ChemistMama

Setback For At-1001

Rate this topic

At-1001 from about.com

In brief, Shire Pharma bought the rights to make and market At-1001 outside the US and Japan, and it gave those rights back to Alba. Keep in mind that on the same day they also gave the rights to another drug back to another company. UNfortunately, it's not uncommon for companies to 'pare' back drugs that don't fit in with their focus; Shire I think is trying to specialize in ADHD meds and drugs for rare illnesses, so a celiac drug would be one of the first to go.

What does this mean? Alba will have to find another company to make and market the drug. Let's hope there's another interested party! I don't know if Alba is making/marketing the drug in the US or if another company bought the rights.

Thoughts?

A conspiracy from the gluten free food industry! :angry:

Well I suppose that leaves us with the worms. :o

Kidding aside,

Should we start a petition through the Celiac/ Gluten intolerance groups for the drug manufacturer? If we make some noise it could the attention back to At1001 for a sale to a company that will manufacture it.

It's hard luck for those outside the US and Japan...I don't know what manufacturer Alba contrated to make the drug for them in the US. Many of these small discovery companies do just that, discover new compounds, and then have to license it to someone else who in turn makes tons of it and manufactures the pills we take.