RobynJ

Diarrhea For Almost 3 Weeks

Rate this topic

My son has been gluten-free for about 2.5 months. After going gluten-free we saw improvements in the size and the form of his stools after the first couple of days. He started to have growth spurts like crazy and his temperament improved dramatically.

On Halloween my cousin made him cupcakes (gluten-free), but some residual flour in her sugar made him sick. The next day he told me his stomach hurt and acted like he was getting a cold. He was lethargic and aggressive. He then started with big, muddy stools like he had before. The last couple of weeks his morning poops only are watery. This is the only symptom that has continued. I called the NMD she suggested charcoal- I did that. It didn't really help.

I have been trying to be extra CC aware (except his preschool let him play with playdough yesterday :angry:). Is ongoing diarrhea like this normal? Or should I be worried there is something else going on?

I would be watching very carefully. To me, 3 weeks seems a long time. The last time my son got glutened, it took him almost 2 weeks to get over it. Do you eat any gluten foods in your house? If so, I would be more inclined to think it was cross contamination. I hope he feels better really soon.

What does charcoal do?

Also, I would definitly not let him play with playdough-all it takes is a little under the fingernails that you miss and he is sick=(. You can make gluten free playdough.

I'm not sure how kids react to gluten and stuff but I'd say he's probably still getting gluten somehow. I don't know how indepth you have gone for him but have you thought about lotions, shampoos, meds. It's possible it could be something else starting up too. I just went off soy because i had bout 2 weeks of bloating. i found out by doing an elimination diet. find 2-3 foods that he is completely fine with. eat the same thing all day, and slowly add in other food and figure out if there are other intollerances.

Marsha

-self diagnosed gluten/dairy/soy intolerant

I will try CC first- since no elimination will diet will work without fixing any CC issues. Thanks... I do need to check the lotions and the shampoos in the house. I checked his- but maybe he is getting off one of us.

Thanks