Donna F

gluten-free Alternative To Cheerios For 1year Old?

Rate this topic

Hi everyone,

I used to give my son Perky-Os unflavored cheerio-like cereal but it is discontinued at our store and maybe everywhere (can't get it through Amazon lately either). Anyone know of a good alternative for a baby? He's only 1 and has trouble with many of the gluten-free versions b/c they are too crunchy. Does anyone know of a brand that isn't too crunch that a baby could eat?

Thanks!

He's not gluten-free but for my sake I give him gluten-free finger foods so I don't worry about him having gluten on him after he eats!

Glutin-o makes cherrio like cereal that I like better than perky-o's.

Have you tried Honey Kix cereal? My 2 & 3 year old love it. Also General Mills makes a Dora cereal which is sometimes hard to find, but they are small star shaped cereal with a cinnamon flavor about the size of a cherrio.

Glutin-o makes cherrio like cereal that I like better than perky-o's.

Hmmmm.... I thought I tried that one, but maybe not. It's not real cruchy? It has to break up easily like a real cheerio - he chokes easily.

Have you tried Honey Kix cereal? My 2 & 3 year old love it. Also General Mills makes a Dora cereal which is sometimes hard to find, but they are small star shaped cereal with a cinnamon flavor about the size of a cherrio.

Honey Kix? Like, regular (not specialty gluten-free) brand? It's gluten-free? Never tried it. and the Dora is gluten-free too? I had no idea there was anything gluten-free at the regular market. I need to come by here more often!

Thanks!

Now, neither of them are too crunch? They break up fairly easily?

Try this one...

Might be too crunchy...but worth a shot...

Natures Path

Organic Whole O's

You could soak them a bit to make them softer

Hmmmm.... I thought I tried that one, but maybe not. It's not real cruchy? It has to break up easily like a real cheerio - he chokes easily.

I liked them because I thought they were MORE crunchy than GM Cheerio's - but that may be "harder to break up".

Try this one...

Might be too crunchy...but worth a shot...

Natures Path

Organic Whole O's

Ah ha. I do believe that is the first one I tried and they were just too hard for him. Cheerios break apart easily when you bite them. But thanks for the suggestion!

I liked them because I thought they were MORE crunchy than GM Cheerio's - but that may be "harder to break up".

Yeah.... they are yummy and I like them better too! But not so good for baby....

You could soak them a bit to make them softer

OH! I didn't see that part. Never thought about soaking them. That might do it - thank you!!

OH! I didn't see that part. Never thought about soaking them. That might do it - thank you!!

You probably did not see that part...because I came back and edited my post after I thought up that idea! :P

You probably did not see that part...because I came back and edited my post after I thought up that idea! :P

LOL! I see.. Well, glad I read it again :lol:

Are the honey Kix and Dora starts newly gluten-free? The last time I checked they weren't made on gluten-free lines. That would be so cool!!!

Looked for the Dora cereal this weekend and couldn't find it yetl. Haven't checked everywhere though. I won't try the Kix for the same reason I never have him the Gorilla Munch: Worried the little balls will get swallowed without being chewed. Amazon has the Dora cereal but I don't want to buy 12 without even trying 1.

Btw, I did find confirmation that Enjoy Life has stopped manufacturing the Perky Os (all flavors) cereals. Too bad too b/c they were the most baby-friendly, gluten-free cereal I'd ever found :(