Rate this topic

Hello everyone, I am a brand new member here and I am in need of help. I had food allergy testing done over 2 years ago. I kept calling to get results, only to be told the allergist was no longer with the clinic, and my results were "fine". I pushed it but got nothing. Asked for the lab results to be sent to me, as I am a nurse, and they said it is not their policy.

Fast forward. I got a very high CRP (showing a huge amount of generalized inflammation) result on recent lab tests, (9.2), and have extreme joint pain, and unbelievable ab pain and nausea. My GP talked with me and sent for the "mysterious" lab results from the allergist's office. Guess what, the IGA and " antigen tests" came out "positive"for wheat/rye/barley sensitivity (gluten), he says. My GP immediately had me stop all gluten. In 5 days my stomach seems almost normal. My joint pain is still present but NOT to the severity it was ! He wants me to see a gastroenterologist to check for sm. intestinal damage. Thinks it is extremely likely I have celiac. Both my grown daughters have huge problems with wheat/gluten. I am also a type 1 diabetic and have Addison's disease(, have only a piece of one adrenal gland remaining after surgery) . Yea, something else to have to control !!!! I am 55 years old and have tight control of my diabetes, and usually know how to manage the Addison's (adrenal insufficiency). I have limited insurance, so I am wondering (I had a endoscopy 3 years ago), with a report of ulcers, inflammation, etc. Gastro guy never said a thing about food allergies. They always blame everything on the diabetes....and never look further.

Any suggestions? I am a little angry right now, that I suffered needlessly for years......

Thanks for any help!

If you are off gluten, the endoscopy could be a waste of time, unless it's done immediately. If you're gluten-free and feel better, you may have your answer. I had joint pain too. Within a month it was gone. Good luck and welcome to the forum!

If you are off gluten, the endoscopy could be a waste of time, unless it's done immediately. If you're gluten-free and feel better, you may have your answer. I had joint pain too. Within a month it was gone. Good luck and welcome to the forum!

That is exactly what I think, as well. Why waste time with something we already know? I am glad to have bounced that off of someone else, so I appreciate your response.

That is exactly what I think, as well. Why waste time with something we already know? I am glad to have bounced that off of someone else, so I appreciate your response.

I agree completely. You have your answer.

By the way, you had a legal right to an actual copy of those test results when you originally asked for them. It was illegal for them to withold them from you if you are in the US. That delay has cost you healthwise. What you chose to do with this info is up to you.

I agree completely. You have your answer.

By the way, you had a legal right to an actual copy of those test results when you originally asked for them. It was illegal for them to withold them from you if you are in the US. That delay has cost you healthwise. What you chose to do with this info is up to you.

You know, you are right. Oddly enough, this is not the first time this thing has happened to me. It took me years to get a diagnosis with my pituitary tumor. Someone "skipped" over an abnormal lab result. And, I am a squeeky wheel. Hate to think what some people don't get diagnosed with, until it is too late.

thanks you for the replies!