This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Feeling So Down

Frances03

Frances03 Enthusiast

Thank you mcoffey, I did see your earlier post and I am researching your websites now. They look like great sites! I will definitely try your ricotta substitute, it sounds good. Thank you again for your replies.

Since I am new to this site/forum and haven't read your posts before today I don't know much about your situation.. I know in many small towns it is difficult to get some of the gluten-free/ Dairy free products. But I know you can make delicious healthy meals that are gluten-free and dairy free. Below is a recipe for a ricotta substitute. gluten-free foods can take some getting used to. The texture is often different and you will have to use LOTS of veggies, so if you're not a veggie lover, you should get used to it.. It takes some playing around with, but take it from someone who hates cooking any kind of food , it can be done!!!! Pine nuts will also be a big help. Your family will get used to the flavors and textures..

Simply make you lasagna using gluten-free noodles. My kids like Tinkyada.. They taste pretty close to normal... And use the mixture below as a ricotta substitute..

14 oz. box medium firm or firm tofu

2 cloves garlic, finely chopped or 1 tsp garlic powder

1/4 c. olive oil

1 tsp basil

1 tsp oregano

1 tsp parsley

1 tsp salt (or to taste)

dash of black pepper

Mash tofu. Add all other ingredients. Continue mashing until it has a ricotta-like texture. If you want it super smooth, you could put the tofu in a blender or food processor before adding the other ingredients.

I replied to an earlier post today, and suggested you email the founder of kitchenblessings.com She would more than likely be able to tell you exactly how to make a gluten-free/Dairy free lasagna too.

Another GREAT resource for Gluten Free recipes is glutenfreeda.com

Living gluten-free really means learning how to cook all over again, but once you do, you will love the food!!!!

Happy Happy Birthday celebrations to you AND your son.

p.s. Try not to worry too much about your children facing what you are now. Neither my husband nor I have any family history of Celiac Disease or Hashimoto Thyroiditis (my youngest daughter has this, she's 11) yet both of my children have them...

:rolleyes:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GFinDC Veteran

Hi McPhena,

If you search the site for breakfast ideas, you will find quite a few threads on it.

One I do sometimes is to fry some veggies in a pan and then add a couple eggs, stir. Easy and doesn't take long. Another thing is pre-cooked rice. You can eat it with rice milk and cinnamon and sugar or honey. Zap it in the nuker a couple minutes for hot cereal. Mission corn tortillas are gluten-free and make good roll ups if you warm them first. I know they are processed foods, but they are ok. Have you ever tried eating apples with salt sprinkled on them? You might like them that way.

The idea of starting simple is a real good one. You can always add things slowly and learn your reactions. The thing is some of us have other intolerances besides gluten, and if you don't take the time to identify them, you could be feeling off because of something besides gluten.

ang1e0251 Contributor

of course I will try, I have to. Thank you all so much for this help. Right now I want to know, what would you do about this?? My middle son will turn 10 tomorrow, and he wants Lasagna and Cheesecake for his birthday meal! I think I can make the cheesecake with a premade crust because I'm not going to be eating that anyway, but the lasagna, I can't make a gluten free dairy free lasagna can I?? I guess I won't be eating with my family for my son's birthday, which is a bummer and I feel like I'm grieving over this!!

It's very late in the day for you to convert your lasagne for this occasion. I know you don't like it but just this once you could eat something else. This is only because you are starting your healing today. You can also start to prepare today for future special occasions by looking up how to convert your favorite recipes. Soon you will be able to eat other foods so start getting ready. It's only one meal.

What is a sublingual B12 (methyl type)?? And should I just get b1 and b2 separately or just get a big B vitamin?

I don't know much about the B1 or B2 maybe someone will speak up who knows more. I probably would get a B complex to start plus the B12. A sublingual melts under your tongue and there are two types. It's usually recommended to take the B12 methylcobalamin as it enters the digestive system in a way that is beneficial to our damaged systems,

as for the magnesium, the bottle says a serving size is 3 tablets and that is 400mg However, when I took that, I woke up in the middle of the night every night with my heart racing and it really scared me. So I stopped taking it altogether. Then just 2 days ago I started back up just taking 2 tablets so I guess that is about 266mg a day. I have never had my heart race before and it only happened the 3 nights in a row I took the 400mg of magnesium.

You were right to dial down the dose with that reaction. Stay with what you're taking for now. Each person reacts differently so it's good you're tuned into your reactions like that.

I admit I did not eat as healthy as I could have before I started gluten free. I would make my children eat a lot of fruits and veggies, and I wouldn't eat them! We have started buying 2 bunches of bananas a couple times a week now, because with me actually eating them too, we are going thru them fast. I dont like them plain though. I will eat them in my cereal, or with nutella on them, but I guess I am done with nutella too. I will eat them in a smoothie. I will eat an apple with almond butter but not plain. I do like veggies a lot, I just don't seem to take the time to prepare them for myself. I need to. I really really appreciate this help, I do ang1e.

I'm not suggesting you give up foods you like such as Nutella or cereal forever. Just until you stabilize your symptoms. You'll get used to eating more fruits and vegetables over time just as your children do. You're just getting back to basics for a short time to identify the problems you have and clarify what other sensitivities you have. You have already done that yourself with dairy. You are probably lactose intolerant. But once you heal, you may be able to add some dairy back in. But that's for later.

Ravenswoodglass-thank you for your post too. Maybe I will go ahead and give away the flours and mixes I have. I didn't think it would hurt to just make them for my family but I guess it does. I have a feeling some of my kids are going to end up on this diet too. I have spent 15 years learning how to cook for my husband and family and that is my livelihood you know?? I feel like I have nothing to contribute if I cannot cook for them! And I have to learn how to do it all a new way! I will learn in tho. Thank you so much, everone.

You will learn it and you'll be so good at it, you will never look back! I predict in a year you won't even recognize your old way of cooking!

Archived