This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Breaded Chicken

ohmyheavenwhy

ohmyheavenwhy Newbie

to be clear, if i were to have baked breaded chicken and took off the skin, would that be at all gluten free?

i have a tough time with my family, they don't really appreciate that i am on a gluten-free diet which means no gluten....... this being served tonight, i didn't say anything about it or anything. i don't expect them to make me food specially, i just won't eat the gluten stuff--the only thing i would expect is them to leave me alone about it! so i filled up on the veggies that i could have (and ate something else later). but my dad & stepmom still insisted that i eat the chicken. i didn't, but i just want to make sure i'm not crazy....

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Juliebove Rising Star
to be clear, if i were to have baked breaded chicken and took off the skin, would that be at all gluten free?

i have a tough time with my family, they don't really appreciate that i am on a gluten-free diet which means no gluten....... this being served tonight, i didn't say anything about it or anything. i don't expect them to make me food specially, i just won't eat the gluten stuff--the only thing i would expect is them to leave me alone about it! so i filled up on the veggies that i could have (and ate something else later). but my dad & stepmom still insisted that i eat the chicken. i didn't, but i just want to make sure i'm not crazy....

That would not be gluten free by any stretch of the imagination. Not only that, but you shouldn't use the same pans that have been used for gluten containing items, unless perhaps your food is on foil.

I'm sorry you're having such problems with your dad and stepmom. Sounds to me like nothing in your kitchen would be safe for you to eat if they are this clueless.

Sadly, I have relatives who are the same way. I don't live with them, but I get tired of their comments. Things like how a little bit won't kill her (my daughter) or that cross contamination doesn't matter.

AKcollegestudent Apprentice

Yeah, no way in hells. I can't even eat something that has been on the same *plate* as a couple of crumbs. The idea of removing the breaded skin, while ingenious, makes me laugh--you'd still be scattering the bread crumbs all over the meat. And the fact is that the gluten molecules have already made themselves at home on that piece of chicken--they're everywhere.

It sounds like you're not getting much support from your family; maybe you could talk it over with them? Tell them that you're willing to buy and make your own food? The rule in our house (when I'm home) is that I keep a couple of pans that I keep scoured and gluten, dairy, and soy free. I make my food; my parents make theirs. If I want something that they're making, we discuss how to make it me-safe. If they want something I'm making, they wash their hands before using my utensils. And most of the stuff I make is from my portion of the grocery shopping. (We all take turns buying ingredients we think are necessary for survival.)

momxyz Contributor

I am really sorry to hear your parents aren't more supportive.

I don't know if this suggestion will be helpful or not but....

Breaded chicken breast fillets are one of my daughters favorite foods, and something my mother-in-law (who loves to cook for us) makes frequently. So what I did is make my own gluten free bread crumbs, and supplied Grandma with them. Once she realized they smelled as good and worked just as well as her standard Progresso bread crumb she was more than happy to use them.

Last night my husband and I were making baked scallops (with bread crumb). He didn't want to use "my" bread crumbs, so he made two small pans. One for me with the gluten free crumbs, and one for him with Progresso. When all was said and done, he liked the scallops in my pan better!

I have tried the ready-made gluten free bread crumbs, and they're ok, but if you want to impress upon your family that using a gluten free bread crumb would not be a sacrifice for them, go the extra mile and make your own. They are much better!

What I did is purchase a loaf of gluten free bread. I have used both Kinnickinicks and EnerG (liked the first one better). I washed a baking sheet very thoroughly, then buttered the pan. I laid the bread slices out on the pan and put them into a 350 degree oven. When the bottom side was golden, I flipped the slices over, and waited till the other side was golden brown. I can't remember how long this took - it was over 5 minutes but under 10 per side.

When the slices were cool, I pulerized them - I have used both a food processor and blender for this purpose. The bread crumbs were then lightly seasoned with dried parsley and basil.

You could do just 6 slices for a small quantity, but doing a whole loaf - though a bit of a project - would give you a small jars worth and would be more convenient for your family to cook with.

good luck, and let us know how things continue to go for you.

Swimmr Contributor

Sorry you have little support...it's terribly hard living with someone who either doesn't respect your choice of diet whether it be intolerance or just to eliminate gluten, or doesn't care.

Lack of education on the subject, I regret to say, leads people to willingly be ignorant on the subject. Ignore and deny is all they do.

Good luck, and how bout maybe asking to cook your own meal next time (if possible in a new pan)? That way maybe they might learn a thing or two and become a little more supportive. Also going gluten free would be beneficial for everyone.

Northern Celiac Newbie

You're not crazy. If the chicken is breaded it is glutened and WILL make you sick. If you are Celiac you CANNOT eat gluten in any form. Breadcrumbs are still bread and it will make you sick.Get your parents some liturature about celiac disease to read.The gluten free bible is a good one. You need to educate them

wschmucks Contributor

i don't expect them to make me food specially, i just won't eat the gluten stuff--the only thing i would expect is them to leave me alone about it! so i filled up on the veggies that i could have (and ate something else later). but my dad & stepmom still insisted that i eat the chicken. i didn't, but i just want to make sure i'm not crazy....

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

momxyz Contributor

ohmyheavenwhy,

you didn't tell us, do you have a confirmed diagnosis? Did you go to a physician and have testing done?

This is not intended as a criticism. There are lots of us on this board - myself included - who simply studied our problems and reached the conclusion that gluten could be a contributing factor, and when we didn't ingest gluten, things got better. 2+2 does equal 4 after all.

But, if you don't have an "official" diagnosis, this may explain why your family is less receptive to your needs. Is this fair, is it good? No way. But it is what it is. Like the previous poster suggested, try sit down with them, explain what you've learned and how this lifestyle helps you.

They may not buy in totally, in which case you are still responsible for your own good health. Tell them you are willing to prepare foods on your own, that you can substitue when they want to serve something you can't eat. And then make good on that and do it. If they see you making the effort, they may be at least willing to respect what you are doing, even if they don't fully understand the need.

I really feel for you and am sending a cyber hug. I just got done cooking a bunch of things ahead for the week, so my own daughter has options she likes and knows are healthy and safe for her. My husband is normally the chief cook, and although he has been really great and mostly prepares gluten free meals, he still will want to cook a meal sometimes that my daughter can't eat. So if we have alternatives prepared ahead, she can just have those instead. Plus she has stuff she can take to school for lunch, because there are not a lot of alternatives for her in the cafeteria.

I made breaded (gluten free) oven baked chicken cutlets tonite. Very easy to prepare. I will share the method for preparing if you wish.

haleym Contributor

Hey there!

So sorry to hear that you have so little support. My mom is great... she goes out of her way to make sure that I can have options. I am single and live on my own, but we went on a family vacation together and I brought my own gluten-free hotdog and hamburger buns (we went to an Oktoberfest celebration, lots of bratwurst and hamburgers, which I checked and were fine). When I ordered my bratwurst ''commando style'', she explained that I ''have an allergy''... she's my hero.

One thing that would be great for you to do is really strengthen your own resolve to be gluten free, since it has helped you. It took me 2 weeks to get the nerve to have a candid discussion with my folks, but they totally respect me now, and even look out for me. My mom is the gluten-police now, as she says.

If you dont have a full-on ''medical'' (ha, so called medical!) diagnosis it can be challenging to have the self confidence to tell people you have a problem, so work on building your own self confidence also if that is the case. I lost my health insurance before I could follow thorough and get additional testing, and since Ive had a great response to the diet I dont plan on getting additional testing either because gluten IS the problem. I sometimes lapse in my own self confidence to tell people that I am gluten-intolerant, and I am finding that being direct is the key to avoiding misunderstandings.

So, in short, be confident and direct with them. The gluten intolerance group has information you can print out and give to your folks that talks about both celiac disease AND gluten intolerances.

Oh yeah... save yourself the discomfort and pass on the chicken! ;)

Switch2GF Rookie
One thing that would be great for you to do is really strengthen your own resolve to be gluten free, since it has helped you. It took me 2 weeks to get the nerve to have a candid discussion with my folks, but they totally respect me now, and even look out for me. My mom is the gluten-police now, as she says.

Great point! I really have been stressing this recently.

When I was first diagnosed, I cheated a lot. Therefore my friends and family knew I would cheat and wouldn't make special accommodations for me. I DIDN'T TAKE IT SERIOUSLY, SO NEITHER DID THEY.

When I decided to go 100% gluten-free, it took months to get everyone on board. For a while, I would still hear things from them like, "a little bit won't hurt you" or "the ___ in this ___, may not be gluten free" or "you can just cut the crust off this pie."

It took a while of me showing them that I was 100%, and not eating their food, until they started substituting ingredients and warning me of what I really can't eat.

Show everyone you are serious, and they will go out of their way.

Sorry to make this longer, but I have another point... lol

YES, you will seem like you are inconveniencing them, but you have to get over that and so will they. If they understand how serious it is for you to have "poison" then they really won't see it as a burden, and they will want to help you. My friends no longer only buy beer, they also get something everyone(me included) can drink. My friends and family now take me seriously, and I don't get the impression they feel burdened by my needs.

• 1 month later...
Lanie940 Newbie
Sorry you have little support...it's terribly hard living with someone who either doesn't respect your choice of diet whether it be intolerance or just to eliminate gluten, or doesn't care.

Lack of education on the subject, I regret to say, leads people to willingly be ignorant on the subject. Ignore and deny is all they do.

Good luck, and how bout maybe asking to cook your own meal next time (if possible in a new pan)? That way maybe they might learn a thing or two and become a little more supportive. Also going gluten free would be beneficial for everyone.

I use cornflake crumbs and cornstarch and some salt and pepper. I roll my chicken in it and use olive oil of corn oil I read all my labels. i make it for all of us that way.

mysecretcurse Contributor

This is more than just not being supportive. If they are insisting that you eat gluten when you are intolerant to it they are essentially poisoning you. That is ABUSE. I missed how old you are, but if possible get the hell out of there.

Jean'sBrainonGluten Newbie

It's important to have the strongest diagnosis you can if possible. I know it's hard to be assertive for yourself but you have to do it.

I have posted some photos of my MRI on my facebook page but I can also send them to you. The celiac white matter lesions are what happens to the brain of someone who repeatedly has 'just a little'. If they're okay with giving you symptoms like epilepsy or MS, or causing you to risk colon cancer like my mom and uncle died of then you just need to get them out of your life.

lizard00 Enthusiast

Have you been gluten-free for a long time? If not, maybe they just don't fully understand.

My mom, who is one of my biggest supporters, suggested that I eat the meat off a sandwich early on. She didn't know, it was pretty new to her and I was in the middle of a melt down because there was nothing else to eat at a conference of 3000 people. Like I said, it was early on, while I was still adjusting.

You are right, taking the skin off wouldn't make it any safer to eat. If this happens on a couple of occasions, hopefully your family will start to understand how important it is to avoid contamination. Maybe a quick explanation of why would be helpful.

If you've been gluten-free for a long time, and your parents just aren't supportive, then that just sucks. :(

Archived