Imanistj

Asking A Chain Supermarket To Carry A Product.

Rate this topic

I read several forums and have seen many recommendations and much high praise for Udi's bread. It is frozen and comes from a Colorado company. It would cost me more than $20 to pay for and ship a loaf to me in the Syracuse area of NY. I am so picky I have yet to love a product that members praise as fabulous, but the enthusiasm that people have for Udi's is something I can't overlook. I am considering spending the money and ordering a loaf, and if I like it I plan to ask Wegman's supermarkets to stock it. Has anyone had any experience convincing a large chain store to add a product? I was going to attend my local support group for the first time this Sunday but a good friend has asked a favor and I must skip the meeting and help my friend. If I find I like this bread I would try to get group members to join me in my request to Wegmans. Missing the meeting this Sunday means I will have to wait until their January meeting.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I too am anxious to try Udi's after soooo many favorable recommendations. Although I'm hesitant to order as I've been disappointed by other bread suggestions.

Yesterday I requested my local Whole Foods stock Udi's. Udi's website indicated that many Whole Foods Markets already carry their bread and WF already has a large gluten-free bread selection, so I just emailed my local store and am hopeful they'll stock the bread.

For a large chain store...I've talked directly to the local store manager to request other items in the past - they did increase their selection of gluten-free pasta.

I may order Udi's online as well and did find that the shipping cost only went up a few cents for more loaves, so I'm trying to decide if I should order more loaves - waiting to hear whether my local whole foods will stock before I order.

Good Luck!

I'm sure there is a store in Syracuse that carries this bread. I'd call around to the health and natural foods stores in your area before paying for shipping for a loaf of bread. Check with the local gluten free organization in your area to see if anyone knows who carries Udi's products.

Also Udi's might ship you a free sample if you call and ask. Some places are willing to do this to gain customers.

Have not found it in intown Atlanta, and Whole Foods and REturn to Eden never heard of it.

If you know where to buy it here, let me know.

There are rumors of a Gluten Free Bakery opening in the Atlanta/Roswell ARea.

It would cost me more than $20 to pay for and ship a loaf to me in the Syracuse area of NY.

Have you tried Natur-tyme on Bridge Street?

http://www.natur-tyme.com/

If they don't have it, maybe they would consider ordering?

I read several forums and have seen many recommendations and much high praise for Udi's bread. It is frozen and comes from a Colorado company. It would cost me more than $20 to pay for and ship a loaf to me in the Syracuse area of NY. I am so picky I have yet to love a product that members praise as fabulous, but the enthusiasm that people have for Udi's is something I can't overlook. I am considering spending the money and ordering a loaf, and if I like it I plan to ask Wegman's supermarkets to stock it. Has anyone had any experience convincing a large chain store to add a product? I was going to attend my local support group for the first time this Sunday but a good friend has asked a favor and I must skip the meeting and help my friend. If I find I like this bread I would try to get group members to join me in my request to Wegmans. Missing the meeting this Sunday means I will have to wait until their January meeting.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

For large chain I have found it's a bit difficult. At my local Food Lion I requested the betty crocker chocolate chip cookies and the chocolate cake mix. They had just the brownies and wasn't driving across town to the other Food Lion that was carrying the choc. chip cookies and yellow cake mix. I figured I could just ask and they'd get it.

I did, but it took them almost two months to finally carry all four baked goodies. I think the popularity was higher than expected. Or maybe it was me who was keeping the stock low on brownies! :lol:

I do shop at Nature Tyme and gnash my teeth at the prices. It is possible I have missed Udi's in the frozen bread section. There are no Whole Foods or Trader Joe's anywhere here. I wish all I had to do was drive across town to find another store. I live out in farm country and Auburn, a very small city is 35 minutes away. Syracuse stores are 50 minutes to an hour and 15 minutes away, depending on where they are located in the Syracuse area. I am so unimpressed with any gluten-free bread, made from scratch, mix or frozen that I hesitate to order from Udi. However, I really need to find MY gluten-free bread. I just made French toast from Toro Celiac Safe White Bread Mix and it was not worth finishing--in my terribly picky opinion.

Jerseyangel, did you Google and find Nature Tyme or do you know the Syacuse area?

Jerseyangel, did you Google and find Nature Tyme or do you know the Syacuse area?

Imanistj,

I'm from Syracuse, currently living in Texas. My husband's and my families are there, so we go back for visits. My mom also has family in Auburn. :)

Have you tried Gluten Free Pantry French Bread Mix?

If your whole Foods doesn't carry it yet, ask for the manager when you are there, or email and ask them to special order it. Mine does that, and will be carrying it full time after my third special order. I am working on getting Mother's Market to carry it, but no luck yet. I will wear them down soon, I am sure. TJ's basically said no way :angry:

I just got my order: White bread, pizza crusts, lemon streusel muffins and whole grain bread. This is the first time I have tried the whole grain and it is YUMMMOOOO :D I think I like it more than the white!

If your whole Foods doesn't carry it yet, ask for the manager when you are there, or email and ask them to special order it. Mine does that, and will be carrying it full time after my third special order. I am working on getting Mother's Market to carry it, but no luck yet. I will wear them down soon, I am sure. TJ's basically said no way :angry:

I just got my order: White bread, pizza crusts, lemon streusel muffins and whole grain bread. This is the first time I have tried the whole grain and it is YUMMMOOOO :D I think I like it more than the white!

Is that the Mother's in Irvine or in Costa Mesa on 17th Street? We go to Irvine and Costa Mesa locations. I wasn't aware WF or Mother's took special orders! TJs is impossible, probably because they are owned by some huge European company (at least that's what I read in a book about TJs).

Imanistj,

I'm from Syracuse, currently living in Texas. My husband's and my families are there, so we go back for visits. My mom also has family in Auburn. :)

Have you tried Gluten Free Pantry French Bread Mix?

Jerseyangel,

I have made their sandwich bread along with several other companys' regular breads. I have not tried any special breads because I am still trying to find a sandwich bread I can accept.

I'm from Stratford, CT originally and would live in Maine if I had the chance. Anywhere near salt water is better than land locked. I do live in a beautiful farming area with plenty of rivers and lakes, but they don't smell like the sea.

My friend and I ended up going to Nature Tyme today. As I went through the check out I asked the clerk if the store was interested in requests. He said they are very willing to consider new products and took the information regarding Udi's. He will give it to his boss tomorrow and call me to let me know if she is interested. That was really easy!

Is that the Mother's in Irvine or in Costa Mesa on 17th Street? We go to Irvine and Costa Mesa locations. I wasn't aware WF or Mother's took special orders! TJs is impossible, probably because they are owned by some huge European company (at least that's what I read in a book about TJs).

I live in HB, and MM is on Beach Blvd. They've been giving me a hard time, then I pointed out that they already carry Udi's granola, and they lightened up a bit. Whole Foods on Jamboree has half a case of Udis white and multi grain in their freezer in the bakery section right now. I just picked some up on Sat! Sue Matthis as WF will order anythinig you like.

My friend and I ended up going to Nature Tyme today. As I went through the check out I asked the clerk if the store was interested in requests. He said they are very willing to consider new products and took the information regarding Udi's. He will give it to his boss tomorrow and call me to let me know if she is interested. That was really easy!

Good news! I suggested them because my sister has told me that the manager (?) is very open to considering new products. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you :)

I have been trying to get Publix to order the gluten free oatmeal and they take down my information and never call me back. They keep saying "let me contact our vendor and we will let you know"! I called them three times on this and get the same answer every time! I don't even know why they offer the service if they can't follow through. I also find expired product on their shelves so I can't imagine what it would take to get them to carry gluten free bread.

I'm also a dedicated Udi's fan. I spend the summer in Colorado and brought back about 5 loaves of bread that are now almost gone. It is not cost effective to order only 1 loaf....I believe about 8 loaves are packed in a box. Upon arriving home to AZ I tried another 2 recipes trying to duplicate Udi's, and nothing came close. I've made the decision to splurge on Udi's bread, and will continue to bake other food from scratch to compensate for the cost of shipping Udi's. Udi's tastes like real bread and it stays soft and fresh for days after thawing it. It's the real deal. I will continue to bake bread for croutons, stuffing, toast, etc.. I save the Udi's for a real sandwich treat.

Sedona bakeries sell gluten free bread, but it has soy or dairy in it, so I cannot buy bread locally that I can eat.

I'm in Colorado and have easy access to many Udi's products. I can send you 1-2 to try if you want. Honestly, Udis is not my favorite. There's another company called "Outside the Breadbox" that we prefer. The softest dinner rolls EVER, plus hot dog buns that are to die for (and I'm not even gluten-free and I like them).

I like the Outside the Breadbox items, too. But they are heavier - denser? - than the Udi's. I think that's what won me over to Udi's was their light porous bread. I've heard their cinnamon rolls are to die for, but I'm not a cinn_roll fan.

There are getting to be more and more very good gluten-free products, especially baked goods.

I love Outside the Breadbox ginger cookies and Italian seasoned croutons, and cherry pie. Yes, it's expensive, but so worth it. I don't smoke or drink (except gluten free beer with tacos or pizza) or gamble, so food is my habit. Udi's bread is a small 12 oz. loaf, and is porous...which concerned me when I first purchased it. One heavenly sandwich was all I needed to put Udi's on my must have list for life.

Has anyone tried the breadbox's dinner rolls?

I've struck out asking both my local Whole Foods and Jimbos (health food store) to carry Udi's.

Yesterday I asked Amazon to start carrying - they already carry Udi's granola so I am hopeful.

If anyone else buys from amazon, please contact them to ask them to carry -- we buy cereal, flours, cake/brownie/pancake mixes and pasta from them because of free shipping and the subscribe and save 15% discount on many gluten-free items.

Thanks!!!

I live in HB, and MM is on Beach Blvd. They've been giving me a hard time, then I pointed out that they already carry Udi's granola, and they lightened up a bit. Whole Foods on Jamboree has half a case of Udis white and multi grain in their freezer in the bakery section right now. I just picked some up on Sat! Sue Matthis as WF will order anythinig you like.

Thank you! Good to know.

We tried to get the Irvine MM to offer gluten-free menu items in their restaurant. They tried it once, for about a week through a couple weekly specials and ONLY at the Irvine location (we were out in CM & they'd never heard of the specials). It was disappointing (premade pizza which had tomatoes or pesto with walnuts - hubby is allergic to tomatoes & walnuts). Their regular menu never had any gluten-free bread or pasta added to it. Not sure what they're thinking being a health food store. Then again, there'd be concern about CC.