it did shed light on the disease but I also read some things that this disease can do. On good days I actually hope I haven't got this but on further investigation my mother's side of the family all Celtic have had various problems 're stomach pain my poor grandmother cried in pain as did her sister whilst two of her brother's survived WW2 but died from ulcers put down to stress of fighting.  Wishing you well with your recovery.  Many thanks  
    • knitty kitty
      Welcome to the forum, @Nacina, What supplements is your son taking?
    • knitty kitty
      @BluegrassCeliac, I'm agreeing.  It's a good thing taking magnesium. And B vitamins. Magnesium and Thiamine work together.  If you supplement the B vitamins which include Thiamine, but don't have sufficient magnesium, Thiamine won't work well.  If you take Magnesium, but not Thiamine, magnesium won't work as well by itself. Hydrochlorothiazide HCTZ is a sulfonamide drug, a sulfa drug.  So are proton pump inhibitors PPIs, and SSRIs. High dose Thiamine is used to resolve cytokine storms.  High dose Thiamine was used in patients having cytokine storms in Covid infections.  Magnesium supplementation also improves cytokine storms, and was also used during Covid. How's your Vitamin D? References: Thiamine and magnesium deficiencies: keys to disease https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25542071/ Hiding in Plain Sight: Modern Thiamine Deficiency https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8533683/ The Effect of a High-Dose Vitamin B Multivitamin Supplement on the Relationship between Brain Metabolism and Blood Biomarkers of Oxidative Stress: A Randomized Control Trial https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6316433/ High‐dose Vitamin B6 supplementation reduces anxiety and strengthens visual surround suppression https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9787829/ Repurposing Treatment of Wernicke-Korsakoff Syndrome for Th-17 Cell Immune Storm Syndrome and Neurological Symptoms in COVID-19: Thiamine Efficacy and Safety, In-Vitro Evidence and Pharmacokinetic Profile https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33737877/ Higher Intake of Dietary Magnesium Is Inversely Associated With COVID-19 Severity and Symptoms in Hospitalized Patients: A Cross-Sectional Study https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9132593/ Magnesium and Vitamin D Deficiency as a Potential Cause of Immune Dysfunction, Cytokine Storm and Disseminated Intravascular Coagulation in covid-19 patients https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7861592/ Sulfonamide Hypersensitivity https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31495421/
    • BluegrassCeliac
      Hi,   Not saying Thiamine (B1) couldn't be an issue as well, but Mg was definitely the cause of my problems. It's the only thing that worked. I supplemented with B vitamins, but that didn't change anything, in fact they made me sick. Mg stopped all my muscle pain (HCTZ) within a few months and fixed all the intestinal problems HCTZ caused as well. Mom has an allergy to some sulfa drugs (IgG Celiac too), but I don't think I've ever taken them. Mg boosted my energy as well. It solved a lot of problems. I take 1000mg MgO a day with no problems. I boost absorption with Vitamin D. Some people can't take MgO,  like mom, she takes Mg Glycinate. It's one of those things that someone has try and find the right form for themselves. Everyone's different. Mg deficiency can cause anxiety and is a treatment for it. A pharmacist gave me a list of drugs years ago that cause Mg deficiency: PPIs, H2 bockers, HCTZ, some beta blockers (metoprolol which I've taken -- horrible side effects), some anti-anxiety meds too were on it. I posted because I saw he was an IgG celiac. He's the first one I've seen in 20 years, other than my family. We're rare. All the celiacs I've met are IgA. Finding healthcare is a nightmare. Just trying to help. B