Rate this topic

Hi all...I have a quick question. I had labs done about 6 months ago that came back inconclusive for celiac. I have continued to have a lot of gluten sensitivity/intolerance symptoms that are getting worse. Will it hurt me to eat a gluten free diet if I'm not truly gluten sensitive/intolerant?

Hi all...I have a quick question. I had labs done about 6 months ago that came back inconclusive for celiac. I have continued to have a lot of gluten sensitivity/intolerance symptoms that are getting worse. Will it hurt me to eat a gluten free diet if I'm not truly gluten sensitive/intolerant?

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

The short answer is "No". A gluten-free diet never hurt anyone. Many people who test negative, inconclusive, borderline, etc., for celiac are in fact gluten intolerant/sensitive. It is possible to have non-celiac gluten intolerance. There is some discussion as to whether these people are just not sick enough to show up as celiac, although there have been genes identified as being associated with gluten sensitivity but not celiac. If you can't get a celiac diagnosis, there is no harm in trying the diet and see if it works for you. But it will only work if you are as strict with it as if you were diagnosed celiac. No cheating!! Good luck and I hope it works for you.

I agree, just go on the diet and it will quickly be clear to you the benefits. You have definate symptoms that should respond if gluten is your problem. That's exactly what I did. I started the diet and never looked back.