lonewolf

Soft, "flexible" Bread!

Rate this topic

I haven't been on here for months because my son was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis and we have been on the Specific Carbohydrate Diet since mid August. (It makes gluten-free seem REALLY easy.)

I discovered an easy bread recipe that I make a few times a week. It makes great sandwiches that travel well in a lunchbox, so I thought I'd share.

Soft Flat Bread

4 Egg Whites

2 Egg Yolks

1/2 C Almond Flour (can buy at Trader Joes)

1 tsp. Butter

1 tsp. Honey

Dash of salt

Beat egg whites until they form soft peaks. Then beat egg yolks with butter and honey. Sprinkle almond flour and salt onto egg whites, pour egg yolk mixture on top and gently stir until it's all mixed together. Pour/scrape onto cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. (This is the best stuff ever invented!) Smooth with the back of the spoon to about a 12" x 12" square, making sure that the thickness is consistent. Bake at 350 for 12 minutes. Remove from oven and slide bread, parchment paper and all onto a cooling rack.

I have a jelly roll type pan that has little holes in it - a pizza pan with holes in it would work well too - that makes it a little drier/crispier on the bottom.

I hope your son is feeling better :)

thank u for sharing a simple recipe like this...will definitely try this out......

Thanks for sharing that. It sounds so good. We've missed you but I hope all your work is helping your son.

Thanks for sharing that. It sounds so good. We've missed you but I hope all your work is helping your son.

Thanks! I've missed "being" here. The SCD is so time consuming that I have little time for anything besides work, cooking and cleaning. My son was very sick over the summer and it took until the end of July to get a diagnosis. He's lost 34 pounds since spring and can't seem to gain anything back. He is playing HS football (his team is in the state semi-finals on Saturday!) and has PE every day, so it's hard to get enough calories into him. He's doing really well now - just one little symptom that won't go away and having a hard time getting him to gain weight.