This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Better Batter V/s Jules All Purpose Blend

cupcakecreator

cupcakecreator Newbie

I went all gung-ho with Jules Gluten free all purpose blend, and then found it was good for some recipes, and not others. Looking at the ingredients, I felt for some recipes it could use more protein/sturdier flours in the blend.

I am just learned of better batter today, but am reluctant to try yet another brand. Any suggestions?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast

Call or email the company that makes the flour mixes you like to try. Ask for a sample. Most companies are very happy to send a sample for you to try.

• 2 weeks later...
candrews Newbie

I've tried better batter and it is much more starchy and lighter than Jules flour--i stick to Jules flour now. I suggest asking their customer service for help with recipes--they can offer great suggestions for fixing any issue recipes.

I went all gung-ho with Jules Gluten free all purpose blend, and then found it was good for some recipes, and not others. Looking at the ingredients, I felt for some recipes it could use more protein/sturdier flours in the blend.

I am just learned of better batter today, but am reluctant to try yet another brand. Any suggestions?

Lynayah Enthusiast
I've tried better batter and it is much more starchy and lighter than Jules flour--i stick to Jules flour now. I suggest asking their customer service for help with recipes--they can offer great suggestions for fixing any issue recipes.

I am not yet experienced enough at gluten-free baking to comment, however, a few weeks back, the leader of our local gluten-intolorance group made a couple recipes with Better Batter, and they were out of this world. One of the recipes was for Hawaiian Bread - OUTSTANDING!

A number of members were so impressed that we went in together to order a case, so we could split it among ourselves. I just brought my first box home tonight.

The gal who baked the bread is quite an expert on gluten-free flours, and while there many mixes, etc. she likes, she told the group that Better Batter is the only pre-packaged flour she's found that really does act as a true substitute for flour in any recipe. She's experimented with countless flours, and she really, really loves this one.

If you visit betterbatter.org (make sure you type .org and not .com), you see a lot of recipes there, including two for Hawaiian bread, one for "Kings-Style" and another basic recipe. I'm not sure which I tasted, but I would guess it was the Kings-style one.

Tonight, I learned that the website also has two recipes for Pierogis! Whoohoo!

I can't wait to try using this product. Heck, I'd buy it just for the Hawaiian Bread recipe alone! :)

Hope this helps.

Best,

Lyn

PS: For those with other food issues: processed on equipment that also processes dairy, eggs, soy and tree nuts.

mamaw Community Regular

Betterbatter flour is one of the tops in gluten-free flour blends. plus recipes galore for using the flour. I also use a couple others but Jules is at the bottom of the top of the line flour blends. there are about 6-7 top of the line blends.......

momxyz Contributor
Betterbatter flour is one of the tops in gluten-free flour blends. plus recipes galore for using the flour. I also use a couple others but Jules is at the bottom of the top of the line flour blends. there are about 6-7 top of the line blends.......

mamaw, can you elaborate on your experience with various brands?

minniejack Contributor

With my 10 # order of Better Batter, I also ordered the brownie mix and pancake/"Bisquick" mix.

Absolutely loved the brownies, better than those made with Gluten Free Mama's Almond Flour and other ready made brownies. Truly tasted and had consistency of regular brownies.

I bought their baking mix because I always try different brands of pancake mixes. Even following the recipe on the side for pancakes and adding vanilla--the pancakes were just plain weird. BUT, using the mix as a Bisquick substitute makes the best fried chicken that we've had in over a year.

Was truly ticked at my hubby this morning when he couldn't find the Pamela's pancake mix (in plain sight) and used what was left of the Better Batter blend. But luck was with me and the Better Batter site had a recipe online that saved the day and his life so that I could make a truly delicious baked steak for supper--just simply better than using plain flour.

The Better Batter is lighter than others that I've tried, but I haven't tried Jules. (gluten-free Mama's, Domata, Kinnikinnick, homemade mixes with numerous flours)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lynayah Enthusiast
I am not yet experienced enough at gluten-free baking to comment, however, a few weeks back, the leader of our local gluten-intolorance group made a couple recipes with Better Batter, and they were out of this world. One of the recipes was for Hawaiian Bread - OUTSTANDING!

A number of members were so impressed that we went in together to order a case, so we could split it among ourselves. I just brought my first box home tonight.

The gal who baked the bread is quite an expert on gluten-free flours, and while there many mixes, etc. she likes, she told the group that Better Batter is the only pre-packaged flour she's found that really does act as a true substitute for flour in any recipe. She's experimented with countless flours, and she really, really loves this one.

If you visit betterbatter.org (make sure you type .org and not .com), you see a lot of recipes there, including two for Hawaiian bread, one for "Kings-Style" and another basic recipe. I'm not sure which I tasted, but I would guess it was the Kings-style one.

Tonight, I learned that the website also has two recipes for Pierogis! Whoohoo!

I can't wait to try using this product. Heck, I'd buy it just for the Hawaiian Bread recipe alone! :)

Hope this helps.

Best,

Lyn

PS: For those with other food issues: processed on equipment that also processes dairy, eggs, soy and tree nuts.

I checked, and it IS the Kings Style recipe she used. It is OH SO GOOD. :)

happygirl Collaborator

I can't speak to Jules other than I've heard good things about it, since I have not personally tried it. However, I do know that I absolutely love, love, love BB flour and can't live without it!!!

Lynayah Enthusiast
I can't speak to Jules other than I've heard good things about it, since I have not personally tried it. However, I do know that I absolutely love, love, love BB flour and can't live without it!!!

What are your favorite recipes with BB?

happygirl Collaborator
What are your favorite recipes with BB?

Converting cookie recipes from BHG cookbook. Banana bread muffins/bread. Most things that I make or family members make is from 'regular' recipes, just using gluten-free flour.

I finally got rid of all my other flours, and just have this and corn starch in my house now.

Lynayah Enthusiast
Converting cookie recipes from BHG cookbook. Banana bread muffins/bread. Most things that I make or family members make is from 'regular' recipes, just using gluten-free flour.

I finally got rid of all my other flours, and just have this and corn starch in my house now.

You've given me hope! My oldest daughter wants holiday cookies this year very badly, and I'm hoping I can use my old recipes with this flour.

Do you notice much of a difference in the taste?

• 2 weeks later...
minniejack Contributor
You've given me hope! My oldest daughter wants holiday cookies this year very badly, and I'm hoping I can use my old recipes with this flour.

Do you notice much of a difference in the taste?

I've just made pumpkin pie, rolls, and noodles using Better Batter and Betty Crocker's 40th anniversary cookbook (basically recipes like your grandmother used). And they taste just as good as grandma's--no taste differnce at all. :D

minniejack Contributor

One more yippee for Better Batter: Ordered yesterday around 3 pm and when I got home at 11:30 this morning my order was waiting for me on my porch. Wow--that's quick service.

And the bread that I've made using BB has everyone loving it--no weird texture or taste. I know that if you've seen some of my old posts that it looks like I say that about every bread product. :rolleyes: But this time, I've liked the bread the past 4x I've made it--not just for a few days. It has me and my former starch girl thinking this IS the Wonderbread that we miss.

mamaw Community Regular

Noami of BetterBatter has loads of excellent recipes on her site. My kids love the hot pockets, pizza bites, pretzels & breads from her site.....pierogi's are good as well. I actually haven't made anything that we didn't or couldn't eat!

GottaSki Mentor

I've had great luck with Bob's Red Mill gluten-free All Purpose Flour - I have seen some on this forum post that they have had problems with BRM. Anyway, we've used it in all our preGF recipes and so far it's done great.

I do use many Better Batter recipes, but haven't tried their flour to date. So far all the Better Batter Recipes I've used have worked with BRM gluten-free All Purpose & our costco started stocking BRM, so I doubt I'll change anytime soon.

Archived