This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I Can Walk Again! Want To Celebrate!

Lynayah

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast

My dd was to Mayo Physical Therapy because one of her doctors thought custom orthotics might help. After the evaluation PT decided that over the counter inserts would be just fine for her. Cost if $44. So be sure to check around if you think you need custom orthotics/inserts. If you do not have a serious foot problem, over the counter inserts might do the trick. The PT therapist also demanded we continue to buy good shoes. She was pleased to see that my dd wore SAS and I wore New Balance. Our local PT Therapist had told us if we could bend the toe of the shoe to the heel (folding your shoe in half) very easy, that the shoe was not providing enough support. My dd was sad to toss out a lot of her Skechers shoes but now her feet do not hurt.

So caution: If you check with someone who makes custom orthotics/inserts I'm sure they will say you need them. Check with your PT department also.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ang1e0251 Contributor

I wear stainless steel inserts and those saved me a number of years ago. Since going gluten-free, two years ago...HEY, it's my 2 year anniversery!...so much more pain, neuropathy and other foot pain have gone by the wayside. I still need the inserts and I replace the rubber stopper thingees every couple of months but it's a huge difference. I can relate to being able to wear leather shoes even sometimes pretty shoes for awhile. I used to revert to wooden Dr. Scholls as my fall back shoes.

I congratulate you on walking for a whole day in leather shoes and no follow up pain!! I used to have to massage castor oil into my feet 2-3 times a day to combat the pain but I seldom do that any more.

I say paint your toenails and go try on pretty shoes. You don't have to buy them, just take a picture of your feet in the shoes and meditate on them until you are well enough to wear them for real!!

Lynayah Enthusiast
Lynayah .... so happy you are doing so well!!!

Hi there! Thanks!

Off topic I know, but what happened to your adorable photo?

Lynayah Enthusiast
I have had foot pain (not to the extent of you and not gluten related) due to plantar fasciitis and flat feet. No shoe would be comfortable. The foot problem started causing me leg, back and hip pain. In my neverending search for a comfortable shoe with a good arch support, I found Keen shoes. I love them. The first time I put them on I was in heaven. They were comfortable right out of the box. I now have one pair of sandals (almost worn out) and three pair of regular shoes and I want more. They are a little odd looking but the comfort factor makes up for it. They do have some cute sandals and mary jane type shoes that would look good with buisness casual. I am glad you are doing well and have continued health.

Wow -- checked out Keen online. Looks great! I'm going to give a pair a try.

Lynayah Enthusiast
My family thinks I am a bit loco because I see symptoms of this everywhere now. I. too, have become an activist of sorts and take any chance I can to educate those willing to listen as long as they don't get that glazed over look in their eyes (is that the gluten glaze talking???) Even though people want to have pity on me for having to "give up so much" dietarily I really feel it is the other way around. Yes, and while the food commercials and cooking shows shows like Diners, Drive-ins and Dives that my family loves to watch do get me every once in a while I will never trade that for this. I have never, and I truly mean never, felt this good in all my living years. The last few were dying years..but now I am back to living and I am going to chose that any day over the other!

May you have many years of slipper free dancing.....oh, but slippers are still good. I have fun with the thought that since people expect me to wear inappropriate footwear, I do so unapologetically with no hesitation anymore even though I can now run like the wind and wear real shoes too.

CS

What a great post!

I know what you mean about "dying years" -- all too well.

Yes, yes, me too -- I see symptoms in so many people -- people who have white spots on their teeth, people who have been diagnosed with RA, IBS, etc., people who cannot understand why they have a very difficult time losing weight when they eat gluten-ridden foods. (I am not as sensitive to those who do not gain and cannot gain since I've not experienced that side of things.)

I sometimes speak up, but not always. I am acutely aware that I am now looking at the world through gluten-intolerant eyes . . . and that cognitive dissonance has taken over . . . so I would guess that I am over-estimating how many others may have it.

That said, I bettcha a lot of them do.

Most do not want to look at it, sadly. I must admit that, back in the days when I could eat gluten without debilitating symptoms, I probably would have been the same way.

I actually thank the heavens that I was finally pushed into life-threatening problems. Without it, I would have just suffered through until the day I died. If someone told me I should give up gluten, I would have done everything in my power to prove them wrong. I loved gluten almost as much as life itself -- a/k/a gluten addiction.

I have only been gluten-free for a very short time, so it is too early for me to comment fully, but so far I am amazed at how DELIGHTED I am to give up gluten. Not a problem!

Of course, it helps that, should I want them, there are so many wonderful recipes out there for gluten-free breads, pancakes, etc. It wasn't so easy a few years back.

Everything is a lesson . . . EVERYTHING is a blessing when looked at the right way.

Thank you for your wonderful words!

Lynayah Enthusiast
I wear stainless steel inserts and those saved me a number of years ago. Since going gluten-free, two years ago...HEY, it's my 2 year anniversery!...so much more pain, neuropathy and other foot pain have gone by the wayside. I still need the inserts and I replace the rubber stopper thingees every couple of months but it's a huge difference. I can relate to being able to wear leather shoes even sometimes pretty shoes for awhile. I used to revert to wooden Dr. Scholls as my fall back shoes.

I congratulate you on walking for a whole day in leather shoes and no follow up pain!! I used to have to massage castor oil into my feet 2-3 times a day to combat the pain but I seldom do that any more.

I say paint your toenails and go try on pretty shoes. You don't have to buy them, just take a picture of your feet in the shoes and meditate on them until you are well enough to wear them for real!!

Castor oil? That is a new one for me. Did it help? Interesting . . .

Paint toenails: Yes! I think a pedicure is definitely in order. What a wonderful way to celebrate - thank you for the suggestion! I'm going to pick a CRAZY color, just for fun. :)

ang1e0251 Contributor

Castor oil does work for pain, not nerve pain though. Cuts, bruises also are relieved with castor oil and it is a miraculous cure for burns. I have bottles all over the house and my shop. It's the best!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived