Stella3

Thanksgiving Turkey?

Rate this topic

I am very new to the gluten-free lifestyle and this will be my first gluten-free Thanksgiving, im a little scared. I have been avoiding alot of meat in my diet, just because it is hard for me to find poultry and such that has not been injected with gluten containing broth. I know that the glutenated broth is especially put into whole chickens and turkeys. I was wondering if anyone knew of any stores or brands that have gluten free turkeys. Any suggestions on what do you do for your thanksgiving turkey would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

I usually buy an organic one that has no broth added. One thing you might want to do is write down the names of a few turkeys that are available at your local grocers along with a phone number or look them up on the web. Then call or email and ask the companies. Many will be safe but it is wise to check as not all are.

I just went to the Jennie O Turkey Website and this is what they had listed as Gluten Free Products

Jennie-O Turkey Store

I am very new to the gluten-free lifestyle and this will be my first gluten-free Thanksgiving, im a little scared. I have been avoiding alot of meat in my diet, just because it is hard for me to find poultry and such that has not been injected with gluten containing broth. I know that the glutenated broth is especially put into whole chickens and turkeys. I was wondering if anyone knew of any stores or brands that have gluten free turkeys. Any suggestions on what do you do for your thanksgiving turkey would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Sorry, but you are mistaken. In the U.S., the broth or flavorings you see in poultry either never or almost never contain gluten. Just because it says broth doesn't mean it has gluten. Usually the broth is from rosemary or just from the meat itself. The USDA requires that any grain added to a meat be listed, and this includes barley. The allergen law, of course, requires that wheat be listed.

In 8 years, I have yet to find a turkey that has gluten unless it has been stuffed. Over the years I've asked those who seem paranoid about turkey to please list one that definitely has gluten. My list of turkeys with gluten remains at zero.

richard

You may also want to check out this link to an article here that Scott posted for us last year.

"Tips for a Gluten-Free Thanksgiving and Safe Holiday Season"

http://www.celiac.com/articles/21672/1/Tip...ason/Page1.html

Always, I repeat ALWAYS read the label. I bought a Jennie O Premuim turkey when I started this thinking turkey is safe, and got the shock of my life when I got home. WHO puts wheat flour in their turkey??? AND WHY????? Needless to say I now read everything, even if I've bought it in the past, you never know when a product will change.

I just don't get why they put wheat flour in a turkey? At first I thought okay theres a gravy packet in it and I can just throw that out, Wrong its in the turkey itself, no gravy packet in Jennie O premuims. My husband asked is it enough to make me sick again? And I said it doesn't say how much, just wheat flour, do you really want to find out by eating it? His response was NO, I Never want to be that sick again that I end up in the hospital!

So for Thanksgiving we found a range free organic turkey and cooked that. It was fabulous!!!

And no worries!

New_to_This,

According to the Jennie-O website , the Jennie-O premium turkey does indeed contain a gravy packet that has gluten. In fact, all of their whole birds and oven-ready birds have gravy packets.

http://www.jennieo.com/products/WholeBirds/PremiumBastedYoungTurkey.aspx

richard

New_to_This,

According to the Jennie-O website , the Jennie-O premium turkey does indeed contain a gravy packet that has gluten. In fact, all of their whole birds and oven-ready birds have gravy packets.

http://www.jennieo.com/products/WholeBirds/PremiumBastedYoungTurkey.aspx

richard

No gravy packet in this turkey, and from what I've read only there turkey parts, ex. thighs, drummys etc are not basted. I thought it was the gravy packet at first to, but there wasn't one in it and I gave the others away with a request to tell me if they had a gravy packet in them. So far of the two given away the answer was no gravy packet. So I must assume it was the basting.