This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Pumpkin Roll

Wenmin

Wenmin Enthusiast

Hi Ya'll,

I am currently planning to make a pumpkin roll for Thanksgiving Dinner. The ingredient list for the pumpkin roll includes: powdered sugar, all purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, ground cinnamon, ground cloves, salt, eggs, granulated sugar, pumpkin puree and chopped walnuts.

I have two different flour blends on hand to use:

Bob's Red Mill gluten-free Pancake Mix and Arrow Head Mills Gluten Free All Purpose Baking Mix.

The ingredients in the Bob's Red Mill are Potato Starch, White Sorghum Flour, Tapioca FLour, Whole Corn Flour, Evaporated Cane juice, Baking Powder, Baking Soda, Sea Salt and Xanthan Gum

The ingredients in the Arrowhead Mills are Oraganic Whole Grain Brown Rice Flour, Organic Potato Starch, Tapioca Starch, Baking Powder, Fava Bean Flour, and Sea Salt

My questions are which flour blend would make the best cake-like roll? How should I modify my ingredients in the orginal pumpkin roll with each flour blend?

Thanks,

Wenmin

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

purple Community Regular

I have never made/eaten pumpkin roll (how come :angry: ) but I remember a recipe posted on here last year. Their's has xanthan gum so be sure to use it. You can compare your recipe but they just have gluten-free flour listed:

https://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/index.ph...&pid=494152

2. Here is another recipe you could look at, with pics.:

Open Original Shared Link

3. And this one:

Open Original Shared Link

its almost identical to the first one.

I really gotta try one...plz post your results good or mess-ups!

OK...THAT DOES IT!! I am going to make this one:

4. Open Original Shared Link

for 3 reasons:

1. recipe says you can freeze it so I can make it any time

2. recipe says you can use sorghum blend and that's my fave

3. lots of pictures to look at for a beginner :lol:

Wenmin Enthusiast

This recipe is very similar to mine! Open Original Shared Link

A small tip that will make things much easier for you: sprinkle regular granulated sugar on the towel or wax paper before rolling the cake. Powdered sugar does not work as well as granulated sugar.....

My recipe was handed down from family members. You can freeze any kind of roll, whether it is a pumpkin roll, caramel pecan roll, lemon roll, strawberry roll, pineapple roll, etc. They freeze well and when you need them allow them to defrost in the refrigerator.

Wenmin

purple Community Regular
This recipe is very similar to mine! Open Original Shared Link

A small tip that will make things much easier for you: sprinkle regular granulated sugar on the towel or wax paper before rolling the cake. Powdered sugar does not work as well as granulated sugar.....

My recipe was handed down from family members. You can freeze any kind of roll, whether it is a pumpkin roll, caramel pecan roll, lemon roll, strawberry roll, pineapple roll, etc. They freeze well and when you need them allow them to defrost in the refrigerator.

Wenmin

Thanks for the sugar tip! and to use waxed paper too! and ALL the flavor ideas! and a possible chocolate roll?!?! :lol::D:blink:

I hope yours turns out amazing!

minniejack Contributor

I cheated--I gave some of my old Domata to my mother and she made a pumpking roll for my son.

It's a cup for cup exchange--she let my older, picky, sister try and they couldn't tell the difference.

My latest cup for cup flour that I keep on hand is Better Batter. Made bread the other day with it that gave me the Wonderbread taste that I've missed for a year. Just used the recipe from a Tom Sawyer Blend.

Wenmin Enthusiast

Just made my pumpkin roll using Namaste Perfect Flour Blend (decided I needed a flour blend with some xanthan gum so I visited my local health food store and the clerk recommended this flour). Did not taste the pumpkin roll yet, but it worked out wonderful. It is a beautiful pumpkin roll. Can't wait to taste it tomorrow!

I was so impressed with the flour blend that I decided to bake a Banana Cake as well. This I already tasted. It is the softest, most moist cake I've eaten since going gluten free. Not much different from a regular gluten banana cake.

I am excited to have found something I can substitie to make all of my old gluten favorite foods........

Wenmin

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

To answer the original question- the Bob's has more starch in the recipe, which will lend a softer, stickier end product. The rice flour mix would be stiffer and crumblier. So I'm guessing the first would be better for a roll. I also know it makes lovely tasting pancakes, so the flavor is good.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived