This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

All A's And One B This Year!

minniejack

minniejack Contributor

It's been one year since God changed our lives with the gluten free message and my son's report card relects his new personality (or should I say his old personality that was lost??)

Last year his 7th grade year was full of tears and his teachers had already pegged him as a trouble maker and no matter what he did he couldn't bring some of his grades up beyond C's. He'd been having problems for years, but 7th grade was full of vomiting issues, too.

After the miracle, my son had a few accidental glutenings that didn't help with his attitude and brain fog. It's basically taken this whole year to finally have him back to normal. Not to say that WE didn't see an improvement immediately, but sometimes once certain teachers believe bad things about your child, their attitudes cannot be changed. :angry:

This year new teachers and no brain fog or ADHD or any of the other problems he had. All honors classes. Yippee!!!

We are very vigilante about what restaurants we visit and what he has, including limiting sulfites.

Yippee!!! Yippee!! Yippee!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

EmilyR83 Rookie

That is so great!!!

missy'smom Collaborator
It's been one year since God changed our lives with the gluten free message and my son's report card relects his new personality (or should I say his old personality that was lost??)

Last year his 7th grade year was full of tears and his teachers had already pegged him as a trouble maker and no matter what he did he couldn't bring some of his grades up beyond C's. He'd been having problems for years, but 7th grade was full of vomiting issues, too.

After the miracle, my son had a few accidental glutenings that didn't help with his attitude and brain fog. It's basically taken this whole year to finally have him back to normal. Not to say that WE didn't see an improvement immediately, but sometimes once certain teachers believe bad things about your child, their attitudes cannot be changed. :angry:

This year new teachers and no brain fog or ADHD or any of the other problems he had. All honors classes. Yippee!!!

We are very vigilante about what restaurants we visit and what he has, including limiting sulfites.

Yippee!!! Yippee!! Yippee!!

That's great. As a mom with an ADHD kiddo, I can imagine what a victory that is! We're still working on it. This is a very good reminder for me to be patient and give it time! My kiddo didn't have obvious debilitating symptoms so I tend to think that he didn't need time to heal as much as I did but who knows if or how much healing needs to be done and he hasn't been gluten-free for a whole year yet. I hear ya about the teachers. :angry::( Is he just gluten-free or have you found eliminating other things made a difference too?

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast

Please tell your son that I am very proud of his grades and his dedication to eating gluten free! (and that he has a great parent)

minniejack Contributor

thanks everyone

I found at the beginning, he needed to eliminate milk products. Took about 3 months.

We've also discovered that pop and other high sulfite foods give him problems. Apple Cider, grape juice and apple juice--EEKS! :o We never were big soda drinkers except when we went out for our weekly restaurant splurge. We still go out once a week, but limit him to one pop. On his b-day, we went to PFChangs in Pittsburgh, and he had several glasses along with Mushi Pork--lot's of sulfites and ended up basically arguing with EVERYBODY and sleeping for several days. Different than when he's glutened.

None of the rest of us had problems, so I think it was just too many sulfites.

When he starts acting the fool after too many sulfites, I make him get an Epsom Salt bath and that helps. My big splurge is Fiji water that I bought when Obama was sworn in to get a 44% discount--making it about 50 cents a bottle and equal to what a juice would cost but helps keep his system running better.

Archived