amberlynn

Ate "real" Chicken Nuggets Last Night

Rate this topic

So, my DS went to Grandma's with his daddy last night, and she fed him chicken nuggets. I didn't think it would be a big deal b/c we aren't officially starting his gluten-free diet til Sunday, but because he's been home with me for a few days he hasn't had any gluten (and I didn't even realize it til last night).

When I undressed him last night for bed, he had a few brand new red bumps on his back. It's not an allergic reaction per se, because Benadryl didn't help a bit. He even says they are itchy (which he never says! I've seen him covered head to toe hives and not complain!!).

So, is this possible DH starting?? What does it look like when it starts? I put a call into the peds office, but the Swine flu is rampant here, and I really don't want to go in unless I have to! If she'll refer us, perhaps I'll take him to a dermatoligist.

I'm also not sure if I should just go ahead and pursue a Celiac diagnosis... is there any point to it?

Thanks for any help!

Make sure to teach you ds that regular chicken nuggets make him itchy. Your ds will be the one to suffer when "well meaning but not accepting" people think they can feed him items with gluten. Very young children can start learning to avoid gluten if it's related to making them suffer.

It's also possible that it's something besides for gluten. He may have been exposed to the chicken pox, for example (my son, who DID receive the chicken pox vaccine, started his with itchy bumps on his back that did not respond to Benadryl).