halfrunner

Xanthan Gum Substitutes?

Rate this topic

hi all!

I am pondering my choice to substitute gelatin in for xanthan gum in my bread recipes. I found somewhere that you could substitute it, but I'm wondering if the gelatin is what is causing all my really gummy breads? I have tried some of the "we promise it works" recipes from sites I got from here, but the only change I made was the gelatin.

Anybody with a chemistry degree (I only got through the required freshman level) have any thoughts? Or other bread makers?

Is there a possibility that the soy, oat, and tapioca flour can't play well together and make bread because of the high protein content in the soy flour?

I did have DH go get some xanthan gum so the next batch will be followed to the letter, including the xanthan gum. :rolleyes:

My schooling was biochemistry/molecular biology. Without going into too much detail, xanthan gum, guar gum and gelatin are all used as thickening/binding agents due to their interaction with other molecules, which is determined by molecular structure. However, both xanthan and guar gums are much more effective as a thickener/binder/plasticizer than gelatin. Gelatin is also not as versatile as a binder, depending on how/what it is mixed with, probably better used as a jelling agent or for making "gummy bears". Funny you mentioned "gummy bread" results.

Gelatin doesn't do a good job in imitating the binding/plastisizing/elasticizing quality of real gluten, whereas xanthan gum and guar gum can do ok. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gelatin You should wiki xanthan gum and guar gum too.

"Is there a possibility that the soy, oat, and tapioca flour can't play well together and make bread because of the high protein content in the soy flour?"

Protein from the soy or oats should play (mix) well with the starch (carbohydrate) from the tapioca. I don't see a problem there.

Maybe someone with more of a culinary background can share more.

Hopefully one day, someone will come up with a new additive that offers elastic properties more similar to real gluten. I'm craving crusty, chewy french bread...

Thanks for answering, you pretty much confirmed my hunch. I really appreciate it.

You're very welcome! :) Honestly, I've yet to make a decent gluten-free bread. For now, I just buy Udi's (thank goodness it's available). I'd love to be able to make a good bread, so feel free to let us know how it goes with the xanthan/guar gum. I'm searching for bread baking tips!

If you go to glutenfreegoddess.blogspot, Karina has lots of bread making tips and bread recipes and substituions and yummy recipes and allergy friendly tips, and, and... :)

If you go to glutenfreegoddess.blogspot, Karina has lots of bread making tips and bread recipes and substituions and yummy recipes and allergy friendly tips, and, and... :)

Thank you kindly, GOOD neighbor! :D