This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Not Impressed With Pamela's Chocolate Chip Cookies

Glamour

Glamour Explorer

Small cookies in bag. Also expensive.

Trader Joes Ginger Snaps are better and $1.99

I have noticed gluten-free baked goods taste gritty and very sugary.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

RideAllWays Enthusiast

These are the best cookies ever...all of my gluten-eating friends loved them, and were shocked to ehar they were gluten-free!

1 cup Peanut Butter

1 cup Brown Sugar

1 egg

1 tsp baking soda

1 cup chocolate chips, nuts, m&m's...

Mix together, put in small-ish balls on a baking sheet, bake at 350*F for 9-11 minutes. So quick and so good!

Glamour Explorer

Darn...I am very allergic to peanuts and pbutter.

PhillyCeliacTriathlete Newbie

I totally disagree. The availability, pricing taste and fat content is very impressive for Pamela's Mini Choc Chip Cookies. If you are referring to the large rectangular box on the other hand, I must state I find them dry, crumbly and lacking much flavor.

The good thing is Pamela's is available at many high end groceries these days and that alone is rewarding for those of us wanting a chocolate gluten-free treat nearly anywhere!

John

PhillyCeliacTriathlete Newbie
These are the best cookies ever...all of my gluten-eating friends loved them, and were shocked to ehar they were gluten-free!

1 cup Peanut Butter

1 cup Brown Sugar

1 egg

1 tsp baking soda

1 cup chocolate chips, nuts, m&m's...

Mix together, put in small-ish balls on a baking sheet, bake at 350*F for 9-11 minutes. So quick and so good!

People eat M&M's out of choice? That must be the WORST cheapest chocolate on earth. I suggest using anything else made of choc except that candy-ized chocolate they try to pass off as chocolate.

Maggie Mermaid Apprentice
Darn...I am very allergic to peanuts and pbutter.

How about cashews & cashew butter or sunflower seed butter? Just a thought.

Darn210 Enthusiast
I totally disagree. The availability, pricing taste and fat content is very impressive for Pamela's Mini Choc Chip Cookies. If you are referring to the large rectangular box on the other hand, I must state I find them dry, crumbly and lacking much flavor.

The good thing is Pamela's is available at many high end groceries these days and that alone is rewarding for those of us wanting a chocolate gluten-free treat nearly anywhere!

John

Agreed!!! . . . with your whole post.

Just like with the gluten stuff . . . gluten free mixes (like the Betty Crocker choc chip cookie mix) taste better than the already made cookies. Likewise, all-the-way-home-made are better than the cookie mixes. Gluten-free cookies are much easier to make (ie, resulting in a good end product) than gluten free bread. It's a great place to "start" with the gluten free baking.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

purple Community Regular

I bought Pam's cookies only once for a pie crust, worked great. But premade are expensive. Here is my favorite choc. chip cookie recipe:

Open Original Shared Link

The only thing I do differently is to use sorghum mix instead of the rice flour mix.

IMO, these taste the closest to gluten cookies. And I stopped using parchment paper.

P.C.T. but M&M's are pretty in cookies, yeah I know, full of artificial junk...I use semisweet chips and M&M's only on occasion.

Glamour Explorer

I guess it is a matter of opinion. Good that there is even an option, I guess. I would rather just have some good quality chocolate bar.

I have not seen the Betty Crocker mixes in any of the stores I shop.

I am really more concerned with finding real main meal food, first. I just thought a snack would be nice.

I tried one again. Just OK, for me.

I do think there are decent chips and pretzels, cracker snacks.

soulcurrent Explorer
People eat M&M's out of choice? That must be the WORST cheapest chocolate on earth. I suggest using anything else made of choc except that candy-ized chocolate they try to pass off as chocolate.

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

I *love* M&Ms!!

And I'm definitely (probably anyway) going to try that recipe.

taweavmo3 Enthusiast

I'm not a big fan of those either. I really haven't found many packaged cookies I like. Kinnikinnick K-Toos are like oreos, I do like those. And the Kinnikinnick chocolate chip cookies are a bit like Chips Ahoy, but smaller. Also, the Enjoy Life snickerdoodles are okay...not spectacular, but okay.

I used to never cook, and the biggest blessing to come out of Celiac has been learning to bake. I've tried several cookbooks, with okay results. But the best in my opinion is Baking Classics by Annelise Roberts. She has one mix for her baked goods, which makes things easy. I thought I had made good chocolate chip cookies until I tried her recipe.....really, really good stuff. And cupcakes....I think they are the greatest food on earth :D . Little bites of heaven, I try to make them often to always have a treat on hand (and loads of homemade frosting, yum).

The gluten free palate seems so varied, some people love certain products, and some hate them. Keep trying...there are some good things out there!

Archived