OliveBranch

Spiced Pecans

Rate this topic

Hi All,

I was trying to come up with more foods to sustain me amidst all my current restrictions, and thought of spiced pecans. I found a recipe at AllRecipes.com and modified it to the following... now I can't stop eating them! Hope the recipe might be of use to some of you--it is really outrageously simple and very festive.

SPICED PECANS

3 cups pecan halves

1 egg white

1/3 cup sugar (though I think it would still be good with considerably less, if you are watching your sugar intake)

1/2 tsp. salt

1 tsp. ground cinnamon

1 tsp. Trader Joe's Pumpkin Pie Spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, lemon peel, cardamom, cloves)

1. Preheat oven to 300 F/175 C

2. Line baking sheet with aluminum foil.

3. Mix sugar, salt, and spices in a small bowl.

4. Beat egg white + 1 tbs water until stiff.

5. Mix in pecans. Add sugar mixture and coat well.

6. Spread pecans out on foil lined sheet; bake for 30-40 minutes, and then transfer to a plate to cool.

I'm going to try your recipe. Mine uses butter so the calories are higher but it is done in the crockpot.

Crock Pot Candied Pecans

16 oz pecan halves

Forgot to mention that you should stir/flip the pecans a couple times while they are in the oven.

Ahorsesoul--your recipe looks wonderful! I will try that for a more decadent version some time as well :D

I'm going to try your recipe. Mine uses butter so the calories are higher but it is done in the crockpot.

Crock Pot Candied Pecans

16 oz pecan halves

I've made sweet pecans or walnuts in my dehydrator. This way they stay raw. Simply take a date or two and whiz them in the food processor with a little water. I have to put a towel around the food processor because the water can squirt out where the pieces connect. Add cinnamon to taste and a dash of salt. I use Real Salt. Soak the nuts in this liquid for about 30 minutes then spread out on dehydrator sheets (mesh with fruit leather sheets underneath if drippy) and dehydrate until crunchy.

You could also bake these in the oven but they wouldn't be raw.