homemaker

Diamond Walnuts...i Feel So Stupid!

Rate this topic

My goodness....you think I would read labels...boy I am new at this...

I have been nibbling on nuts because I have been so hungry and

wondering why my stomach is off...

Well right there on the back was the words Processed in a facility that has wheat

and tons of other allergens...duh :ph34r:

I guess I am still learning

I think Fisher Nuts are ok....?????

I guess those gluten-free Chocolate Cookies I just baked are all my husbands now? :rolleyes:

Just because something is processes in a facility with wheat, does not necessarily mean that they are not gluten free. More often than not, it's a CYA statement.

Phew...that's a relief....maybe it is just the fiber in the nuts...

I know that Fisher Nuts do not have that statement on their package...

Now, some who are super sensitive may react to the possible cross contamination. It's not something that I worry about too much.

My goodness....you think I would read labels...boy I am new at this...

I have been nibbling on nuts because I have been so hungry and

wondering why my stomach is off...

Well right there on the back was the words Processed in a facility that has wheat

and tons of other allergens...duh :ph34r:

I guess I am still learning

I think Fisher Nuts are ok....?????

I guess those gluten-free Chocolate Cookies I just baked are all my husbands now? :rolleyes:

Those got me last year <_< .....they had been fine until they started making the flavored walnuts and processing them on the same lines. I never thought to re-read the bag, and meanwhile was getting sicker and sicker. Finally I went through everything with a fine tooth comb and lo and behold I saw the wheat warning on the bag.

I had been using them long enough that my liver enzymes went back up (routine bloodwork at the time). :angry:

I don't know if you have access to a Kroger, but in mine they carry walnuts and almonds in the produce dept by Poindexter Nut Company. Those are processed in a gluten-free facility and states it on the bag.

Hope you feel better soon ;)

http://www.diamondnuts.com/products/faq/index.php#q_7

7) Are Diamond products gluten free?

All Diamond-branded nut products are gluten free.

Our Diamond of California bread products, however, are made with flour, which contains gluten.

Within the Emerald Premium Snack line, four products contain gluten. They are Emerald Honey Dijon Glazed Walnuts 'n Cashews, Emerald Backyard Grill Glazed Walnuts 'n Almonds, Emerald Honey Roasted Peanuts, and Emerald Dry Roasted Walnuts.

Diamond adheres to superior Good Food Manufacturing Practices, and all processing lines are thoroughly cleaned between packaging runs of the different Emerald products. However, there is no way to be absolutely certain that our Emerald products have not come in contact with gluten. Because of Diamond Food's concern for those who have severe allergies, we want our consumers to be fully informed so that they can make the appropriate choices regarding using our products.

Diamond adheres to superior Good Food Manufacturing Practices, and all processing lines are thoroughly cleaned between packaging runs of the different Emerald products. However, there is no way to be absolutely certain that our Emerald products have not come in contact with gluten. Because of Diamond Food's concern for those who have severe allergies, we want our consumers to be fully informed so that they can make the appropriate choices regarding using our products.

Yep--that's what I was told over the phone--that and the Shelled Walnuts are processed on the same lines as the flavored (Emerald)ones. There was enough of a trace on them to cause me to react. It's not unusual, though since I almost always react to things processed on the same lines.

Wish it were not so, but it is what it is.....

If I buy a canister of cashews...I snack and snack...and snack...annnnd snack some more. Then I'm paying for it later. I can never eat nuts in moderation.