BloatusMaximus

Alcohol Intolerance

Rate this topic

I do not drink alcohol that much anymore but the last few times I consumed alcohol I felt HORRIBLE. I had a rum drink that messed me up. Even gluten free beer made me feel awful. I am just wondering if it is me or does this celiac thing affect our sensitivity to alcohol, too.

Thomas

if you asked that question to my husband (who can eat gluten) he would say "NOT" cuz I am way more tolerant of alchohol than he is :lol:

We're kind of like Jack Spratt and his wife.

The inability to efficiently metabolize alcohol is geneticallyl influenced. However, it is probably separately acquired from the tendency towards gluten intolerance (also genetically influenced)>

I do not drink alcohol that much anymore but the last few times I consumed alcohol I felt HORRIBLE. I had a rum drink that messed me up. Even gluten free beer made me feel awful. I am just wondering if it is me or does this celiac thing affect our sensitivity to alcohol, too.

Thomas

I thought I had a reaction to a rum and cola - thinking I couldn't drink! but then I tried a gluten-free cola and never had the reaction! I know Pepsi and coke are safe as mixers so I tried that and BIG difference!

I do get more of a buzz quicker so I limit them to weekends and nitecaps.

I think you may try a wine and see how that affects you.........I have a better tolerance with a blush.

Just experiment a little - I hear clear rums, are safe and tequila.....vodka too.

Try mixing with juices that are gluten-free.......it may make the difference.

How long have you been gluten-free for?

Alcohol is a known irritant to the GI lining. It is believed that many alcoholics are at an increased risk for developing leaky gut syndrome for this reason.

I have same thing and think it is candida overgrow related. Yeast loves sugar and alcohol...

This sucks. I really liked having a few drinks several times per week. It seems my system has changed so much over the last few years. Bummer. Alcohol consumption is definitely out of the question now. My vices have become fewer and fewer. I'm not too fond of reality as it currently is.

Thomas

This sucks. I really liked having a few drinks several times per week. It seems my system has changed so much over the last few years. Bummer. Alcohol consumption is definitely out of the question now. My vices have become fewer and fewer. I'm not too fond of reality as it currently is.

Thomas

Like some other people on this thread said, you just need to see what works well with your body. I noticed after going gluten free, that I have a much stronger reaction now when I drink alcohol. I definitely cannot have as much as I did before without feeling the effects. I have also had to experiement to see what types of alcohol my body will tolerate now. I have noticed that my body does not do well with vodkas (gluten free of course) but I can have Bacardi Rum (the clear one) mixed in with a diet coke and be just fine. Another alcohol I seem to do just fine with are the hard ciders (i.e. Woodchuck). I definitely have had to limit the types of alcohol I can consume though, but I have found some through trial and error that I seem to do just fine with. The other thing that has helped me out is making sure I eat before I drink anything. I've noticed the times my stomach has seemed to get upset from alcohol is the times I did not eat before drinking.

My stomach is pretty sensitive. Before I went gluten-free, alcohol used to make me feel awful--I'd get hot and dizzy after one drink so I basically stopped drinking.

After I had been on the diet for a while, I tried wine and do fine with it. I haven't tried anything else--I like wine so I just stick with that.

I have been wondering the same thing. I've been lookinng for ages for any information on gluten intolerance and alcohol intolerance. Have any of you who have previously replied on this post had any changes as to what you can drink now? I always used to have a drink or two - maybe a couple of times a week/fortnight and sometimes on the weekends. I've been gluten free for just over a year and have found myself not being able to have any amount of alcohol anymore. Even one premixed drink gives me a headache and makes me sick in my stomach. I'm sick of it as I'd love to have a drink some days but it's just not worth it as it makes me feel so terrible! :(

Many of the other posters no longer post on the board, although jerseyangel is still here. My husband had to quit alcohol for a different reason - it really stuffs up his sinuses badly now. :(

I have been wondering the same thing. I've been lookinng for ages for any information on gluten intolerance and alcohol intolerance. Have any of you who have previously replied on this post had any changes as to what you can drink now? I always used to have a drink or two - maybe a couple of times a week/fortnight and sometimes on the weekends. I've been gluten free for just over a year and have found myself not being able to have any amount of alcohol anymore. Even one premixed drink gives me a headache and makes me sick in my stomach. I'm sick of it as I'd love to have a drink some days but it's just not worth it as it makes me feel so terrible! :(

What are you drinking? I don't do any of the premixed drinks on the rare occasions I do drink. I also discovered early on that if I want a vodka and lemonade it needs to be a potato vodka. I more commonly drink a clear rum and Pepsi, wine or on rare cases a gluten-free beer. With those I have no issues but I never drink more than one. I do not tolerate distilled gluten grains and even one will make me sick so I avoid whiskey and rye or flavored rums.

I have this same problem. I keep thinking if I try new things I will find something that won't make me sick... For me it is not so much the stomach thing as it is a headache, my stomach doesn't hurt but I do throw up and just feel terrible. I think I'm just going to give it up. I'm tired of not feeling good.

For me alcohol affected me differently because of the massive weight loss. It doesn't make me sick, but I can't handle nearly as much.

Same - although maybe I;m just getting older? I had three drinks the other day and threw my guts up and then I had 3 drinks another day and had a 2 day hangover. I felt rotten. Before I realised I had a problem with gluten I started to get violently ill after drinking beer - I'd have a couple and then next day I would vomit bile all day long - I felt like death. I assumed it would all disappear if I drank gluten-free drinks - but no such luck. Although much less violently ill.

I have read in a couple of places that Celiac can make you more suseptible to alcohol because of the damage to your small intestine. That said, I usually have a stronger reaction to alcohol if it has bubbles (beer, cider, mixed with pop) than if it's flat (wine, or straight liquor). I drank almost an entire bottle of red wine last weekend, and hardly had any effect at all, but one can of Strongbow can make me ill.

This is going to sound bad, but its the truth. Before going gluten free, I drink daily, mostly beer, canadian whiskey, and vodka were my pleasures. 6-8 beers or 2-4 double shot drinks, or combination of both. I still drink daily, but now it's New Grist gluten free beer, hard ciders, rum, and corn vodka. (I don't care for tequila). I did drink some grain vodka and grain whiskey distilled at least 6 times. They didn't make me sick, but felt like I had been slightly gluten the next day. I did drink 2 double shots straight grain whiskey with my gluten free beer one evening, which was not uncommon prior to being gluten free, I got thorwing up sick that night and woke up with blood vessels busted in one eye. I no longer drink hard liquer straight.

I know someone reading this is thinking "why do you drink"? I don't understand why someone smokes, drinks large amounts of fountain soda, eats a whole bag of chips or seeds. I just want to share what I've experianced with drinkng and being gluten free.

Can some one explain to me why so many people are shocked that they can't tolerate alcohol and need to find a reason? I have a reason for them, alcohol is literally poison. The human body was not designed to tolerate alcohol. I don't know, maybe because I rarely drink my opinion is different.

Incant drink anymore. Wine especially makes me very ill. I just gave it up. I can tell you I look better than ever!