This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Pizza Crust

Mey Marie

Mey Marie Explorer

My husband and I made Pizza last night and it was so terrible. We used Natures Highlights Brown Rice Pizza Crust. It comes frozen. It was so grainy and dense. It stuck to my molars every time I tried to chew it.

Does any one know of a good frozen one or a mix that is good. Or even a homemade recipe?

Meg

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

psawyer Proficient

We have had great results with the Gluten-Free Pantry French bread and pizza mix.

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast

Against the Grain pizza crust, frozen. Excellent.

jerseyangel Proficient

This one is really good and easy. I got the recipe from here quite a while ago and tweaked it to our taste.

'New York Style' Pizza Crust

Makes one 16" pizza crust or two smaller crusts - foldable floppy and not crispy.

2 tablespoons rapid-rise yeast

1 1l3 cup warm milk

1 teaspoon sugar

1 1l3 cup white rice flour

1 cup cornstarch

2 teaspoons xanthan gum

1 teaspoon salt

2 teaspoons gelatin powder

2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning Optional--I leave it out)

2 teaspoons olive oil

2 teaspoons apple cidar vinegar

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

In small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm milk and sugar.

In separate large bowl, blend together dry ingredients.

Stir in yeast mixture.

Add oil and apple cider vinegar.

Mix well.

Pat onto oiled sheet - use a sheet of plastic wrap between your hands and the dough to pat down. (makes it much easier)

Rub olive oil on top of patted out dough.

Bake plain untopped crust for 10 minutes.

Remove from oven and add toppings.

Return to oven and finish baking for another 20 minutes.

Mey Marie Explorer
We have had great results with the Gluten-Free Pantry French bread and pizza mix.

Thank you Peter,

Where can I get this?

psawyer Proficient

I get it at my local grocery store, but that won't help you. You can buy it online from several sources, including Open Original Shared Link It is my understanding that selected WalMart locations have it.

Mey Marie Explorer
I get it at my local grocery store, but that won't help you. You can buy it online from several sources, including Open Original Shared Link It is my understanding that selected WalMart locations have it.

Perfect! It says I can find it at Trader Joe's. We have one hear. I will be doing my shopping there today. Great timing.

Thank you so much Peter :rolleyes:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mey Marie Explorer
This one is really good and easy. I got the recipe from here quite a while ago and tweaked it to our taste.

'New York Style' Pizza Crust

Makes one 16" pizza crust or two smaller crusts - foldable floppy and not crispy.

2 tablespoons rapid-rise yeast

1 1l3 cup warm milk

1 teaspoon sugar

1 1l3 cup white rice flour

1 cup cornstarch

2 teaspoons xanthan gum

1 teaspoon salt

2 teaspoons gelatin powder

2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning Optional--I leave it out)

2 teaspoons olive oil

2 teaspoons apple cidar vinegar

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

In small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm milk and sugar.

In separate large bowl, blend together dry ingredients.

Stir in yeast mixture.

Add oil and apple cider vinegar.

Mix well.

Pat onto oiled sheet - use a sheet of plastic wrap between your hands and the dough to pat down. (makes it much easier)

Rub olive oil on top of patted out dough.

Bake plain untopped crust for 10 minutes.

Remove from oven and add toppings.

Return to oven and finish baking for another 20 minutes.

Thank you so much. My husband will love to make this one. He really likes to make things as much from scratch as possible. He finds it fun. I'm trying to get there :P

Mey Marie Explorer
Against the Grain pizza crust, frozen. Excellent.

Is this an easy one to get a hold of? I want to try as many of them as I can, so that When I have people over for pizza to watch the Packers play, that they won't complain about my GLUTEN FREE pizza.

lobita Apprentice

I always use the gluten-free pizza crust recipe on epicurious: Open Original Shared Link

It takes a little practice working with the really sticky dough, but with rice-floured hands and quick movements, the dough will eventually get into place.

purple Community Regular

This recipe is absolutely simple, fast and amazing:

Open Original Shared Link

and here:

https://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/index.php?showtopic=63271

I just tried it again today. I HAVE NOT made a large pizza YET, but it works great for: mini pizzas, muffins, mini muffins, bread sticks, appetizers...fun to play with...no starches.

I add 1 1/2 tsp. xanthan gum

and I use 1/2 tsp. garlic salt and 1/2 tsp. onion salt for the regular salt

omit the cayenne

add 1/2 tsp. basil and 1/2 tsp. oregano

The bottom gets slightly crispy and its not doughy, you don't need to prebake. Mix with a spoon, flour your hands and pat out.

Roda Rising Star

Try not to throw stones, but I must play devil's advocate here. I have yet to find a gluten free pizza crust to my satisfaction. Now I realize that I am never going to replicate the texture or flavor of a regular pizza crust, I just want something palatable. I don't understand how people say that others would never know the difference. Being a previous gluten eater, I know and so does my husband. I have found that I am the same way with gluten free bread. I would just rather go without. That said, I ordered some coconut flour and have been experimenting with it over the weekend. I made this and I found it to be very good. My husband even commented on that it is the best one he has tasted so far. He even thought I could con the kids into eating it. I will definately be making this again. Happy eats! :)

I'll be trying these too.

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast
Try not to throw stones, but I must play devil's advocate here. I have yet to find a gluten free pizza crust to my satisfaction. Now I realize that I am never going to replicate the texture or flavor of a regular pizza crust, I just want something palatable. I don't understand how people say that others would never know the difference. Being a previous gluten eater, I know and so does my husband. I have found that I am the same way with gluten free bread. I would just rather go without. That said, I ordered some coconut flour and have been experimenting with it over the weekend. I made this and I found it to be very good. My husband even commented on that it is the best one he has tasted so far. He even thought I could con the kids into eating it. I will definately be making this again. Happy eats! :)

At one time I felt the same as you. Now I know there are some good gluten free pizza crusts, bread and pasta. You do get what you pay for and the better tasting cost more than their weight in gold. But worth it. I'd buy them even if I wasn't gluten free.

Imanistj Contributor

I tasted "Against the Grain" recently at a celiac convention and I decided this crust was something I could actually use. Roda, I'm with you! I can ALWAYS taste and feel the difference in any gluten-free food that is substituted for the real thing. I would rather skip many gluten-free substitutes but I am presently trying to find "Against the Grain" locally. I heard that Wegman's carries it but I didn't find it there. I will check my local WalMart.

njbeachbum Explorer

(1) Bob's Red Mill pizza crust mix - add warm water, oil and eggs. I use my kitchen aid and it's super easy. Let it sit for 20 minutes before using, then i press out into a circle shape using greased wax paper above and below - makes a nice thick crust.

(2) Chebe pizza crust mix - again, very easy to make with a fork and your hands. Roll it out into shape and it makes a thin, flexible and slightly chewy pizza crust.

I used to love regular pizza and my partner is NOT celiac - and we both absolutely LOVE making and eating these pizza crusts with fresh and delicious toppings!!

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast
I tasted "Against the Grain" recently at a celiac convention and I decided this crust was something I could actually use. Roda, I'm with you! I can ALWAYS taste and feel the difference in any gluten-free food that is substituted for the real thing. I would rather skip many gluten-free substitutes but I am presently trying to find "Against the Grain" locally. I heard that Wegman's carries it but I didn't find it there. I will check my local WalMart.

I was gluten free shopping today. I picked up Against the Grain's rolls. They are excellent, light and flaky when a little warm from the microwave. I think if heated in the oven they would be more flaky. They will be my rolls for Thanksgiving.

irish daveyboy Community Regular
Try not to throw stones, but I must play devil's advocate here. I have yet to find a gluten free pizza crust to my satisfaction. Now I realize that I am never going to replicate the texture or flavor of a regular pizza crust, I just want something palatable. I don't understand how people say that others would never know the difference. Being a previous gluten eater, I know and so does my husband.

Never Fear Help is here!

This crust is listed on Peaza.Com the international Pizza Blog

and just to whet your appetite here a photo of it.

3385741295_b6e27681a5.webp

And another

3385742381_0c5f348553.webp

Best Regards,

David

EmilyR83 Rookie

I love Bob's Red Mill Pizza crust! I like it better than almost any gluten crust.

Roda Rising Star

Never Fear Help is here!

This crust is listed on Peaza.Com the international Pizza Blog

and just to whet your appetite here a photo of it.

3385741295_b6e27681a5.webp

And another

3385742381_0c5f348553.webp

Best Regards,

David

OMG! That is beautiful looking. Makes me want to lick the screen! :lol: I'll give that a shot definately. Thanks!

Roda Rising Star
I made this and I found it to be very good. My husband even commented on that it is the best one he has tasted so far. He even thought I could con the kids into eating it. I will definately be making this again. Happy eats! :)

Just fyi the pancakes were a complete flop. I really do now believe the measurements to be way off. I have another recipe for coconut pancakes that only takes 2 tbsp of coconut flour, so we'll see. The pizza crust is excellent though and good if your avoiding all grains.

tiredofbeingsickandtired Apprentice

not sure if this link will work, but here is the thread I have on facebook about my ventures with gluten free pizza. I miss tossing the dough into the air, but it pretty awesome pizza. I make my pizza without cheese, but here is one I made for our Pastor, he also has celiac.

glutenfreepizza.webp

I used Bob's gluten free pizza mix plus a few more supersecret things-

Tools-

Parchment paper -don't even attempt this without parchment paper, its only $2.84 at Wally World and theres a .75 coupon floating around out there.

2 medium wire wisk... Read More

plastic wrap

small & large glass or pyrex bowls

not completely required, but I'm ocd about details soooo...

- a pizza pan used only for starting crusts (heavy duty) & a pizza pan with holes covered with foil for a softer crust with a little crisp, or uncovered for a crispy one)

large cooling rack

Ingredients-

Crust-

Bobs Red Mill Gluten Free Pizza mix

McKormick garlic powder

McKormick italian spice mix

Salt (iodine free is what i use)

Great Value Olive oil

Unflavored gelatin -supersupersecret ingredient

2 eggs- beaten

1 1/2 cup very warm water

(energy waster) preheat oven to 425- not so green but I can live with it for a good pizza

-empty crust mix into the small bowl -set yeast packet aside

shake in 2-3 shakes each of garlic powder and italian spices (one of these days I promise to start measuring)

add a round 1/2 tsp salt or a shallow 3/4 tsp ;P

whisk carefully to get a bit of air in the mix and combine all the ingredients so they can get to know each other

-add 1 1/2 cups very warm water to large glass bowl, empty yeast packet (included in the mix) into the bown and stir carefully with a whisk - let sit for about 3 minutes

-whisk in one packet of unflavored gelatin until thoroughly dissolved- let sit for another 2-3 minutes

-whisk in beaten egg and 2 tbsp of olive oil

with a fork stir in crust mix from the small bowl- stir until the dough pulls away from the bowl.

cover your CLEAN hands with olive oil and shape the dough into one big glob, toss glob around in about 1-2 table spoons of olive oil until coated all over

-cut the glob O dough in half with a knofe coated in olive oil

wrap the bowl with plastic and place ON TOP of warm oven

wait 20 minutes for glob to rise

-cover heavy duty pan with parchment lightly greased with olive oil

-remove one glob (with oiled clean hands), slap it on the pan, and recover the bowl

-lightly grease another piece of parchment and place it over the glob O dough

carefully work the glob between the 2 sheets of parchment, my heavy duty pan has elevated sides so its easy to work out a 14" pizza. This takes time, try to keep it even with a little more at the edges all the way around.

-remove the top parchment and place several sticks of string cheese all the way around about 1/4-1/2" from the outer edge. You should end up with a 12" pie

-oil hands again and carefully turn dough over string cheese without ripping dough- *don't think or say bad words when it rips, just dab dough with paper towel and reseal

-seal edge with a fork (oiled of course)

-let sit for about 3-5 minutes- it will take you this long to wash oil off your hands anyway

bake for 9 minutes until bottom has started to brown

-Transfer parchment and pie to pizza pan with holes (*see note about about foil or no foil)

Toppings-

-Enrico's Pizza Sauce (found at Lowes Foods, worth EVERY penny) - spread as much as you like on the top of the pie

-I use a 2/1 mixture of great value mozzarella & monterey jack- *shred fresh at home for best melting

-a few shakes of shredded kraft parmesan

-any meat that will dry out first goes on first sooo...

-chopped Oscar Mayer canadian bacon will go on first

-ground beef browned with olive oil and italian spices is next

-Hormel Bacon bits or pieces (fresh cooked hormel bacon if you have the time)

--Hormel Pepperoni allllll over

a few shakes of shredded parmesan and a little bit more of the shredded cheese mixture is last

Slap it back into the oven until browned and bubbly all over- about 8-14 minutes

Let it cool about 5 minutes before you slice

you can warm more pizza sauce and/or clarified garlic butter for dipping

Bless your pizza and thank the Lord

enjoy a slice or 3

run the next morning to make up for the rest of the pizza you're gonna eat for breakfast

little side note- Papertown has pizza boxes & foil tubs super super cheap. I truly believe that it tastes better straight from a pizza box- and you can take it into Pizza Inn and feel normal while everyone else eats their pizza. I did check with the manager and he said "sure!"

Archived