magentarose

Help Understanding Labs

Rate this topic

Sure hate to be a bother, could someone tell me if these tests result are completely negative. My doctor say's they are negative, but I have so many symptoms of celiac and it runs in my family.

Lab- Laboratory Corporation of America

Quantative Immunoglobulin IGA Low 44 Flagged Reference 70-400

Antigliadin IGA Normal 3.0 Reference 0.0-10.0

Antigliadin IGG Normal 5.6 Reference 0.0-10.0

tTransglut IgA Normal 1 Reference 0-3

tTransglut IgG Normal 1 Reference 0-5

ENDOMYS Ab IgA Negative

Pathology Report

Duodenum (Endoscopic Biopsy)

-Chronic Active Duodenitis with Mild Villous Blunting

As far as my doctor is concerned I do not have celiac's. Easy to say when it's not your body hurting. But I would do any thing to be healthier, so I'm going to give the diet a try.

Thanks again,

Jo

I would take your report to a knowledgable Celiac doctor.

You are IgA deficient, which is more common among those with Celiac, and negates your IgA testing. Your biopsy states "mild villous blunting" which is characteristic of Celiac. You have a family history of Celiac.

I would definitely get a second opinion. Look for a support group in your area and ask for recommendations in your area.

I agree...with damage to your villi and family history I'd either get a second opinion or go gluten free without a diagnosis.

There are so many false negatives, it seems that many of us don't test positive or show damage until there is extreme damage if at all.

Good Luck to you!

I would take your report to a knowledgable Celiac doctor.

You are IgA deficient, which is more common among those with Celiac, and negates your IgA testing. Your biopsy states "mild villous blunting" which is characteristic of Celiac. You have a family history of Celiac.

I would definitely get a second opinion. Look for a support group in your area and ask for recommendations in your area.

Thanks, we do have a support group in our area, that is a great idea. Thanks again.

Quantative Immunoglobulin IGA Low 44 Flagged Reference 70-400

This test tells you that you are IgA deficient. Occurs in about 10% of celiacs.

Antigliadin IGA Normal 3.0 Reference 0.0-10.0

Because you are IgA deficient, this test is useless. Results don't mean anything.

Antigliadin IGG Normal 5.6 Reference 0.0-10.0

This test comes out "within standard reference range". There wasn't enough in your blood to test positive.

tTransglut IgA Normal 1 Reference 0-3

Because you are IgA deficient, this test is useless. Results don't mean anything.

tTransglut IgG Normal 1 Reference 0-5

This test comes out "within standard reference range". There wasn't enough in your blood to test positive.

ENDOMYS Ab IgA Negative

Duodenum (Endoscopic Biopsy)

-Chronic Active Duodenitis with Mild Villous Blunting

Something is damaging your intestines. It is *not* clear what. The combination of the two can be caused by H. pylori (the bug that causes most ulcers), amongst other things.

If you had been gluten free, and have other strong reasons to suspect that it could only be gluten intolerance, I would try the diet for two to three months (strictly!) and see how you do. Then challenge with wheat, and see if that causes a recurrence. (This is an optional step, of course! :) )

That said, while you most certainly could still have celiac, or just gluten intolerance, I don't find that your tests scream that you have it. I certainly wouldn't let the doc just say "Oh, you have this and that and you feel like crap. You're fine." You want to get to the root of the problem. But I wouldn't rule out other issues being at play here either. I would certainly, myself, still do the dietary trial.

With the blunting and inflammation found in the endo I would do a trial of the diet.

I think the villi blunting warrants diet trial but in the meantime, getting the second opinion from a recommended expert is a good idea if you feel you need a secure dx. With your family history and blunted villi, a positive dietary response would be a clincher, IMO.