no gluten girl

Alter Eco Fair Trade Quinoa

Rate this topic

My first time trying "Alter Eco Fair Trade Pearl Quinoa" from Bolivia. It says Gluten-free on the box, and quinoa is gluten free. But, after eating dinner I promptly felt glutened. None of the other ingredients were new (all gluten free). Can it be that how this product is processed caused it become contaminated? I am wondering if there is anyone else who has had a similar response to this product? Thank you for your help!

No Gluten Girl-

I realize it has been awhile since you posted, but I was searching for other people who have had issues with quinoa. I didn't have the GI issues that most people report, but I was also coming down with a cold when I ate it and was feeling exhausted and nasty anyway.

I did notice yesterday that my DH was flaring up, which typically indicates gluten! The ONLY possibilities for contamination were the Trader Joe's quinoa, Zicam rapidmelts with vit. C, or Chuck and Dave's salsa that I've eaten many times before.

So who knows whether you may have been glutened by contaminated quinoa as well... I'm not going to eat it again for awhile.

I bought a 3 lb bag of TruRoots quionoa at Costco - the label says pre washed and gluten free. I have suspected other brands of quinoa of glutening me in the past but this brand has never bothered me...I wanna buy bags of it next time I go.

Nice - the larger bag cost less than the small box at my health food store (whose prices have risen a lot lately!). This is a huge pet peeve of mine - I would gladly buy gluten-free stuff at the health food store (and lots of it) if their prices were reasonable, instead I spend a lot of time researching foods I can buy @ the grocery store, to save money.