missybean

Converting Regular Recipes With gluten-free Flour

Rate this topic

My question is can I take any regular recipe where it called for regular flour and use my gluten-free flour in place of it. So like for instance.....if my apple cake recipe calls for 2 cups of flour can I use two cups of my gluten free flour mixture?

Is it cup for cup?

My question is can I take any regular recipe where it called for regular flour and use my gluten-free flour in place of it. So like for instance.....if my apple cake recipe calls for 2 cups of flour can I use two cups of my gluten free flour mixture?

Is it cup for cup?

No, not necessarily. I think it depends on the flour blend you use. I saw a cake recipe in our local newspaper that called for 450g flour, or 400g of Orgran gluten free flour (Orgran being a British brand). If you used the full measure of flour I think you probably would need more liquid because the gluten free flours (some more than others) seem to absorb more liquid. Teff is a flour that takes a huge amount of liquid for example.

There are several gluten-free flour blends that state they are a one to one meaning you just replace the reg. flour to the gluten-free blend.Ie: Jules flour blend: Meister's flour blend is wonderful , you just add more baking powder if the recipe calls for it. BetterBatter Flour blend; Domata living flour just to name a few.... Tom Sawyer is another.hth

mamaw