nomad4life

Negative Enterolab Testing Results

Rate this topic

It seems like every single person who sends samples to Enterolab gets a positive result on something. Does anyone know of anyone who has gotten a completely negative result from them? It seems a little strange that they find something in every single person they test.

Just curious

If you use the search function you'll discover that this topic has come up before, and yes, people do test negative.

Yes there are folks that have negative results. There have been a few that have posted on the board especially after testing whole familys. Most folks that have the testing done have symptoms that are celiac symptoms, most folks don't get the test done if they are symptom free. So the number of positives ourweigh the number of negatives. Celiac is rampant in the US and with so many doctors considering the blood tests that have high rates of false negatives to be conculusive and looking no farther for some of us it is the best way left to be certain that it is celiac or gluten intolerance causeing the issues. While Enterolab does not diagnose celiac it can tell you if the antibodies are present which is very important. Your body does not make antibodies to stuff that is supposed to be in your system.

I would imagine that the high number of people diagnosed positive through Enterolab is because people with no symptoms aren't likely to send for a $400 test. Probably, nearly all, bar a few, order the test because they are sick and have researched and found that their symptoms match those of gluten intolerance and are curious to know if it truly is the problem. They then test positive because gluten is the problem, just as they suspected. It also helps to have something concrete telling you gluten is making you sick.

^^ What they said :)

Who would spend $400 on a test 'just because'? Not me. Unless you have that kind of money, of course :D

Clearly, those who go through Enterolab have a sneaking suspicion that is what is making them sick. I was one of those people. I was confident even before using Enterolab that I had a problem with gluten because I started the diet on my own - and had amazing results. My gastro refused to listen to me, so it was nice to see some validation on paper for what I was doing.

Celiac Disease and Gluten Intolerance are medically proven to be on the rise. Because of this, I don't find the results surprising at all.

As the only person with symptoms in my family at the time, I was surprised when I came up negative but my husband and daughter were both positive with Enterolab (I'm the one with the family history, and all the health issues). They are both gluten free now, and do have symptoms when they have it but it was frustrating trying to convince them that the tests were legit when mine was negative.

My mom got a DNA test done that showed she carries two genes, the results explaned that all her children would have at least one. I know that it doesn't mean I'll automatically have Celiac but it's nice to know that there's some paperwork out there somewhere that says that maybe there is a reason I'm so sick.