Richard Charlebois

Potato Starch Flour Subsitute For Bread Making!

Rate this topic

hi

new to this site

Does anyone know a potato starch flour subsitute for bread making!

Our stomache and pocket book will sure be in appreciation.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

This is a problem I am currentlly faced with too. It seems there is potato starch in EVERYTHING. I just printed out an article from Karina's Kitchen on flour substitutions. She says: Match your flour weight. Sub sorghum with fine brown rice flour (medium to medium) for instance and heavier millet with heavier buckwheat. Sub cornstarch with potato starch or tapioca starch (starch to starch). Trouble is, most of the recipes already call for all three starches in combination. I am still dithering myself about what to try. I think I would probably, for the potato starch, take half of one of the other starches, and half sorghum, or you could try white rice flour if the recipe doesn't already have that in it. But because the starches do have different properties and different uses in the bread, it's important not to get too far away from the starch quantities called for. Some people just opt to sub more tapioca for the potato. Obviously, if your recipe calls only for tapioca and potato starches, you could sub corn starch for the potato and see what happened. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.