earlysu

Brittle Nails

Rate this topic

Hi. I was diagnosed with celiac disease almost 3 months ago (after having chronic diarreha for 6-months). After going on the gluten free diet, I felt sooooo much better. But lately I've noticed that my fingernails are breaking real low, even my toenails have broken, and my bones seem to ache more. Anyone else noticeing these things? What kinds of supplements should I be taking?

Hi. I was diagnosed with celiac disease almost 3 months ago (after having chronic diarreha for 6-months). After going on the gluten free diet, I felt sooooo much better. But lately I've noticed that my fingernails are breaking real low, even my toenails have broken, and my bones seem to ache more. Anyone else noticeing these things? What kinds of supplements should I be taking?

Hi THere,

I have vertical lines in my nails and also have some indentions from time to time. They are not brittle. but I wonder if you have the vertical lines to? I have been Gluten free from a month or so but nails have been like this for years. I was always told the nails are like to due to vitamin deficiencies(spelled that wrong lol) But I have been tested and I am fine as far as that goes. I to would like to hear if others have this and what they do

People with celiac disease can be low on a large number of nutrients. The ones I was tested for were iron, B12, calcium and folic acid. Brittle nails suggest low calcium. You should probably be taking supplements for all of the above (make sure they are gluten-free of course!). Also take a look at the Canada food guide to see if you are getting enough dairy (i.e. calcium) in your diet. Be patient, because it takes around 6 months for your vitamin levels to return to normal while on supplements (depending on how low they are).

Good luck :)

Jillian

Biotin (part of the B vitamins) is reccomended for hair and nails.

Ditto on the other vitamin information. :D