Rate this topic

I was dx with celiac disease a little over 3 months ago. My dad had childhood diabetes and died from it at 56. My Dad's dad has two sisters (one died from cancer and the other is currently dying from cancer). Plus he had a brother who died of cancer as well as his father. Just wondering if it would be a good idea to ask my grandfathers sister who is currently battling cancer to get tested to see if she has this Celiac gene too and maybe they all were allergic to wheat and didn't know it and ended up with cancer because of it. Am I correct on thinking this is how it works. Maybe their cancer is due to the gene, so have one of them tested to see if this is the case? Or could I just ask my grandfather (their brother who hasn't had any problems) get tested. Which would be the best test to request or am I wasting my time?

I was dx with celiac disease a little over 3 months ago. My dad had childhood diabetes and died from it at 56. My Dad's dad has two sisters (one died from cancer and the other is currently dying from cancer). Plus he had a brother who died of cancer as well as his father. Just wondering if it would be a good idea to ask my grandfathers sister who is currently battling cancer to get tested to see if she has this Celiac gene too and maybe they all were allergic to wheat and didn't know it and ended up with cancer because of it. Am I correct on thinking this is how it works. Maybe their cancer is due to the gene, so have one of them tested to see if this is the case? Or could I just ask my grandfather (their brother who hasn't had any problems) get tested. Which would be the best test to request or am I wasting my time?

I would start with the Celiac Blood Panel:

Anti-gliadin antibodies (AGA) both IgA and IgG

Anti-endomysial antibodies (EMA) - IgA

Anti-tissue transglutaminase antibodies (tTG) - IgA

Total IgA level.