Paleo1

Gluten Food Levels

Rate this topic

I was wondering if anybody knew of charts, tables, etc. listing the gluten levels in specific foods? I am gluten intolerance, but not celiac, and would like to know what foods definitely that I should avoid with the least consequences (if you know what I mean).

I was wondering if anybody knew of charts, tables, etc. listing the gluten levels in specific foods? I am gluten intolerance, but not celiac, and would like to know what foods definitely that I should avoid with the least consequences (if you know what I mean).

Doesn't happen in the U.S., or anywhere else I know of. Generally speaking, I believe that wheat has more than rye or barely. Spelt is a low-gluten wheat.

Be aware that gluten intolerance can grow into full-blown celiac.

richard

Never seen or heard of a thing. Trying to make one would be a pretty big pain, since the amount of gluten can vary if ingredients vary at all.

Since any amount of gluten triggers a reaction, levels don't really matter, do they?

Since any amount of gluten triggers a reaction, levels don't really matter, do they?

That is a matter of some difference of opinion among experts. Most believe that there is a level, which will vary from person to person, below which the healing process is faster than the damage process. In our western society, where gluten is everywhere, I do not believe that anyone is truly 100% gluten-free. You are getting some from cross-contamination. Someone eats a donut and then, without washing, presses the start button on the office copier. You use the copier, then touch your lips or eat something, also without washing. Just one example of how gluten is everywhere in our lives.

Having said all that, I do agree that if you can measure the gluten content of a product with available tests as being above their detection limit, you are probably best to avoid it. Current tests can detect as little as 5 parts per million (ppm), but they are rather expensive. More common tests detect 20 ppm. Many products labeled as gluten-free are not tested at all.