This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Free Poll

twe0708

Roda Rising Star
How many years have you been trying to live a gluten-free life?

How often or many times do you think you've been hit with wheat?

Anyone been diagnosed with cancer, kidney or liver problems?

Have you ever said "what the hell" and just ate something you aren't supposed to?

What is your age?

One year

Wheat in particular at least once. I ate an otherwise gluten free macaroon that a friend of mine placed on top of a brownie. It was only a month after I went gluten free and she tried really hard and I ate it so I would not hurt her feelings. Won't do that again. I have been hit with either cc or barly malt in "natural flavors" once by not verifying. I tried gluten free oats after 7 months gluten free in some cookies I made. I had a horrible reaction from them so I am even gluten free oats free.

No.

Sort of. My husband had some cheese that had beer in it. I took a very small nibble. I did not have any problem from it, but really decided that the cheese was not good! :lol: I ate some tortillia chips from a local mexican restraunt that someone had left over at work. They were more than likely fried in contaminated oil and who knows if they had wheat in them. Learned my lesson because the chips gave me wicked heartburn.

I am 36 years old.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Switch2GF Rookie

Diagnosed 5 years ago- officially gluten-free for 1 year. Had solid spurts of gluten-free during those first years, but always eventually relapsed.

I'd say once every month or two I accidentally am glutened, almost always when out to eat. Honestly, if you eat out, it is going to happen whether you know it or not.

Nothing yet, thankfully!

Have you ever said "what the hell" and just ate something you aren't supposed to?

Once in the past year... avoiding an awkward situation(long story).

What is your age?

Male - 25

(Just had to put male, since I am finding I am in the far minority in the active gluten free online community :D )

Karrin Rookie

How many years have you been trying to live a gluten-free life? Started June 2009

How often or many times do you think you've been hit with wheat? Probably once a month in small cc'd doses.

Anyone been diagnosed with cancer, kidney or liver problems? Just got over a kidney infection.

Yes, homemade pumpkin custard that I suspected might have been cc'd.

What is your age?

foodiegurl Collaborator

Since March 2009

three time, I believe

I had severe-pre-eclampsia and HELLP when I was pg (pre-diagnosis), and it effected my liver and kidneys while pg, but corrected itself after delivery.

No way!!

What is your age?

jenngolightly Contributor

Too many - we don't eat out anymore... uh, well, except last weekend when we went to Boston Market and YES I got glutened dammit.

No (but yes to osteoporosis and neurological issues and...)

Never

What is your age?

gettinbetterbaby Newbie

How many years have you been trying to live a gluten-free life? One year and a couple of months.

Maybe 10 or more times since the start. The learning curve was steep, and so it happens less often now, but still way too often (always when eating out). The longest I've felt well is 23 days in a row, which was phenomenal. Before that it was nine days.

Two or three years before becoming gluten-free I was sent to a kidney doctor (nephrologist), for odd blood work; I was "dumping" potassium, magnesium and salt. He couldn't determine the cause, wondered if I was vomiting or taking laxatives: No. Weeks later, after consultation with colleagues, he diagnosed Gitelman Syndrome or Bartel's Syndrome, which is just a collection of symptoms. He was puzzled. I was too. I had mentioned stomach aches too, as I have over the past twenty years to all doctors with whom I've had contact. That led nowhere as always. So I treated the deficiency with magnesium supplements and noticed unexpectedly my stomach felt better for awhile, which was a bonus. I eventually put all this together myself, later, with much help from all of you on this forum who I'd like to thank here. I have learned so much.

Never, but I've eaten around things I'm not supposed to eat, that was touching, and have most recently learned not to do this.

What is your age?

luvs2eat Collaborator

7 years

In the beginning, when I thought I was being gluten-free, but was making tons of mistake... lots. Now... maybe once or twice a year??

Nope

ONCE... when I'd been gluten-free for about a year, I scarfed down a huge slice of homemade bread w/ butter and nothing happened!! I had this idea that I could "plan" a cheat... maybe monthly. But... the longer I was gluten-free, the more sensitive I became and now I would NEVER, EVER say "what the hell"... EVER.

What is your age? 56. Two of my 3 daughters have been diagnosed too.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

spicenator3000 Apprentice

Trying to live a gluten free life for 5 years, had it since childhood and didn't know (lived with pain/problems).

Some how I get gluten about every month now, getting the diet and other products under control takes a long long time. Takes me about two weeks to get back to normal digestion (if I do my procedure of recovery).

Diagnosed with cancer at age 20-Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma (about the size of a grapefruit in between my heart and lung-acted like heart attack symptoms). Also had malnutrition problems from childhood still lingering, cysts, and minor issues that come and go. Family has had many cases of cancer, liver disease, kidney, reproductive and neurological issues. Seems that those people before me had celiac disease and never were diagnosed. This leads me to believe it gets worse every generation that is not taken care of.

Absolutely have just ate stuff I wasn't sure was gluten-free. Typical human nature to rebel against what I know is right and wrong.

I am now 25, will be 26 in 3 months. So 6 years cancer free.

Archived