teitei

Is There Extra Concern For Kids With Celiac Getting The H1n1 Shot?

Rate this topic

Does anyone know since Celiac is an autoimmune disorder, does that make a person with it more likely to have bad reactions to the chemicals in the vaccine? I know you can sometimes get the vaccine without Thimerosal; does that make it better for the person with Celiac? Or is there no difference?

My 6 yr old has Down syndrome and possible Autism as well and I've always gotten a Thimerosal-free shot for him but I heard that it may be hard to get one with this shot.

Thanks.

I don't think that being diagnosed with celiac adds any danger. If you're not healed yet, that MIGHT be another matter.

richard

My son has had the nasal H1N1 and the seasonal flu vaccine and was completely fine. :)

There are basically 3 different H1N1 vaccine shots. THere is the individual, prefilled syringes that contain an inactivated virus that do not contain Thimerosal. THere is the MDV (multidose vials) that are also inactivated, but do contain Thimerosal (You will see the nurse fill a syringe out of the vial if it is a multi-dose vial). There is also the Flu Mist which is a nose spray. It does not contain Thimerosal, but it is a weakend live virus, not an inactivated virus. Good luck on your decision. Hopefully this information will help you. Just ask your healthcare provider which they prefer your child to have. I have noticed that kids that get the Flu Mist sometimes run a low grade fever for 1 -2 days after since it is a live virus, but those kids also seem to have a good immune coverage response also. The H1N1 vaccines are slow coming in most states, but depending on where you live, it might be available now. Call your local county health department or Doctors office to find out information on the vaccine and when it will be available.