This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Feeling So Down

Frances03

Frances03 Enthusiast

I was doing well with this, not upset much, but now I am getting just - oh what is the word, discouraged? yes. because I have been on this diet for several weeks now and I haven't noticed change at all, now I'm in tears. I'm trying so hard! I'm still bloated, this morning I woke up 2 pounds heavier than yesterday morning, and I barely ate yesterday, just had a gluten free nut bar, and a taco salad I made for dinner with lettuce and hamburger and kidney beans and such. I shouldn't be gaining weight! That makes me so upset!! And my husband and kids and I, we LOVED to go out to eat together. That is what we did ever week. Now we haven't been out once in weeks, and there is no place to go in our town either. We don't even have an outback or a carrabas or anything like that. We used to order pizza too-can't do that any more. and I feel like my family is missing out on everything we like to do because of ME! I dont feel like a thing has changed since I started this diet. I'm still itchy all the time tho some days are better than others. Day before yesterday I was eating a Thai Kitchen rice noodle bowl and when I got done, I had a sort of blister in the way back top of my mouth above where my tonsils are. Today it's still there and it hurts! What is that?? is it from something I ate? I dont know. I am a lot less gassy than I used to be (and I thought that gas was NORMAL all those years) but some days I am still really gassy again. I dont know what to feed my family, people keep telling me to give up this and also that, and there's nothing left to eat! If I give up gluten, AND dairy, AND nightshades, what do I eat?? I can't have any of my favorite foods then! No salsa, no potato chips, no chocolate, no CHEESE?? I feel totally completely HOPELESS now!! and I wasn't going to do this either!! I was going to be HAPPY with this diet, because it finally meant something I could control, something I could do myself, but it's NOT WORKING!!! I had 3 really bad headaches and 2 seizures over the past couple weeks. My bowels are still messed up, my joints are killing me, I'm 38 and I can barely walk up and down my stairs because my knees hurt so bad. The left side of my jaw joint is in PAIN! I can't chew anything hard or open my mouth too wide and what is that about?? I have no idea! My arms are still falling asleep 15 times every night. I am totally completely DEPRESSED now too. and I'm so irritable, I feel sorry for my entire family having to live with me! I'm ruining their lives too! I have some appt with a dietician at the hospital this week, I'm sure is going to be a waste of time. What is she going to tell me that I don't already know??? She called and said my dr wants her to go over the "gluten free diet" with me and it should take about half an hour. Oh boy! I dont even know why I'm typing this all out, no one is going to be able to help me at all! And this is so not LIKE ME!! I am usually positive and upbeat about everything, I dind't even care about giving up gluten, I dont even LIKE BREAD or cake or cookies or anything anyway!!! but, I gave up gluten and nothing has changed! I dont even know where to go from here!! I'm sorry

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

You poor thing :( I understand where you are now--it can be so hard at first....the diagnosis (knowing what we have--finally) and then the diet is supposed to make us feel better (and it will) but for some it takes longer than others.

It's been about a month for you--it really can take a few months to a couple years to heal to the point where we feel considerably better. It took me about 2 years until I had mostly good days. This is especially true of those of us who were diagnosed after age 35 or so--we've accumulated a lot of damage and not just to our intestine. It took a lot to get to the point you were at when diagnosed, and it can take time for your body to sort it all out.

I felt better almost immediately after going gluten-free, although at that time the most noticeable and debilitating symptom I had was constant, urgent D. When that abated, other things began to surface--things that I had been "dealing" with and thinking it was "just me". Headaches, anemia, skin issues, brain fog, anxiety, etc. Those slowly got better as time went on.

I know you have tried cutting out other foods--that can be so tricky. In the beginning, our symptoms are confusing and it's so difficult to tell what is causing what. Have you tried keeping a simple food log? I found that very helpful.

Please don't be discouraged, and feel free to come here and get your thoughts out. We have all been there--it's a bit different for everyone but just know you're not alone. :)

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I don't have much to add except hang in there. It does take a while to heal and it is soooo overwhelming at first. Some of us will go through a bit of a withdrawl also and that can make us depressed and irritable but it will pass.

I know you have said you really love cheese, what you could do is go with a hard cheese like cheddar for a bit but avoid soft cheeses and milk. The damage to our intestines messes with our ability to digest lactose from milk which is why many of us will say to avoid it at first. Cheddar and other hard cheeses don't have any lactose nor does yogurt. You could try keeping those in at first, so you don't feel quite so deprived. After you have healed well then you could try adding back in rest and see if it bothers you.

I hope you are feeling better soon. It's hard but you will get used to the diet and you will find ways to cope with the other issues that arise from it.

knittygirl1014 Rookie

10 months ago I could have written that exact same post! I promise you will find new favorite foods. Try experimenting with Indian and Thai cuisine, they are very flavorful and a lot of stuff is gluten free, and you can make them yourself! Also keep in mind that the depression can be part of the physical reaction, so tell yourself it is normal and don't blame yourself! I had to give up dairy for 10 months and it was sooo hard and I was really upset about it. I was able to add it back last week though. As for gaining weight, I think for some of us it is unavoidable. I gained 25 lbs and it really sucks, but it will start to turn around soon I hope. Hang in there and things will get better!

Wolicki Enthusiast

I share many of the same frustrations as you. I am gaining weight at a ridiculous rate, with no end in sight on a 1600 calorie a day diet. Bleh!

The good news is that it does get better. I am still tweaking everything. I have been gluten-free since July, and I was bloated and gassy and looked preggers for a solid 2 months. (BTW don't take Beano, it has wheat!). I think most of my issues are from food intolerances. I've been trying not to do an elimination diet, because I feel like I've had to give up so much already. I gave up dairy, nuts, all grains and starches, legumes and anything processed. I just couldn't handle them. I can now tolerate small amounts of dairy and rice. But, I think nightshades are a problem for me, too, so today is my first day without.

Keep your food diary, and maybe consider an elimination or Paleo diet. It's not forever, just until you heal a bit more. As for your family, I am CERTAIN that they want Mommy to be healthy above all else. They will survive this temporary problem and so will you. It will get better as time goes on. I know, you probably want to strangle me for saying that, because I wanted to do the same to my doctors.

Hang in there. Doublcheck all products (especially makeup, toothpaste, etc). It will get better, I promise! You have all of us to lean on when you need it!

Janie

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast

Sound like one of two things, you either picked up a little gluten somewhere which has tossed you down in the dumps or you are passing into another stage of grief/loss. Gaining weight could be a sign that your body is starting to work normal.

Your family is not missing out on anything that is necessary in life. They have you and your have them. You can send them out to eat pizza while you do something special for yourself or have a pizza night (order gluten-free crusts online if you can't get them in your town) at home with movies or games to make it special. Rent a crazy vampire movie or some family show and eat on the floor in the living room. Your family will remember a night like that more than if you go out to eat at a pizza place.

Remember also that your body will go into a withdrawal phase and protest a lot. It is worth the trouble. Wish I could come over to have a cuppa something with you.

Let us know how we can help you.

Frances03 Enthusiast

Thanks you guys!!! I am so glad to read these replies. I've had a truly horrible day today emotionally and I don't know why!! But I will get thru it and thank you so much for all these posts really.

Jersey, yes I am keeping a food journal, and it's ugly. I'm not eating well enough I know. I just find it SO hard to figure out what to eat. I've only had 3 things for breakfast since I started this. Either brown rice warm in a bowl with rice milk, banana, maple syrup, cinnamon on top, or a mushroom omelette, or a fruit smoothie. Okay why am I complaining about that?? written down it sounds good. I guess because I feel like I can't have the cheese on the omelette if I have to give up dairy, and without the cheese what is the point of the omelette? And I dont really like fruit so the fruit smoothies aren't my favorite.

Raven, I did not know that about cheese. Does swiss have casein in it? That is what I usually put in my omelette, and I love cheddar too. But it is still milk isn't it? I'm confused I guess. I don't eat yogurt normally but I would try it. I dont like to have all the sweetener but I like plain yogurt with honey on it sometimes. Maybe I can try that. Thank you for these suggestions!

Knitty-thank you for your words. I do love to cook, I LOVE it, I even have a huge cookbook collection, and I think it does sound fun to try out new cuisines, so I will give that a shot. I guess it's just so overwhelming at first to change everything it feels like, all at once.

Wolicki-your post has scared me. I do not want to gain weight, I already feel like a complete failure for weighing what I do. I admit I thought that I would lose weight as soon as I went gluten free since I blamed the celiac for all the weight gain. Since that isn't happening, I think it is depressing me.

Ahorsesoul, I think you are totally correct. I think I am getting gluten somewhere because sometimes I feel okay inside and then all the sudden I will wake up like I did today, just feeling HOPELESS and awful and depressed and miserable. But I don't know where I would have gotten gluten. I love your idea for a pizza night. I think I will do that. I have been putting off getting any gluten free baking type things because I wanted to get all the gluten out of the house first. I am still making gluten containing items for my family like muffins and such because I didn't want to waste all that food. And I dont want to go buy all the new flours and things with the old still here. But I guess that philosophy is just keeping me from moving on with my new gluten free life. Maybe it's time to just throw it all OUT and go shopping and start enjoying my kitchen again.

But then again, I feel like I'll just end up with a bunch of things I can't eat, if I need to stop having dairy, nightshades, possibly soy?? See, what am I putting on pizza if I can't have tomato! And there you have it. Every decision I make has all these issues!! I think I might be crazy.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Wolicki Enthusiast

Wolicki-your post has scared me. I do not want to gain weight, I already feel like a complete failure for weighing what I do. I admit I thought that I would lose weight as soon as I went gluten free since I blamed the celiac for all the weight gain. Since that isn't happening, I think it is depressing me.

I am so sorry, I did not mean to do that. I was really, really thin, just a skeleton when I got diagnosed. My doctor says it's just a reaction to malnutrition, and that once my body realizes that I am not going to starve it anymore, I will stop gaining and have somewhat of a normal metabolism. I think that's probably what's going on with you, too. No matter what size you start at, your body is craving nutrients, so it hangs on. I have faith that it will work out for both of us. :D

carsondcat Newbie

i just want to add that yes you do go through a grieving process when you realise what you can't eat any more, crying screaming, why me.. and yes it does feel hopeless as if things will never be the same again, but believe us those feelings do pass, i couldn't bear to watch other people eating "normal food" and that passed, then, i used to obsess and watch every mouthful imagining what it tasted like, i hate to think looking back how completely mad i must have looked drooling at the mouth, but, you get over it.... and yes i stopped eating out for a while but you get over that too. and yes i restricted what i ate because i was worried that the agonising pain would come back but you get over that too.You just haven't found you're coping mechanism yet, but you will, because you have to for the sake of the rest of your family you do. And if you're still feeling depressed then you should really seek professional help especially if you can't get that understanding you're seeking from your loved ones. Also your weight will fluctuate day to day that's normal. see the dietitian you never know they might be able to tell you things you didn't know. By the way it's been nearly 9 years gluten free for me and I'm still learning about the gluten-free diet almost daily...............................

Yup Apprentice

I got diagnosed back in March and I have good days and bad. More bad at this point. I'm still exhausted and my stressful job isn't helping. Hang in there!

Mysh Rookie

I'm struggling too - not becuase I'ver given up gluten, but like you, I don't feel any better. We just have to keep at it I guess.

One thing I do do for myself was to go out and buy some specific gluten free cookbooks. Cooking has always been a source of joy for me and I didn't want something else to be taken away from me and I often spend the evening just looking at what I can have. I find it eaiser now to adpat other recipes I see in mainstream books too.

I also keep gluten free bases in for pizza nights and we make our own pizzas now. I do some lovely desserts and don't feel deprived at all. I still like to go out for Indian/Thai and Mexican. Could these be an option for you?

GFinDC Veteran

OK,

Simple whole foods

Simple whole foods

Simple whole foods

And then try

Simple whole foods

And stick with them a while (like 3 months) (or years)

And see if you don't feel lots better and learn a different way of eating.

Skip all the processed foods until you learn your way around the diet. Skip eating at restaurants until you have your diet under control.

Yes, it is a big change.

Yes, it takes some adjustment on your part and your families part too.

Yes, you can do it!

It gets easier.

It could even get to be fun, finding new foods to eat.

Do think about an elimination diet. Testing your own personal body is a good way to know what your own individual body likes now. We are out of the realm of generalizations now, and need to learn our own special needs. We-un's being a little different than other folks. Not weird, just different.

Eat simple live free!

Kinda slogan-ie eh?

Remember too that this is a genetic condition, and your kids may develop it sometime too. So any learning they pick up from you is to their possible benefit later. Chip off the old block?

I am still learning too after almost 2 years. But it is worth it and I feel much better lately than I have most of this year.

I think being a little bummed out is not unusual and maybe some frustration is normal too. Shoot, any emotions you want to have are fine, this stuff is hard to adjust to. So much to learn!

Hang in there and don't expect to learn it all at once. It comes as it comes.

This is meant to be supportive. I hope it reads that way!

:)

tmbarke Apprentice

Oh McPhena...........I wish I could hold you till you could get it all out!

I know that once you can get this all out you'll at least feel a bit of peace to have unloaded such a heavy weight bearing on your heart and your shoulders.

Go see the dietician! Make them earn their money that day! Tell them what it is you feel and when and how often. They may notice what is right and wrong about your diet vs symptoms. It could be nutrients still not being met that could clear up 1 thing.

Communication is key.

My boyfriend has celiac - I'm positive......and he had an autistic son......and he has autistic grandchildren from his daughter. He has the migraines all the time and light sensitivity and the ED and the pain in his stomach so bad that we can't go do anything.....and he's bloated a lot.

It KILLS me that he won't listen to me and change his eating habits.

YOU on the other hand are struggling with yours and doing something about it the best that you can! You're here because you're not alone and we can all relate and share something that may help you to remain positive and hopeful.

I've had the jaw pain and knee pain and the back and joint pains too.......I cried and whined and felt lost and hopeless because I was too young to feel this old. Depression was my lifestyle.

I can understand how no relief can make you feel more frustrated than ever - the rollercoaster of emotion has a way of keeping you in the normal grasp.

My weight isn't changing but my pain has............I look at what feeling I'm thankful for everyday that keeps my mind on the right track.

Show your dietician your food journal and how you feel on certain days after eating what. That may help her to help you.......at least she can help you to balance your daily needs to get you on a plateau......or you can just threaten to smack the back of her head like some people on this forum do!

lol

I do agree tho, send your family out when you're not emotionally stable to make dinner - and the family nite can be therapeutic too.

You have to be a tad selfish and a tad stern.

I love ya regardless of how you feel!

Always!

*HUGS*

Tena

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast

Remember too that when cook gluten items you maybe getting glutened from that especially if it has flour in it. The flour is light, will float in the air and you will breathe it into your system. If you are very sensitive this maybe part of your problem.

Frances03 Enthusiast

Do you think just inhaling it can be a problem? Because I did make them brownies and muffins twice in the past week. And when I dumped the mix into the bowl it did go into the air. I wiped everything down really well after but I didn't really think about breathing it in. I am fanatically wiping everything down all the time now, and I'm driving myself crazy with it. I can't wait to get my kitchen gluten free! I feel like I still still need to have regular bread and cereal for my husband tho. But at least that could be contained, hopefully.

I think I really do need to give up dairy. Maybe in a while I will try hard cheeses and see how that goes. But last night I decided to do a dairy challenge! I went to Wendy's and my whole family got frosty's. Well within 1/2 an hour of eating mine, and I had a SMALL, I had bloating, gas, massive noises going on in my stomach, and NAUSEA! Does that sound like dairy intolerance? Then this morning I had 2 terrible bm's, and a lot of pain in my stomach :( I remember when I was a small child, I was taken off of dairy at a doctor's insistance but I don't remember why, and they eventually added it back in and it was never mentioned again.

ang1e0251 Contributor

Do you think just inhaling it can be a problem? Because I did make them brownies and muffins twice in the past week. And when I dumped the mix into the bowl it did go into the air. I wiped everything down really well after but I didn't really think about breathing it in. I am fanatically wiping everything down all the time now, and I'm driving myself crazy with it. I can't wait to get my kitchen gluten free! I feel like I still still need to have regular bread and cereal for my husband tho. But at least that could be contained, hopefully.

Get the gluten flour OUT of your house! You inhale it then you swallow it and guess what! Yes, inhaling it is the same as eating it. No gluten flour at all. Give it away, throw it out, donate it but never cook with it again. I still have bread and oatmeal for my husband but no other products and no flour ever in my kitchen. My little niece asked me to bake an angelfood cake with her and I had to say no. I told her we could cook something else. That made me sad. But I've come a long way to be glutened like that.

I think I really do need to give up dairy. Maybe in a while I will try hard cheeses and see how that goes. But last night I decided to do a dairy challenge! I went to Wendy's and my whole family got frosty's. Well within 1/2 an hour of eating mine, and I had a SMALL, I had bloating, gas, massive noises going on in my stomach, and NAUSEA! Does that sound like dairy intolerance? Then this morning I had 2 terrible bm's, and a lot of pain in my stomach :( I remember when I was a small child, I was taken off of dairy at a doctor's insistance but I don't remember why, and they eventually added it back in and it was never mentioned again.

That sounds like my reaction to lactose. I also get terrible colon spasms, etc. I'm not allergic to casein, the protein in milk so I can tolerate aged cheeses and a little butter. You can probably tolerate those things too. You just have to try.

I'm going to go back to what was said before. In the beginning, eat only simple, whole foods. That's meat, beans, fruit, nuts, and vegetables cooked yourself with single ingredient spices. When you feel good and have the hang of that, maybe in a month, then add in new foods one at a time every few days to see how you react. No processed foods in the beginning. Keep a food journal with your symptoms listed. If you eat simply like that and still cannot feel any better, than take another look for hidden gluten or other intolerances.. But most likely you will feel better on that diet. When you start adding new foods it will be easy to see what bothers you.

What vitamin supplements are you taking? Some of them can help with pain and discomfort. Let us know. It takes time but with a good clean start you will be able to do it. Your family can handle a bit of time where their diet is altered. They cannot handle life without you.

Frances03 Enthusiast
Get the gluten flour OUT of your house! You inhale it then you swallow it and guess what! Yes, inhaling it is the same as eating it. No gluten flour at all. Give it away, throw it out, donate it but never cook with it again. I still have bread and oatmeal for my husband but no other products and no flour ever in my kitchen. My little niece asked me to bake an angelfood cake with her and I had to say no. I told her we could cook something else. That made me sad. But I've come a long way to be glutened like that.

That sounds like my reaction to lactose. I also get terrible colon spasms, etc. I'm not allergic to casein, the protein in milk so I can tolerate aged cheeses and a little butter. You can probably tolerate those things too. You just have to try.

I'm going to go back to what was said before. In the beginning, eat only simple, whole foods. That's meat, beans, fruit, nuts, and vegetables cooked yourself with single ingredient spices. When you feel good and have the hang of that, maybe in a month, then add in new foods one at a time every few days to see how you react. No processed foods in the beginning. Keep a food journal with your symptoms listed. If you eat simply like that and still cannot feel any better, than take another look for hidden gluten or other intolerances.. But most likely you will feel better on that diet. When you start adding new foods it will be easy to see what bothers you.

What vitamin supplements are you taking? Some of them can help with pain and discomfort. Let us know. It takes time but with a good clean start you will be able to do it. Your family can handle a bit of time where their diet is altered. They cannot handle life without you.

I am taking magnesium tho they said mine was normal, vitamin D because mine is low, iron because mine is low, and I'm supposed to start some B vitamins, my B1 is low and my B2 is low, and I'm waiting on my B12 test.

I understand what you are saying about no processed foods but I don't know how to institute it! I never realized I used so many processed items, I was very particular about my family's diet. I made everything from scratch. I never bought hamburger helper, rice a roni, macaroni and cheese, ramen, premade pb&j's, sugar cereal, soda pop, NONE of that stuff! You said "In the beginning, eat only simple, whole foods. That's meat, beans, fruit, nuts, and vegetables cooked yourself with single ingredient spices." But I dont know what to DO with that! I dont know what to eat for breakfast on that list! I dont like fruit! That list doesn't include eggs, or rice milk, or maple syrup. What do I eat for lunch? That list doesn't include rice crackers or mayo (which I can't have without dairy so what do I do with tuna?) or corn tortillas or anything. I feel totally hopeless again!

I also have pancake mix and bisquick in my pantry. Should I be getting rid of those too or could I use those up for my family? I have a whole bunch of whole wheat flour as I used to make my own bread. I have an angel food cake mix left. Tomorrow is my sons birthday and he wants a cheescake, and I usually make the graham crust myself by whirring grahams in my food processor. Well this day is quickly going downhill. I will have to figure a way to bring it back up again.

mcoffey21 Newbie

Today, I was feeling very down about our situation, then I read your post, and it reminded me how difficult it REALLY is in the beginning stages. My daughter was (FINALLY) diagnosed with celiac disease a year ago this month. We took her off all gluten and dairy immediately. It really took her about 9 months to truly begin to feel better. I was VERY careful to insure there was NO cross contamintaion, and we basically stopped eating out. After those 9 months, I saw a totally different child. She was happy again! She had energy to go to school, and she, well she was better. Then we moved, and her symptoms began to come back. Fatigue, joint pain, stomach pain, acid reflux, all of it!!!! I think we were to relaxed cause she was feeling better.. Now, I feel like we are back at square one. But reading your post, reminds me, that I have to get back to the basics!

I am truly sorry for what you are going thru. I wouldn't wish this on anyone! But, there is a light at the end of the tunnel.. In the beginning, I took my whole family gluten-free! It made my life MUCH easier, and it made my daughter feel less isolated! So I did a lot of research (it is a never ending path) but I found some amazing products out there that taste good! Pizza!!! Pasta!!! Alfredo (my daughters favorite)!!

Ener G makes some great products. Their pizza crust is really good!

Last year, I was blessed to be introduced to a woman named Peggy Curry who lived in my community. She was the first person I came across who knew anything about gluten-free living. She has a website kitchenblessings.com (or just google kitchen blessings).. She often posts recipes that are gluten-free/Casin Free and can help you modify ANY recipe to be gluten-free. She made our journey so much easier.. I would encourage you to check out her website, and perhaps even reach out to her.

One thing I will stress is that you have to insure that you have NO cross contamination. Don't share things like toasters, cutting boards, etc... And eating out is probably a bad thing, for a little while any way!!! Just because they say it's gluten-free doesn't mean it is... there is always risk of cross contamination in the kitchen... I truly believe that the slightest bit of cross contamination affects my daughter to the extreme.

Anyway, I could go on and on, but I think you get the point.. Please check out kitchen blessings. I have taken some of her gluten-free cooking classes, and my family LOVES the recipes! I promise you will too!!!

Good Luck to you!!!! :rolleyes:

ravenwoodglass Mentor
I am taking magnesium tho they said mine was normal, vitamin D because mine is low, iron because mine is low, and I'm supposed to start some B vitamins, my B1 is low and my B2 is low, and I'm waiting on my B12 test.

I understand what you are saying about no processed foods but I don't know how to institute it! I never realized I used so many processed items, I was very particular about my family's diet. I made everything from scratch. I never bought hamburger helper, rice a roni, macaroni and cheese, ramen, premade pb&j's, sugar cereal, soda pop, NONE of that stuff! You said "In the beginning, eat only simple, whole foods. That's meat, beans, fruit, nuts, and vegetables cooked yourself with single ingredient spices." But I dont know what to DO with that! I dont know what to eat for breakfast on that list! I dont like fruit! That list doesn't include eggs, or rice milk, or maple syrup. What do I eat for lunch? That list doesn't include rice crackers or mayo (which I can't have without dairy so what do I do with tuna?) or corn tortillas or anything. I feel totally hopeless again!

I also have pancake mix and bisquick in my pantry. Should I be getting rid of those too or could I use those up for my family? I have a whole bunch of whole wheat flour as I used to make my own bread. I have an angel food cake mix left. Tomorrow is my sons birthday and he wants a cheescake, and I usually make the graham crust myself by whirring grahams in my food processor. Well this day is quickly going downhill. I will have to figure a way to bring it back up again.

I would give those mixes and flours to a freind or relative that can use them.

If you tolerate eggs, rice milk (don't get Rice Dream), maple syrup keep them in your diet. There are gluten free waffles ready made that you can buy and you can find mixes for virtually anything that has gluten in it in gluten free form. Betty Crocker has gluten free cake, cookie and brownie mixes and Gluten Free Pantry makes a lot of real good stuff. Their french bread mix makes great pizza dough even though it is hard to spread ( I chill it a bit first). Many of the gluten free items taste good enough so your kids won't even know that the brownie you just gave them was gluten free.

Mi-del makes some good cookies for cheesecake crusts. I use the arrowroot ones or the ginger snaps. It is probablly to late for you to find them but perhaps a store near you might carry them. Or you could have one of the kids help with crushing the gram crackers in a doubled or tripled plastic bag instead of the blender. A rolling pin or the bottom of a heavy glass will work. You can melt the butter and then let the kids mix and form it into the pan. Or you could get a gram craker ready crust I have seen those. Then you would just need to fill it.

If you are already making a lot of stuff from scratch you already know how to cook gluten free. You just need to learn when you need to substitute gluten-free stuff into your recipes and you'll get it. Things will get easier.

Happy birthday to your son tommorrow and I hope you have a better day.

ang1e0251 Contributor

Check how much magnesium you're taking. The amounts that are supposed to be in the normal range some dr's say is not enough. I read the book "The Miracle Magnesium" from my library and those guidelines helped me. Of course that is your own personal decision and whatever you decide is OK but since you still have pain I wanted to mention it. I would run, not walk, to buy the B vitamins and a sublingual B12 (methyl type) in addition to that. It made a big difference in my well being and I learned about it here on this forum.

I understand what you are saying about no processed foods but I don't know how to institute it! I never realized I used so many processed items, I was very particular about my family's diet. I made everything from scratch. I never bought hamburger helper, rice a roni, macaroni and cheese, ramen, premade pb&j's, sugar cereal, soda pop, NONE of that stuff! You said "In the beginning, eat only simple, whole foods. That's meat, beans, fruit, nuts, and vegetables cooked yourself with single ingredient spices." But I dont know what to DO with that!

Don't panic. This is just for you to start with. You are still in pain and still having trouble. So you need drastic measures. It's not forever only until you show improvement and get the hang of the diet you need. It's to bring you to a sense of wellness and help you identify problem foods. You can handle this for a month or so.

I dont know what to eat for breakfast on that list! I dont like fruit! That list doesn't include eggs, or rice milk, or maple syrup. What do I eat for lunch? That list doesn't include rice crackers or mayo (which I can't have without dairy so what do I do with tuna?) or corn tortillas or anything. I feel totally hopeless again!

Here I'm going to disagree with ravenwoodglass about anything with gluten-free flours. It's because you are still having so much trouble and not feeling better. Those foods you can add back in when you see an improvement in your day to day symptoms.

I have to apologize to you. I did leave eggs and rice off that list and they are an important part of a diet IF they don't bother you. Go ahead and have them. What kind of rice milk are you drinking? Rice Dream has been a problem for many on the board.

No rice crackers for now. I would even skip the mayo for at least the first few days. This is to give you a good start. I would eat the tuna straight or have something else like leftovers. Eat meat cooked with single ingredient spices, rice and vegies. Eat hardboiled eggs. Nuts and nut butters.

I also have pancake mix and bisquick in my pantry. Should I be getting rid of those too or could I use those up for my family? I have a whole bunch of whole wheat flour as I used to make my own bread. I have an angel food cake mix left. Tomorrow is my sons birthday and he wants a cheescake, and I usually make the graham crust myself by whirring grahams in my food processor.

Follow the advice for your son's birthday but get rid of all of those mixes. You are CCing yourself. Give yourself a chance to heal.

Well this day is quickly going downhill. I will have to figure a way to bring it back up again.

I'm not trying to bring you down. You said you were desperate to feel better and I'm trying to show you the way to do it. Until you get the gluten out of your life and any other foods you are sensitive to, you are not going to be well. And I want you to be well!! I know you can do this. You're doing it for your family and you're doing it for yourself. You want to know how to be well so you can get back to doing all those things you and your family love to do. And you will. Will you try?

Frances03 Enthusiast

of course I will try, I have to. Thank you all so much for this help. Right now I want to know, what would you do about this?? My middle son will turn 10 tomorrow, and he wants Lasagna and Cheesecake for his birthday meal! I think I can make the cheesecake with a premade crust because I'm not going to be eating that anyway, but the lasagna, I can't make a gluten free dairy free lasagna can I?? I guess I won't be eating with my family for my son's birthday, which is a bummer and I feel like I'm grieving over this!!

What is a sublingual B12 (methyl type)?? And should I just get b1 and b2 separately or just get a big B vitamin? as for the magnesium, the bottle says a serving size is 3 tablets and that is 400mg However, when I took that, I woke up in the middle of the night every night with my heart racing and it really scared me. So I stopped taking it altogether. Then just 2 days ago I started back up just taking 2 tablets so I guess that is about 266mg a day. I have never had my heart race before and it only happened the 3 nights in a row I took the 400mg of magnesium.

I am drinking Pacific now at the recommendation of someone somewhere on this board. I started with Rice Dream but felt awful after drinking it and then I found out why. I have a post here somewhere about that. It made me really mad at Rice Dream!

I admit I did not eat as healthy as I could have before I started gluten free. I would make my children eat a lot of fruits and veggies, and I wouldn't eat them! We have started buying 2 bunches of bananas a couple times a week now, because with me actually eating them too, we are going thru them fast. I dont like them plain though. I will eat them in my cereal, or with nutella on them, but I guess I am done with nutella too. I will eat them in a smoothie. I will eat an apple with almond butter but not plain. I do like veggies a lot, I just don't seem to take the time to prepare them for myself. I need to. I really really appreciate this help, I do ang1e.

Ravenswoodglass-thank you for your post too. Maybe I will go ahead and give away the flours and mixes I have. I didn't think it would hurt to just make them for my family but I guess it does. I have a feeling some of my kids are going to end up on this diet too. I have spent 15 years learning how to cook for my husband and family and that is my livelihood you know?? I feel like I have nothing to contribute if I cannot cook for them! And I have to learn how to do it all a new way! I will learn in tho. Thank you so much, everone.

tmbarke Apprentice

Just curious........but doesn't a frosty have malt? If you wanted to do a test.....I would have just drank a glass of milk to find out. Now you may have the gluten reaction as well.

mcoffey21 Newbie
of course I will try, I have to. Thank you all so much for this help. Right now I want to know, what would you do about this?? My middle son will turn 10 tomorrow, and he wants Lasagna and Cheesecake for his birthday meal! I think I can make the cheesecake with a premade crust because I'm not going to be eating that anyway, but the lasagna, I can't make a gluten free dairy free lasagna can I?? I guess I won't be eating with my family for my son's birthday, which is a bummer and I feel like I'm grieving over this!!

What is a sublingual B12 (methyl type)?? And should I just get b1 and b2 separately or just get a big B vitamin? as for the magnesium, the bottle says a serving size is 3 tablets and that is 400mg However, when I took that, I woke up in the middle of the night every night with my heart racing and it really scared me. So I stopped taking it altogether. Then just 2 days ago I started back up just taking 2 tablets so I guess that is about 266mg a day. I have never had my heart race before and it only happened the 3 nights in a row I took the 400mg of magnesium.

I am drinking Pacific now at the recommendation of someone somewhere on this board. I started with Rice Dream but felt awful after drinking it and then I found out why. I have a post here somewhere about that. It made me really mad at Rice Dream!

I admit I did not eat as healthy as I could have before I started gluten free. I would make my children eat a lot of fruits and veggies, and I wouldn't eat them! We have started buying 2 bunches of bananas a couple times a week now, because with me actually eating them too, we are going thru them fast. I dont like them plain though. I will eat them in my cereal, or with nutella on them, but I guess I am done with nutella too. I will eat them in a smoothie. I will eat an apple with almond butter but not plain. I do like veggies a lot, I just don't seem to take the time to prepare them for myself. I need to. I really really appreciate this help, I do ang1e.

Ravenswoodglass-thank you for your post too. Maybe I will go ahead and give away the flours and mixes I have. I didn't think it would hurt to just make them for my family but I guess it does. I have a feeling some of my kids are going to end up on this diet too. I have spent 15 years learning how to cook for my husband and family and that is my livelihood you know?? I feel like I have nothing to contribute if I cannot cook for them! And I have to learn how to do it all a new way! I will learn in tho. Thank you so much, everone.

mcoffey21 Newbie

Since I am new to this site/forum and haven't read your posts before today I don't know much about your situation.. I know in many small towns it is difficult to get some of the gluten-free/ Dairy free products. But I know you can make delicious healthy meals that are gluten-free and dairy free. Below is a recipe for a ricotta substitute. gluten-free foods can take some getting used to. The texture is often different and you will have to use LOTS of veggies, so if you're not a veggie lover, you should get used to it.. It takes some playing around with, but take it from someone who hates cooking any kind of food , it can be done!!!! Pine nuts will also be a big help. Your family will get used to the flavors and textures..

Simply make you lasagna using gluten-free noodles. My kids like Tinkyada.. They taste pretty close to normal... And use the mixture below as a ricotta substitute..

14 oz. box medium firm or firm tofu

2 cloves garlic, finely chopped or 1 tsp garlic powder

1/4 c. olive oil

1 tsp basil

1 tsp oregano

1 tsp parsley

1 tsp salt (or to taste)

dash of black pepper

Mash tofu. Add all other ingredients. Continue mashing until it has a ricotta-like texture. If you want it super smooth, you could put the tofu in a blender or food processor before adding the other ingredients.

I replied to an earlier post today, and suggested you email the founder of kitchenblessings.com She would more than likely be able to tell you exactly how to make a gluten-free/Dairy free lasagna too.

Another GREAT resource for Gluten Free recipes is glutenfreeda.com

Living gluten-free really means learning how to cook all over again, but once you do, you will love the food!!!!

Happy Happy Birthday celebrations to you AND your son.

p.s. Try not to worry too much about your children facing what you are now. Neither my husband nor I have any family history of Celiac Disease or Hashimoto Thyroiditis (my youngest daughter has this, she's 11) yet both of my children have them...

:rolleyes:

Frances03 Enthusiast
Just curious........but doesn't a frosty have malt? If you wanted to do a test.....I would have just drank a glass of milk to find out. Now you may have the gluten reaction as well.

I thought wendy's frosty's were gluten free, I dont think they have malt.

Archived