soulcurrent

Confused About Flour..

Rate this topic

Several recipes from the web and posts here have mentioned used multiple kinds of flours. I'm not much of a baker unless it comes in a box with all the ingredients I needed, but I'm really hoping to make this pumpkin cake for Thanksgiving. Are there any tips I should know, or suggestions for things to change?

In one of the notes under her recipe she says ... "For a change of pace I sometimes use Pamela's Ultimate Baking & Pancake Mix as my flour mix (and leave out the baking soda, powder)." You could try using this if you don't want to mix up your own flours. I have tried some of her recipes and they have all been wonderful!

Several recipes from the web and posts here have mentioned used multiple kinds of flours. I'm not much of a baker unless it comes in a box with all the ingredients I needed, but I'm really hoping to make this pumpkin cake for Thanksgiving. Are there any tips I should know, or suggestions for things to change?

While I am no baker supreme, I am getting the hang of gluten free flours (finally)! Glluten free flours seldom work well on their own. Generally, you use at least one starch (potato, corn, tapioca--sometimes all three), an all purpose flour like brown or white rice flour, and since all those have very little nutrition, something like sorghum, buckwheat, quinoa, amaranth to give some body, protein and texture. If Elama says she sometimes uses Pamela's mix in this recipe, it would seem like it is fairly forgiving and you shouldn't have too much problem with it. With gluten free flours carefully follow instructions for xanthan/guar gum, baking powder and baking soda, because it is important to get these proportions right to get a good texture and rise. Good luck with your cake.

I'd just use Pamela's mix for it. I've used it for regular recipes like this and it's always been fine. Going to copy the recipe for my Thanksgiving Notebook. tfs

In one of the notes under her recipe she says ... "For a change of pace I sometimes use Pamela's Ultimate Baking & Pancake Mix as my flour mix (and leave out the baking soda, powder)." You could try using this if you don't want to mix up your own flours. I have tried some of her recipes and they have all been wonderful!

I saw that, just wanted to get more opinions on it.

While I am no baker supreme, I am getting the hang of gluten free flours (finally)! Glluten free flours seldom work well on their own. Generally, you use at least one starch (potato, corn, tapioca--sometimes all three), an all purpose flour like brown or white rice flour, and since all those have very little nutrition, something like sorghum, buckwheat, quinoa, amaranth to give some body, protein and texture. If Elama says she sometimes uses Pamela's mix in this recipe, it would seem like it is fairly forgiving and you shouldn't have too much problem with it. With gluten free flours carefully follow instructions for xanthan/guar gum, baking powder and baking soda, because it is important to get these proportions right to get a good texture and rise. Good luck with your cake.

Man that sounds really complicated. It probably really isn't, I just generally don't like cooking so adding the powdered cheese mix to the macaroni seems complicated.