mushroom

Anyone Use Bette Hagman's Recipes?

Rate this topic

Since I have had to eliminate potato starch from baking I have been severely limited in recipes or trying to find a substitute/replacement for potato starch because so many recipes say to use potato starch, tapioca starch AND corn starch, meaning that all have different properties. Bette Hagman has a lot of flour mixes which exclude potato starch, but in each of her mixes you have to add egg replacer (yes, she uses eggs as well, so obviously the egg replacer addition, although small, makes a difference to the mix). So what is in egg replacer?? The #1 ingredient is potato starch!! It also contains citric acid. So now my question is, how do I replace the egg replacer? :P:o Can anyone help??

Maybe you could try some of the SCD recipes??? I was talking to a mom last night at my son's baseball game (she had gluten-free pretzels, and I pretty much ambushed her, lol) her son is on SCD, and she said the baked goods are really tasty. Most of them just involve almond flour, honey, and a few other simple ingredients.

The almond flour is a bit pricey, but since you aren't adding any other type of flour, or pricey xanthan gum, it probably comes out the same or cheaper.

Other than that, I've got nothin'!! Sorry! I had more luck with Annelise Roberts recipes...her recipes are simple, no egg replacer and no bean flours, & they are super tasty. But her flour mix also calls for potato starch flour....if you could sub that with cornstarch you might have some luck. Hopefully someone else will chime in here! Good luck.

You could probably replace the egg replacer with ground flax seed, like you can replace real eggs with ground flax and water - look online. You might also want to experiment with a recipe or two to see if leaving out the egg replacer matters. If it doesn't work, you can always break the bread down into crumbs and try again. Bette Hagman's recipes are okay, but they were some of the earlier recipes out there and some of the newer cookbooks might have some better ideas. Her recipes mostly work for me, sometimes not, and a few have mistakes in them, but I found a few gems that have become my standards.

Ground flax seed!!! (slaps forehead) Now how come I didn't think of that? Thanks!! :D