This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Called Quaker Today

Frances03

Frances03 Enthusiast

I called about the rice cakes. I knew they were going to say there was cross contamination likely, but they told me they have a new product coming out that will be marked gluten free! I asked if that meant it was going to be made in a gluten free facility and she indicated that it was (I'm not believe it 100% yet though because she seemed just a tad uncertain). She said to watch the shelves for packages of rice cakes marked gluten free, so when I see them I will probably call again to see about the facility.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast

You get 5 stars for researching and Reporting. This helps so much.

Gfresh404 Enthusiast

It's good that other large companies are hopping on the gluten-free bandwagon. Would be nice if they could put out some certified gluten-free products with oats though.

soulcurrent Explorer

Hooray! Am I to understand then that the rice cakes currently out there are in danger of having gluten? That would explain some things.. I had the apple cinnamon and the caramel flavors here the last couple of weeks.

ravenwoodglass Mentor
Hooray! Am I to understand then that the rice cakes currently out there are in danger of having gluten? That would explain some things.. I had the apple cinnamon and the caramel flavors here the last couple of weeks.

At the present time those rice cakes would not be safe. Unless I know for sure that the new gluten-free line is processed in a dedicated plant I wouldn't touch them. Way to much of a CC risk.

soulcurrent Explorer

Aww i love those :(

homemaker Enthusiast
Aww i love those :(

soulcurrent have you tried Lundberg Rice Cakes?

Open Original Shared Link

They claim Gluten Free on their website....

Open Original Shared Link

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

soulcurrent Explorer

Nope, I'd never heard of them. Maybe I can find them at Whole Foods. (edit) My local store's site has them listed. I'll give them a shot.. hopefully not too expensive.

ravenwoodglass Mentor
Nope, I'd never heard of them. Maybe I can find them at Whole Foods. (edit) My local store's site has them listed. I'll give them a shot.. hopefully not too expensive.

They are pretty good and if memory serves me not too out of line price wise. There are also some corn based gluten-free 'rice cakes' around, I wish I could remember their name but you may find them in the same area of Whole Foods as the Lundberg. Those were good also and thinner, to me they tasted like popcorn.

Roda Rising Star
They are pretty good and if memory serves me not too out of line price wise. There are also some corn based gluten-free 'rice cakes' around, I wish I could remember their name but you may find them in the same area of Whole Foods as the Lundberg. Those were good also and thinner, to me they tasted like popcorn.

I think raven might be talking about cornthins and they are very good. I perfer them over rice cakes. It is to bad about the quaker because I liked those better than the lundburg ones. The lundburg, in my opinion were too hard and I did not care for the taste.

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

Thank you so much for researching and posting this!

The only trouble I foresee is unfortunately a big one: Quaker probably knows that under the proposed labeling laws, they can label their product "gluten-free" even if it contains up to 20 ppm gluten. But currently, no legal definition seems to exist for "gluten-free." At this point, all "gluten-free" labeling is voluntary, anyway.

We've seen this kind of thing already with Rice Dream (processed with barley enzymes, but they are not listed in the ingredients, and sensitive celiacs notoriously react to it).

taweavmo3 Enthusiast
Thank you so much for researching and posting this!

The only trouble I foresee is unfortunately a big one: Quaker probably knows that under the proposed labeling laws, they can label their product gluten-free" even if it contains up to 20 ppm gluten. But currently, no legal definition seems to exist for "gluten-free." At this point, all "gluten-free" labeling is voluntary, anyway.

We've seen this kind of thing already with Rice Dream (processed with barley enzymes, but they are not listed in the ingredients, and sensitive celiacs notoriously react to it).

Yep, this worries me too. I personally think things are going to get worse before they get better for Celiacs....we are seeing more and more mainstream products come out with products that say "gluten free", which have up to (or more I believe) 20ppm of gluten. That leaves us going in circles trying to figure out what is making us sick, b/c we don't think the products labeled "gluten free" could be the source.

It took me 6 months to figure out Chex was making us all sick! I know some can handle it fine, but I'm finding more and more people who are reacting. This frustrates me to no end, when I am trying like mad to keep my daughter well so she can grow and not have so many learning challenges. I don't need trend hopping companies making a dime at my daughter's expense.

So sorry, didn't mean to rant on your post! Thanks for posting about the rice cakes, it is good to know about new products! After Rice Dream, Chex, the Wellshire Farms nuggets, etc...I'm just a wee bit skeptical these days, :)

• 2 weeks later...
skinnyminny Enthusiast

I found the gluten free quaker rice cakes at kroger tonight! The big rice cakes say gluten free, the chocolate flavor and apple cinnamon! I hope the small quakes become gluten free as well. I will call tom to make sure they are on seperate lines but I feel like they would be. Because if you call they warn you about cross containimation but ingridents are gluten free. So if they have decided to label them I would think they have gone the extra mile to make them safe.

haleym Contributor

WOW amazing research. And Im so happy they will make these gluten free! I got glutenized by these, so I will have to try the new ones. :) YAY!

skinnyminny Enthusiast

So I called quaker about the gluten free labeling on the rice cakes I purchased the other night. I asked if they were produced on seperate lines or just gluten free ingridents. The kind representative told me that they are produced seperately, she said if there was a chance it was cross containimated the product would say either produced on lines that contain wheat, or may contain wheat. Just thought Id pass this along. The only flavors I have seen marked gluten free are the chocolate and apple cinnamon rice cakes.. the normal size cakes not the small ones. The chocolate ones are pretty good:) She did say they are in the process of reviewing their products, ingridents, and production and are looking for more products to be labeled gluten free!

GottaSki Mentor

"I asked if they were produced on seperate lines or just gluten free ingridents. The kind representative told me that they are produced seperately, she said if there was a chance it was cross containimated the product would say either produced on lines that contain wheat, or may contain wheat. Just thought Id pass this along."

Great :) we've had bad luck with them before - glad they are working to make some of their products safe!

Thanks for sharing.

Frances03 Enthusiast

Oh good, I'm glad it was true! I gave my original pack to my kids, but now I'll look for the new ones next time I go shopping. :)

ksymonds84 Enthusiast

I think you are talking about Corn Thins? They do taste like popcorn!

Archived