This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Pet Peeve Regarding The Slaying Of The English Language.

Imanistj

Juliebove Rising Star

There's a commercial on TV where the guy says "fith" instead of "fifth". Today I heard it on the radio. Drives me nuts! There's another radio commercial for a Chevrolet dealership where the guy says "ChevAlay". I've heard people say "Crishan" for "Christian". One woman even named her son that. I wondered why she would do that if she couldn't even pronounce it!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
mushroom Proficient
I've heard people say "Crishan" for "Christian". One woman even named her son that. I wondered why she would do that if she couldn't even pronounce it!

Then there's the parents who know how its pronounced but have no idea how to spell it. So these poor kids end up with all these crazy variants. One caregiver who worked for my MIL was called Renee. When I saw her name spelled, it was Rena. Now I grew up with someone named Rena, Reena. When I told the actual Renee her name was misspelled she was most offended, especially when she heard how I pronounced it. :lol:

Juliebove Rising Star

I just found another one. I had forgotten about my coworker who said this all the time until I heard it on a TV show and then heard it again on the following one. Eek! What they said was, "You take and put it over there...". Or something like that. At any rate, it was the "Take and" part that I didn't get.

Imanistj Contributor

Are any of you who have read and/or responded to my original post regarding my aversion to the word "yummy" (I feel nauseated just writing the word :angry: ) making an effort to stop using the noxious term? Please folks, I am almost in tears every time I see or hear it. How about a list of people who swear they will never again use that *>@#^! <#%*^ word?

Number one......ME!

TrillumHunter Enthusiast

Was that your original intent for posting this? That word will never go away on this board or anywhere else.

If you don't overcome your aversion to it, you'll never be able to read a recipe, food or restaurant review on this board. People say it. It's a word.

Good luck. I had no idea this was so serious for you. I thought it was just a fun thread. :(

Imanistj Contributor

TrillumHunter--

OMG! I was just being silly when I wrote that post (#129)! I have thoroughly enjoyed every response since I started this thread. Guess you aren't going to add your name the list. I don't believe "yummy" will be so ubiquitous in a year or two. I think it is mostly a fad and people will eventually find a new term to overwork. I believe Rachel Ray contributed to this with her "yummo." I'm old enough to remember "fabtastic" and no, I never said it. Hope your knickers aren't still in a knot :)

Roda Rising Star

I'm having a hard time correcting my 5 year old. He says yogrit for yogurt. His father says it like this too. Grrr.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

TrillumHunter Enthusiast
TrillumHunter--

OMG! I was just being silly when I wrote that post (#129)! I have thoroughly enjoyed every response since I started this thread. Guess you aren't going to add your name the list. I don't believe "yummy" will be so ubiquitous in a year or two. I think it is mostly a fad and people will eventually find a new term to overwork. I believe Rachel Ray contributed to this with her "yummo." I'm old enough to remember "fabtastic" and no, I never said it. Hope your knickers aren't still in a knot :)

Um, whew.

You called it right. I do have my knickers in a knot today and it has NOTHING to do with the word yummy.

I'll lighten up now, thank you.

Don't get me started on RR. I wish I could post the video I made with my son playing Rachel and me playing Martha. Funny stuff.

Have a great day!

jerseyangel Proficient

My best friend growing up used to say "saushish" instead of "sausage". I also remember people in my hometown (including my own mother) calling a "sandwich" a "sangwich".

Juliebove Rising Star
My best friend growing up used to say "saushish" instead of "sausage". I also remember people in my hometown (including my own mother) calling a "sandwich" a "sangwich".

On one of the newsgroups I frequent, the Australian people were talking about eating sangers. I didn't know what this meant so I looked it up and it said it was short for sandwich. I asked how this could be short for that and they acted rather incredulous and said it was short for sangwich as it is usually called. Up until then I had never heard it called that. They also say brekky for breakfast and bicky for biscuit (cookie). Sounds like baby talk to me.

It also seems to me that the British use a lot of slang words. At least on the TV shows I watch. The ones I talk to online claim we Americans use a lot of slang too. If so, I guess I don't notice it very much. Yes, I know I use a little bit, but it doesn't seem to be nearly the amount that they do.

mushroom Proficient

T'is a very Down Under thing to do, to add the diminutive-type ending to coined words, and for words of activity. My ear has become re-attuned to it, but when I first came back it drove me NUTS. We have yachties, boaties (without sails!) bikies (as opposed to biccies) which the Americans also do as cookies! We attend/play footie (rugby or soccer), we avoid the truckies on the road.... the list is practically endless. As you say, Julie, it sounds very childish!

2Boys4Me Enthusiast
There's a commercial on TV where the guy says "fith" instead of "fifth". Today I heard it on the radio. Drives me nuts!

GAAAAH!! Can't STAND that...or "twelth". There's an F there people. (This means you, son. )

Imanistj Contributor

I always feel a little embarrassed for Brits when they call TV or television "telly."

Imanistj Contributor

Most people in the US are guilty of this.....

I always try TO do something. Sometimes I succeed; I try AND do it.

nikki-uk Enthusiast
I always feel a little embarrassed for Brits when they call TV or television "telly."

:lol:

Now you mention it, it does sound daft!

Jestgar Rising Star
:lol:

Now you mention it, it does sound daft!

No more so than barby (as in shrimp on the...)

Mango04 Enthusiast

my pet peeve of the day (so glad there is a place to vent about it :D ):

In writing...... would, could or should OF

ahhhhh

it's should've, which is the contraction of should HAVE not should OF arg.... B)

also, definitely....there is no a in definitely :P :P

p.s. sorry, I just realized that wasn't anything about "cute words," just random grammatical and spelling related annoyances. lol. oh well close enough :P

mbrookes Community Regular

I am really distressed by the poor language skills I observe every day. The newspaper, on television, everywhere.... it is as if these people never went to English class past third grade.

Using the pronoun "I" does not make you sound correct. Sometimes you need to use "me". Reflexive pronouns (myself) can't be used unless it is refering to a noun.There and their are not the same. Neither are threw and through.

Where are the proof readers? Do they exist any more? Can you tell I am a frustrated retired teacher???? ARRRGGGGHHHHHHHHH

G-freegal12 Contributor

*gasp* "Theres a hoss over there!"

"A what?"

"A hoss."

"What are you talking about? All I see are horses!" :P

• 2 weeks later...
still tiredofdoctors Rookie
I believe the most common usage of "bless her/your/his heart" is while one is saying something nasty about someone else. For instance: "Mary, bless her heart, is getting quire a butt, isn't she?" That's the context I always heard my Granny, Mom, Aunts using it <_<

I just read through this thread, and at this point I am literally laughing out loud! My son calls us "The Grammar Police"!

Being Southern, I can attest that "bless her/your/his heart", at least when referring to an adult, is frequently nastiness made more "palatable"! When regarding children it is more often than not conveying sympathy. It is usually then said as "Well, bless his / her little heart."

There is the joke about the three women who received anniversary presents . . . the Southern woman receiving etiquette lessons. The phrase she acquired? "You don't say . . . ?" which actually means "Kiss my arse."

There are so many things listed here that are my "pet peeves", as well! "Irregardless"? Drives me insane!

I think it is very irresponsible on the part of television. particularly respected news programs, allowing poor grammar skills displayed frequently by "anchors". If the people who are supposed to be more knowledgeable with regard to history as well as current affairs model such poor grammar, who are the up-coming generation's role models? (Other than rap stars!)

Imanistj Contributor

I have a few more.

Free gifts.

When was the last time anyone paid you for giving them a gift. A gift IS free!

Young girl, or boy.

If someone is a young girl I must assume we also have old girls. Is a young girl 5? Or 15? Oh, she is a teen! A girl is of the female sex. Girls are not yet adults. Teens are stuck in the middle. Babies can't walk, toddlers do. So when is a young girl no longer young? I am 65. Am I an old girl? I think not! I am a senior citizen and retired!!!! Yea!

mushroom Proficient

Down here, there is an official designation of "old girl."!! Once you have graduated from an all-female high school (yes, we have them even in the public system), you are officially designated as being an "old girl", (that's what the school organization for those who have left the school is called--the XYZ Old Girls Association) and it doesn't matter how *old* you are, from 17-107, it's all the same :P

But *you* are probably not an "old girl" unless you went to an all girls high school :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
DownWithGluten Explorer
:ph34r: I have a pet peeve against people who critizice others' grammar/English or are always jumping to point out when something is incorrect, even though they know that they know what the other person meant to say. Shh...this thread is probably not for me, then... *hides*
  • 2 weeks later...
Juliebove Rising Star

The other day I was watching a show on PBS and the guy was saying how importatant it was to put down "loom" under your patio so it didn't slide around. The word he meant was "loam".

Then later, these two guys kept talking about the "PIE-laster" they were putting around the fireplace. I couldn't figure that one out, thinking it had something to do with keeping pies from going bad or something. I finally looked up the word "pilaster" and discovered that was what they meant. Turns out I had been mis-prouncing it too! I thought it was like "PILL-aster". But it's "pill-LASTER".

• 4 weeks later...
momofk&n Newbie

Just found this thread-

I have an aunt that drops the r instead of adding it. As a child I had some pointed questions for my mother on adult practices after hearing my aunt say, "I went to a "potty" last night with some people." :blink:

Archived