This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Food Avoidance And What To Do About My Situation

Christina98

Christina98 Explorer

Im curious what others think would be the best decision right now for me. Just looking for advice.

I have suffered forever with some form of not feeling well throughout life. Either bouts of sore throats, pneumonia, bronchitis, and other "itis"s unknown. I went through teen years with severe acne that i had to take an antibiotic long term to get rid of it and it eventually did. Depression has been present through my whole life its just getting worse now as I get older. I am 31 now. I have never medicated the depression ever. I was too scared to try it ( not sure of all the reasons why but I didnt) Now I am becoming desperate and need to get my self together these days because it is all escalating. I was told 9 months ago buy enterolabs that I too have a gluten intolerance and casein, Those were all I tested for. So there might be more. I never did faithfully stick to it because I am a doubter and cant hang to a restricted lifestyle to long.

Thats scary because I am desperate and want to be better more than anything in the world but I am so highly addicted to this food. I also tried The Body ecology Diet 1 year before these diagnosis and it was where you give up all sugar, gluten, dairy, and some others and you combine your food acid/alkaline categories.....she says its proper food combining.Plus she highly emphasisis kefir from milk or coconut water if allergic to milk and raw cultered veggies. She says these are the healers that will heal the gut and intestines and that this is why we have food sensitivites in the first place -froma leaky gut and bad bacteria. I did have gut issues clear with that but couldnt continue. I was 125 pounds and went to 105 and it wasnt stopping. Anyhow I will get to my questions and point. I do have money issues but went into a small savings last year just to pay for a Integrative Dr to go to who is suppose to be excellent. Needless to say i spent 1,000 cash and went home being told to do the same thing before that I did before and gave up wich was go Gluten, casein, dairy, sugar and yeast free. I was given Opti Cleanse, grapefruit seed extract and told to take probiotics. I ddidnt go back because I was told to do again much of what i could have and have done some of that on my own already. I have another appt at a New office Dec 21 it is cheaper there but still money, I am afraid if I go there gonna say we really dont know how to proceed with you until you go home and go gluten, casein, sugar and yeast free

I feel maybe I shouldnt go there til I did all those things for a few weeks so I can report back to them and be one step ahead so i am not repeating stuff to do. What do any of you think? Should I do that and just push the appt a few weeks ahead so I can have a few weeks of being completely clean of those things in my diet? Not sure why they are so adimant about seeing me after I do those things I did them before with no real improvement. I didnt do it too long but I tried :( I am very confused as to what to do. Sometimes I think I have to do alot of the main work myself. I am also thinking if I do have other food sensitivities they wont be able to find them if I avoid all of this stuff before being tested. SOOOOOOOOO Confused!

sorry so long and thank you for any advice any of you may have

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mtndog Collaborator

I think you know what most of us are going to say- you're not going to know if it makes you feel better until you give it a fair chance. You know that you don't feel good. You know you're depressed. You said that you would give anything to feel better- you've been diagnosed with food intolerances and that COULD be your answer right there.

I know it's hard to give up foods- especially those you feel addicted to. But if you really want to feel better you need to give it a fair chance. You can do it!

If you think that the doctor (and spending more $) will give you with the same advice again, then I would wait and eliminate those things that I had been diagnosed intolerant to, keep a food journal and go after you've eliminated those foods for awhile (maybe 3 months).

The most important thing you can do in my opinion is give those foods up and keep a journal of what you do eat and how it makes you feel mentally and physically.

There is a lot of support and good information on this site- people WILL support you. But, we can't do it for you. I hope this doesn't sound harsh, it's just that when I had lost over 40 pounds and was feeling very, very ill (and being tested for every disease under the sun including cancer) and very very scared I was willing to do anything. My doctor finally figured it out based on my symptoms and I went gluten-free that day and never looked back.

It was hard, there was a lot to learn and I had trying times. But I have absolutely no regrets! Here's to your health- think how wonderful it would be to feel good, look good, be in a good mood and have energy!

Christina98 Explorer
I think you know what most of us are going to say- you're not going to know if it makes you feel better until you give it a fair chance. You know that you don't feel good. You know you're depressed. You said that you would give anything to feel better- you've been diagnosed with food intolerances and that COULD be your answer right there.

I know it's hard to give up foods- especially those you feel addicted to. But if you really want to feel better you need to give it a fair chance. You can do it!

If you think that the doctor (and spending more $) will give you with the same advice again, then I would wait and eliminate those things that I had been diagnosed intolerant to, keep a food journal and go after you've eliminated those foods for awhile (maybe 3 months).

The most important thing you can do in my opinion is give those foods up and keep a journal of what you do eat and how it makes you feel mentally and physically.

There is a lot of support and good information on this site- people WILL support you. But, we can't do it for you. I hope this doesn't sound harsh, it's just that when I had lost over 40 pounds and was feeling very, very ill (and being tested for every disease under the sun including cancer) and very very scared I was willing to do anything. My doctor finally figured it out based on my symptoms and I went gluten-free that day and never looked back.

It was hard, there was a lot to learn and I had trying times. But I have absolutely no regrets! Here's to your health- think how wonderful it would be to feel good, look good, be in a good mood and have energy!

Thanks for your response. I know that I should be avoiding this stuff, I do also have other issues that I was going to direct to the Dr too wich is I dont sleep and if I happen to It is unrestful sleep and also have adrenal issues. I am a little scared that maybe i damaged my sleep more because I have been on Ambien long term and I am trying to detox myself from it now. It has been 8 days but its been hell off of it. I had had Dr;s personally tell me thid drug is BAD and to get off of it but sleeplessness is no joke and doesnt give me the strength to make it through all of this nonsense on top of it. So I hear you with the diet thing.I wonder if they can get me on track with sleep. Melatonin doesnt work for me either.

So about you, you had a lot wrong and now your fine? all from avoiding gluten?

Thanks

ravenwoodglass Mentor
Thanks for your response. I know that I should be avoiding this stuff, I do also have other issues that I was going to direct to the Dr too wich is I dont sleep and if I happen to It is unrestful sleep and also have adrenal issues. I am a little scared that maybe i damaged my sleep more because I have been on Ambien long term and I am trying to detox myself from it now. It has been 8 days but its been hell off of it. I had had Dr;s personally tell me thid drug is BAD and to get off of it but sleeplessness is no joke and doesnt give me the strength to make it through all of this nonsense on top of it. So I hear you with the diet thing.I wonder if they can get me on track with sleep. Melatonin doesnt work for me either.

So about you, you had a lot wrong and now your fine? all from avoiding gluten?

Thanks

You need to listen to the doctors and get yourself on the diet. The sleep issues the depression, the adrenal issues may all very well be due to your continueing to consume the stuff you are reacting to.

I do hope when you say your 'detoxing' from the Ambien that you mean you are stepping down the dose and not that you just cut it out all together suddenly. Talk to your doctor. They should be able to give you something that can help you sleep or give you some guidance as to how to step down your dose. Going off any drug that you have been on long term should be done with a doctors supervision.

Do get yourself at least gluten and dairy (casien) free to start. You will likely feel awful for a few days as you withdraw from the gluten but that you do need to go cold turkey on. You need to stop those antibodies.

Your in a good place for support and guidance, read as much here as you can. You can do this and all the trouble is worth it.

one more mile Contributor

Have you thought of Overeaters anonymous? They have phone meetings if you have an unlimited long distance plan.

look for oapp, not HOW oa primary purpose says your diet is between you, your HP and your doctor. They are helping me with the issues that I have. Write me if you would like more information.

information about phone meetings can be found here

Open Original Shared Link

Archived