This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

White Chicken Chili Recipe

sunnybabi1986

sunnybabi1986 Contributor

I made this chili last night and had to share it because it was SO good!!

White Chicken Chili

Ingredients:

1 lb great northern beans (dry) or canned

4 cups chopped cooked chicken breast ( I used 2 lbs)

1 T Olive Oil

2 Medium onions, chopped

4 cloves garlic, minced

2 4 oz. can chopped mild green chilies

2 tsp ground cumin

1 1/2 tsp dried oregano

1/4 tsp cayenne pepper

6 cups chicken stock/canned broth

3 cups grated monterey jack cheese

Soak beans overnight in water in fridge

Cook chicken and put in crock pot or large stock pot

Add beans to chicken

In saute pan, heat olive oil

Add onions, chopped garlic, and green chilies. Saute 2 minutes

Add cumin, oregano, and cayenne pepper. Saute 2 more minutes

Add to beans and chicken

Add chicken broth

In crock pot or on stove, cook until beans are soft (for us, 2 hours on the stove was perfect)

Top with cheese and sour cream

We also made Bob's Red Mill cornbread and it went PERFECT with the chili

SO delicious and naturally gluten free!!!

Janie

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast

We just finished this for supper. It is great and very easy to make. I used canned white beans instead of cooking my own. I used leftover chicken. Yes it needs the green chilies, they are not hot. I tossed it all into the crock-pot on high for a few hours.

My dd is having seconds. He said this soup is really good, really good! This is from a person who thinks food is just fuel and will not touch anything spicy. He thinks garlic and green peppers are spicy, yes regular green peppers. So do not think this is really spicy. It's not. Could be if you'd add some chopped jalapenos which I might do to my next bowl.

It does need the cumin too. This makes the dish. If you do not have cumin on hand you could try taco seasoning since it usually has cumin in it.

This is what I did to make this recipe.

Dumped some olive oil in a pan, tossed in two handfuls of chopped frozen onions, was too lazy to do a clove of garlic so I sprinkled in some garlic powder. Put in four shakes of cumin and spike seasoning and two shakes of cayenne pepper. Sauteed this until the onions were cooked. I chopped two chicken breasts of leftover chicken and tossed it in to the pan. Dumped in a can of white northern bean (without draining) and a can of chopped green chiles. I had half a box of frozen chicken broth so I dumped this into a small crock-pot, dumped on the chicken mixture. Turned it on high about 4 hours. Probably took less than 10 minutes to make. Most excellent recipe.

This could be done with canned chicken.

So I did it the lazy way. I think next time I'll follow the recipe to the letter since it's so very good.

Thanks for sharing.

Imanistj Contributor

Where do you get taco seasoning without wheat? I am assuming you mean a packaged mix. I had to give up using Chili-O and adding my own seasonings. I also use cumin in a number of dishes.

sunnybabi1986 Contributor
Where do you get taco seasoning without wheat? I am assuming you mean a packaged mix. I had to give up using Chili-O and adding my own seasonings. I also use cumin in a number of dishes.

This recipe doesn't use any packaged seasoning, but I use McCormick taco seasoning for tacos and Williams Chili Seasoning for red chili-both are gluten free and clearly list any allergens on the label. Good luck!

Janie

freeatlast Collaborator

It is hard to mess up white chili. We love it!

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast

Since I had leftovers from yesterday, we had this again for dinner (cleaning out the refrig for turkey). I added some water and dropped in some dumplings (from Grandma Ferdon's). It was just as excellent as a leftover.

This will be great with leftover turkey!

• 2 weeks later...
codetalker Contributor

Made this dish today and had it for lunch. Great recipe!

Thanks for sharing it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ciavyn Contributor

This sounds amazing. I'm going to try it this weekend. Is there any reason to saute things? I was thinking of doing this in the crockpot, and usually I just throw everything in there.

Also, any suggestions on taste if you don't use cheese? Any substitutes for the cheese that don't involve dairy? I'm trying to avoid it.

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast

With or without the cheese, it's still good.

purple Community Regular
This sounds amazing. I'm going to try it this weekend. Is there any reason to saute things? I was thinking of doing this in the crockpot, and usually I just throw everything in there.

Also, any suggestions on taste if you don't use cheese? Any substitutes for the cheese that don't involve dairy? I'm trying to avoid it.

You wouldn't need to saute the veggies, they just need longer to cook. The beans and chicken are precooked so they need less time to heat up. I usually saute the onions, garlic ad peppers before adding to my chili b/c I use canned beans. If not then I get them started cooking in the crock pot first.

I like to put green onions, chopped tomatoes and/or avocados on my chili...you don't need cheese/sour cream. I am sure it would still be delish w/o! I don't care for sour cream.

minniejack Contributor

Have you tried follow your heart cheese--tastes pretty close to the real thing, but no casein or lactose at all

Archived