savvysue

When Will I Get Better?

Rate this topic

I've been on the gluten free diet for almost two months now, but I don't really feel better than I did before I was diagnosed. When people ask me if I feel like a new person now that I'm on the diet, I frown and want to say, "No. not really. I'm not." :( When will I get better?? I dont have alot of the stomach-related symptoms, I have more of the joint and autoimmune symptoms. I also have delayed growing. I'm 16, but I have the body of an 11 year old, and i'm skinny. When will I feel better? When will I look better, and have more energy?

I've been on the gluten free diet for almost two months now, but I don't really feel better than I did before I was diagnosed. When people ask me if I feel like a new person now that I'm on the diet, I frown and want to say, "No. not really. I'm not." :( When will I get better?? I dont have alot of the stomach-related symptoms, I have more of the joint and autoimmune symptoms. I also have delayed growing. I'm 16, but I have the body of an 11 year old, and i'm skinny. When will I feel better? When will I look better, and have more energy?

i am sorry to hear u are not feeling better. my daugther (who is 19) was diagnosed with celiac disease one year ago - she had positive blood work and positive biopsy. she was gluten free and was not getting any better either. months went by and the dr kept saying it was going to take time because her villie were so far gone. we ended up switching doctors - he took one look at her and immediately ordered a colonoscopy. she was diagnosed with crohn's disease and well as the celiac. unfortunately the dr that did the biopsy for celiac saw the villie diagnosed the celiac and went no further to check for any other possibilities. it sounds like the same thing may have happened to u. by the time her crohn's disease was diagnosed her entire colon was diseased. she is doing much better now with her medication for crohn's and the gluten free for the celiac. i hope u feel better but i would suggest to your doctor to check and see if u have something else going on - good luck - if u need any advice just ask.

I know exactly how you feel. I've been gluten-free for a little more than 2 months now, but fortunately I was diagnosed early enough that I don't really have any malnutrition issues. I just get sick ALL the time. People ask me the same thing about "feeling better" and "eating right" when really all I want to do is eat an entire pizza. It can be depressing, watching friends eat grilled cheese and bagels and things like that, but you eventually learn to appreciate the smell more than anything! I just keep telling myself that it will all get better once I'm more used to what I can and can't eat and when I'm a more "experienced" Celiac, if you will. Good luck with everything, and just remember that you're not alone!

Wow I'm sorry to hear that. I have read from people that suffered with the same type of issues as you that it took anywhere from 6 months to a year or so. It really depends on how bad your disease was before you were diagnosed. I suffered from the stomach issues so I dont have any personal issues. Just stay hopeful and stick to the diet