sunnybabi1986

Smart Balance Omega Non-stick Cooking Spray

Rate this topic

Before going gluten-free, I used Smart Balance Omega Non-Stick Cooking Spray, but when I was cleaning out my cabinets, I noticed that grain alcohol is listed as one of the ingredients. I did some searches online and on this site, but couldn't find anything definitive as to whether or not grain alcohol is safe for people with gluten intolerance. Do any of you know if it's safe or not? Thanks!

Janie

The Canadian Celiac Association says it is safe -- any "hard" or distilled alcohol is gluten-free because the gluten cannot make it through the distillation process.

Some people still react to it though because they have a wheat allergy (either in addition to, or as opposed to, celiac disease) or are extremely sensitive.

If you're new to the diet, you may want to stick with something you know 100% is gluten-free and then experiment with the cooking spray once you've had a lot of time to heal. Perhaps on a weekend where it may interfere with your life less if you do happen to react.

Maybe someone else can provide a better answer for you, but that's the limit of my knowledge on the subject :)

Jillian

Before going gluten-free, I used Smart Balance Omega Non-Stick Cooking Spray, but when I was cleaning out my cabinets, I noticed that grain alcohol is listed as one of the ingredients. I did some searches online and on this site, but couldn't find anything definitive as to whether or not grain alcohol is safe for people with gluten intolerance. Do any of you know if it's safe or not? Thanks!

Janie

Janie

I have been told no...because my question dealt with everclear :rolleyes: and everclear is made from grains. I don't know how reliable that source is.

I'm sure someone can shed some light.

here is a thread about grain alcohols here on the board

I just found this for ya! It deals with alcoholic beverages, but none-the-less still made from a grain alcohol...

There's plenty of gluten-free alcohol that's safe for people with celiac disease. Celiacs used to be told to avoid all grain alcohols -- for example, vodka, whiskey, rye whiskey, scotch -- but now the prevailing opinion is this:

Grain alcohols are safe for celiacs because gluten doesn't survive the distillation process.

(Distillation is the process of purifying a liquid, first by heating it so that it vaporizes and then by cooling and condensing the vapor and collecting the resulting liquid.) An important exception is beer, which is not usually gluten free, because it's made from barley and is not distilled. In the past few years, gluten-free beers have come on the market, which has been a great breakthrough for celiacs.

The Canadian Celiac Association, for example, says "Distilled alcoholic beverages such as gin, vodka, scotch whisky and rye whiskey are made from the fermentation of wheat, barley or rye. Since they are distilled, they do not contain prolamins [a component of the gluten protein] and are allowed unless otherwise contraindicated. Beer and ale, usually made from barley, may contain 1 to 2 mg of prolamins per pint (570 mL) and therefore is not allowed."

The Celiac Disease Awareness Campaign of the National Institutes of Health also agrees that "a cocktail made with distilled alcohol is safe" for people with celiac disease.

Distilled alcholic beverages with added flavoring are not necessarily gluten-free. You'll have to check with the manufacturer.

Many people with celiac disease nevertheless react badly to grain alcohols and prefer to avoid them. These individuals can still have tequila (made from the agave cactus), rum (from sugar cane), vodka made from potato or corn, and wine or champagne -- as long as there are no added flavorings.

What kind of cooking spray do you guys use?
PAM Original.