Glamour

Blue Diamond Almond Cheese Thins Crackers

Rate this topic

I am going to quit eating those.

Umm, could you provide a little more detail? Not sure at all what you're saying.

richard

This is old news. People say that there is a CC issue with Blue Diamond rice crackers, however, they're supported by the Celiac Disease Foundation, which if they weren't considered gluten free, they wouldn't have that stamp of approval on it. I know these bother some people...but they've always helped me out when I needed a quick fix!

They have never bothered me gluten-wise, BUT they caused a little cut on my gums that hurt so bad :(

Well, they post 20 ppm right on the package and I read highly sensitive folks might react over 10ppm.

I am just getting started gluten-free and have a lot of rash so I am going to give my body as much break as possible. Some have recommeded that we are more sensitive to minute amounts of gluten in the beginning of going gluten-free.

It might be old news to some, but almost 4 weeks into gluten-free and still reacting, I just became aware of this 20ppm issue.

I'd be curious what levels they actually get, because there a good chance it's not as high as 20. The statement refers to the fact that the FDA likely will adopt 20 ppm as the gluten-free level.

Last time I checked the crackers were made on a dedicated line but not in a dedicated facility. Not sure is that's still true.

richard

So, let's imagine two hypothetical, similar products.

Product A is labeled as gluten-free, but they do not test and rely on their good faith and hope that major cross contamination does not happen. They, of course, say nothing on their package about testing.

Product B is also labeled as gluten-free. This manufacturer is concerned that cross-contamination might taint their product, and so they test. The most widely used test that is cost effective has a sensitivity level of 20 ppm. That's the one they use, and they say so on their label.

Which one would you buy?

Neither. Most processed foods bother me.

I am with you, I just cut out a big list of processed food and those crackers are out. I am also going to cut out most baked goods of any kind, so I hope I don't find Udi's bread yet. I will add some of this back in when my skin heals.

I'm glad that they're truthful in their labeling. That way people can make an INFORMED choice.

Back when I was first healing, I reacted to a level of 33 ppm (Amy's pizza- I called and they sent a sample to University of Nebraska for testing).

I' happy to say that after being gluten-free for awhile, I no longer react to much at all. Occasionally CC will get me, but I appreciate ANY company that is honest in its labeling.